Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Lizzie Allen, TX

So, my fiance was trying to be nice & picked up quite a bit of fabric for me. Unfortunately, it's that fake fur fabric that stretches like crazy, but he's sooo excited that he "helped" me that I cannot bring myself to inform him that it's gonna be hard to use.

Is there any possible way to "fix" it? I've been searching the forums & cannot find it, so I'm either dense or the answer isn't here. I think I read in 1 of my books that interfacing helps w/that problem, but I cannot for the life of me remember. I attempted to make a bear outta it last night (& I'm new to all of this anywayz, so it's all trial/error for me) & the arms are sooo huge from the stretch it's unreal. I realized I needed to ask for help & fast, so the fiance doesn't catch on to it!  :crackup:

Please help! :)

Thanks so much!
- Lizzie

beddytears Posts: 5

Hi Lizzie,

Yes, you can use it; some people use interfacing to stabilize it, others glue muslin or broadcloth on the back.  Try both and see which works best for you.  bear_original

bear hugs, Lee Ann

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

When I have used stretchy fabric I have used spray adhesive on the muslin pattern pieces I have cut and then attached it to the fur,  you can then cut out your fur.  Be careful not to use to much regular glue if you go that way, it can be hard to sew through.  Some people use glue stick.
Joanne

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

stickyTTcropped.jpgHi Lizzie
My first faux bear came out way huge, too.  Chubby.  Fat's more like it.
I tried an iron-on, but it made a mess of the fur.  Then I stumbled on Sticky+, made by Sulky.  It works really well for me.  Stays put and eliminates the stretch.  It's worth a try.  I buy it at Jo-Ann Fabrics, but any fabric store should carry it.
I love working in good quality faux.  Some don't need lining, but many do.
Hope this helps.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I like to use Sassy's Magic Fabric Fixer on stretchy fabric.  Paint it on, let dry, and set with a hair dryer.  It stays flexible, and I don't notice it with the needle when hand sewing.  Here's a link to the page it's on at Sassy's: http://www.king-cart.com/sassybf/produc … atch=exact  This stuff probably works best if you're making small to mini sized bears, otherwise you would use a ton of product and be brushing it on forever.  Any interfacing or even just lining with muslin would work dandy on a larger bear.  I generally just line with muslin myself, sticking it on with a few swipes from a glue stick and then sewing.....though I like the looks of Laura's Sticky+ from Sulky.  I'm going to have to get some of that!

Board footer