Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Snow?  I live in California, man.  What's snow?

bear_laugh bear_tongue bear_laugh

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Okay, It snowed a bit tonight. Melted already but sure to wake up to snow in the morning. Yeah!!!!
We ran right out and threw snowballs. First snow of the year deal!!!!! :dance:
kathy

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

No snow here. I have been swimming.
Susan

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hehehhe, we never see it either.  bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I feel like I should have a carrot nose and twig arms

Kate Nah yer don't! How could you sew your bears...silly billy!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

i want snow  never snows hear to warm you guys are so lucky .

Snow looks beautiful Fran but give me your countries warmth any day. I get scared stiff when my family have to travel in the snow. Once I saw a car slide on the frozen snow and smash into a bus stop crowded with people. Many of them had injuries and one poor teenage girl lost a leg. I don't want snow here at all, although it is forecast to snow today.

Ha, ha, ha! Shelli.

With my balance problem can you just imagine me out in the snow. I'd wobble around all over the place and end up making snow angles whilst flapping around trying to get up. It's hard enough staying upright in the house let alone in the ice and snow!  bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle bear_whistle

Jane  bear_flower

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Here, we are still waiting for the snow...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
Shelli wrote:

bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

Northern Nevada, USA

DCAM6669.JPGOkay, I told you I would wake up to Snow.Can't get a picture right now, my front yard this morning, and snowing so hard you can't see the mountains. I already shoveled the front walk.

Happy Winter,
Hibernating Hugs,
Kathy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I was being facetious about the California thing; although I've never lived where it snows, ever, I have of course seen the stuff -- I live about 2-3 hours from Tahoe, depending on traffic and my inclination to speed -- and used to ski a mean run at Squaw.

I've always wondered, though... Do people who live where it snows regularly, like Kathy and her driveway, above, enjoy that?  It seems beautiful and cozy and hot-cocoa-inspiring, but also, like a heckuva lotta work!  Is it worth it?  Or do people mostly end up living amidst that kind of snow because it's where they're from -- where they call home -- and it's just too hard to leave.

???

I'm really serious with this question, and would love to know!

In 2000 I moved from the Bay Area, where we had no seasons at all to speak of.  It was my childhood home; Silicon Valley, on the Peninsula.  I'm now in Chico, where -- while we do not get snow -- we do have a seasonal change.  The weather is significantly bakingly hotter in summer and very cold in winter, and in autumn (my favorite time here, right now), the leaves of so many oaks turn color and fall to the streets below.  So pretty. 

So I'm thinking maybe people tolerate the snow, after the initial infatuation with it (that lasts ten minutes? :)) because along with it come the rest of the gorgeous seasons, and all the change that shift brings.  Just a theory of mine.

Let me know your thoughts!

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I really like the snow Shelli, but as you say it can entail a lot of hard work! It's an unusual winter when we don't have snow for a week or more, and there's nothing nicer (for me!) than to wake up to a crisp new fall of snow forming a white blanket on the ground...(where's that cocoa?!!!). But my love for it can turn to hate when it becomes slushy (yuk!) or after a day or two when it freezes and forms a layer of ice (aargh!). Both can be very dangerous and slippy underfoot.

My theory about the UK - we have very defined seasons in general, and are pretty much used to a small amount of all types of weather. Especially the rain! So we get used to it and generally ignore it, and are not best equipped for it when it happens. Now, in places where it snows a lot and it lasts for a long time, well they seem to have all the proper equipment, don't they? Proper snow shoes that help stop you sliding, properly padded outerwear to keep you warm...etc. Here, we put on our anoraks and reach for our umbrellas and we're ready for anything! Or so we think, hohoho :lol:

I will be interested to hear from others about this bear_original

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Gina & Kathy, I love your snow pictures! I wish I could send one in too, but we still have no snow here....  bear_sad

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Waiting for a white Christmas here  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I love snow... but then we have a 12 year old who likes to make extra pocket money shovling the stuff out of the driveway.  I would hate to do it myself! 
I think that for me, the change of seasons is such an important part of my very being.  Freezing temperatures are admittedly not my favorite part of the whole cycle, but they do make me ever so much more appreciative of those first soft, warm breezes and daffodils.  For me, I think that the bitter makes the sweet all that much more sweet!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Northern Nevada, USA

Hi Shelli,
I grew up in Southern California. I loved the beaches, the orchards, the lovely weather. Some people are just country people at heart, I could never stand all the people and felt crowded and choked in. I left California 20 years ago for small town life in the country.
I was fortunate it was the best thing I ever did. I met my husband in a Small town. We have moved around alot because of his work, always to small towns (except one terrible stint in Las Vegas.) YUCK.
Then we lived near Death Valley for too Long. 118 degrees for five months straight can put you off Sunshine. I love the Snow. (at least til march then I start aching for dry ground, which won't show up til June)
Since his accident we have been free to move were ever we wanted as long as our daughters liked the area. We tried to move to Oregon, a place from our past, but our house just never sold. Then we decided to move up here and the house sold. God is always in control. We are happy here and my Dad lives here.
The winter is long, but beautiful.
Kathy

Pipa UK

Helena i love your new avatar ! totally cute !!!!!  bear_wub

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I live in Southern California..... There's been a heat wave here, we were in the high 80s for a few weeks, it cooled down to the high 70s this week. Sure hard to get into the Holiday spirit when you are wearing tank tops and shorts.  :rolleyes:

I live 5 mins from the beach and this weekend they had a sand-snowman making contest!! Some of the kids I teach have never seen snow.... When it rains here, people act like its the end of the world and can not drive!! I'd hate to see southern Cali's all have to drive in snow!! I laugh so hard when we have a day or two of rain and its announced on the news as "Storm Watch 2004" like its huge and catastrophic!  bear_grin

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Kirsten get ready sweetie, I think you will be getting a lot of cold Teddy Talkers come to visit...including me...can I bring my family too!!!!!!!!!!!!   

bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes bear_rolleyes

Jane  bear_flower

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I am still waiting for the snow...  :angel:
Only fog there.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kirsten, Shelli and you southern belles..... If I could afford to overnight you all snow in those freezer packs I would!!!! In the shape of a snowball... just for you for having warmth and sunshine!  bear_tongue  :lol:

Snowmen out of sand sounds like fun!!! Never thought of that.... will have to remember that next summer when I take my nephews to the beach! They'll think Auntie Dee has lost her mind!  :wacko:

Hugs, Daphne

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

004.jpgOh my....look what we have today!!!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.  bear_whistle
I'd rather have the snow than the ice.  bear_whistle

Up here in Northern New York State, we had a litlle snow over Thanksgiving. Made the drive to the In-laws a little long.  bear_wacko

Yesterday was a nice day with the snow and cooler temps. ( around 30 F) Today is a mess. Schools are delayed because of freezing rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be rain and in the 60s F!  bear_ermm

Since I have grown up in New York and only visited warmer climates, I love the cold and the change of seasons. We decided on a recent trip to Florida that the South is not for us in retirement.......Maybe Montana!  :hug:

So, Let it Snow..... bear_whistle I love it and so do my bears.......I will need to take them out when we get some and take a pic of them frolicking in it.....  :hug: :dance:
Ellen

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Ellen, I'd love to see pics of your bears in the snow!

It's still coming down here - has been all day! The forecast is for freezing temperatures overnight, so it's tomorrow (the school run) I'm not looking forward to.

Of course, there's always the possibility we won't be able to get the car out of the drive....  bear_cool bear_tongue bear_grin

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I am so ready for the snow! But instead last night we had a thunderstorm and tornado watches! Tornado in November...that's just not right!

I think we may get some flurries tonight though. Fingers crossed!  bear_grin

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

We had 3-4 inches of snow today. Of course, the drivers are unprepared as every year  :doh:
Not very cold here though and it will probably melt again before Christmas. I want a white Christmas!

Throwing snowballs bear_innocent :whistle:

Sabine

Pipa UK

we got more snowfall today too !!!!!!!! and it is bloomin PERISHING out there !!!!!!

Board footer