Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

IMG_0089.JPGIMG_0086.JPGGoing for a ride is her favourite thing to do, she will even drop her best treat out of her mouth to go for a ride bear_grin

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Wow!
Dakota is Beautiful! Love her markings and that great Smile  bear_flower
karen

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Gosh she is beautiful. Lovely to see her grow up. And as she proved on Monday, such a good girl.  bear_thumb  bear_wub  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Look at that great big smile! What a beautiful happy girl!

thank you :redface: she is a pretty girl and like my mom says, " she'll grow up to be a really good dog" that's what she says about kids too ( I was a handful ) For those of you that know more about breeds: How much does this breed shed in the Spring?! It's seems endless!

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Aaawwwwww,  I just had to log in to comment on your wonderful Dakota!!!

She is magnificent!!!  What a beauty!!!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

You must be so proud to have her!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower  bear_flower

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Dakota is a Bernese Mountain Dog right? They SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_wacko
And not just in the spring. It's worse then but they shed big time all the time. I work in a store that has a self service dog wash and Bernese always leave tons of hair behind.
Though Berners make up for it by being such sweet loving dogs!
Dakota is a beauty! bear_original
One of my dogs sheds quite a bit too. She is a Leonberger. I can sit and brush her hind end for over an hour and the hair still comes out. Here are a few pics of her.
IMG_2779.JPG
IMG_2784.JPG

Beth

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Hi Brenda, Dakota is so beautiful! She so reminds me of Ralphie, he's not a Berner but he sure looks like one. He's off to the vet in the morning, he's got an unusual looking growth on one of his paws, I'm hoping it's either nothing to worry about or that they can remove it with a local. I don't want him put under a general as he's getting pretty old (12) and it will knock him around. He's a big shedder too, all year round with a really big one in Spring, he's not very tollerant of the brush these days either. He gets really matted very easily and then he drags half the garden inside, all stuck in his fluff! Sometimes he looks such a mess!

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

You know you can save the hair and spin it into fiber bear_original it makes a great yarn, and can be spun very simply on a drop spindle. Plus dog hair in its fiber form can be up to 80% warmer than wool!  bear_happy

AWWWW, Leonbergers are beautiful dogs as well!! Hopefully nothing to worry about Linda with the paw and I thought of needlefelting with it bear_grin It's soo soft and thick. She looks so much thinner now too without all that fur. There is less and less of it all the time, I thought my old shepard mix shed alot, no comparison! Thanks for all the compliments on her, she does love to smile

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Dakota is a beautiful dog and so big!
I guess you have to be careful when doing big hugs!  bear_shocked

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Brenda!
I WANT YOUR DOG I WANT YOUR DOG I WANT YOUR DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fur and all!!! As I told you before I have always wanted a Bernese but now it's too late for me. With my medical problems there is no way I can handle a big dog.
What a sweetheart! Her face tells all that she is a happy, loving, good natured full of life and enjoying it dog!!! Oh I love her!!
I owned a grooming salon called the "The Clip Joint" for 20 years. I have groomed many Bernese and they do shed but if you keep up with the bathing/grooming/brushing they are really not a problem. Unless you have Asthma!:)
I do have to say that your Dakota takes the cake. She is beautiful and the ones I groomed and trained were nice too but pale in comparison to Dakota. She is a gorgeous representation of her breed.
Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I will live vicariously through you. bear_original

puca bears puca bears

Brenda - she is utterly gorgeous - with that BIG grin too bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
And as for shedding fur - I cna empathise - like Beth, i have a Leonberger...and they NEVER stop! By the time she has shed her undercoat and it's started growing again, it's time for the topcoat. Nounours is our second Leo, and like her predecessor, she HATES being brushed - anything more than a quick comb thru is a two-person job - and as she is so BIG, it's one quarter at a time...........
In the years before bears took over my life, I used to do a lot of spinning, and Leo undercoat does make the most wonderful, soft and fluffy yarn - so soft, that it doesn't ITCH. But these days, the combings end up in the bin - except in Spring, when I put mesh bags of it out for the birds, as nesting material - and they LOVE it! Wonder how many fledgelings think Nou is somehow related to them? bear_grin
huggies
Maria

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

She's just beautiful and looks like such a sweetheart. I love her smile, too.

you gals are fantastic! Today when I brush her again I'm going to put it all higher in the trees for the birds, if I don't put it high enough she likes to put it in her mouth, get it all wet and spit it out bear_grin

Cyndee~ what a huge compliment! I always thought she has what it takes to be a good show dog. My vet who is from Europe and where he did his schooling (he's been a vet for 30 yrs) had her on the table, backed up and was looking at her said she has good build, stance, she looks really good (she does have a torn ligament in her back leg but hasn't limped  in 2 months I'm hoping it healed on it's own :pray: ) It's too bad she's not registered and has no papers. i hope as she gets older she doesn't get too muscular because right now she is just right, she might be maybe 80 lbs, she's not one of the biggest Berners but the right size for the breed. She's never gone through that awkward stage and the messy hair look thing. Okay, I'm proud of my girl, there's still obedience we are working on and every day I have to make sure she knows who's boss bear_tongue

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Cyndee I know what you mean. I live vicariously through all of you with animals. But you got Herbie.... bear_wub

I always used to threaten on bath day that I was going to gather up all the hair and knit another dog, and when cleaning out the vacuum cleaner bag.... :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: now I miss those days so much.

Beth your dog has such a pretty face and looks like she is a sweety.

I NEED a fur baby  bear_cry

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Awww, hasn't she grown up fast  bear_wub  bear_wub  She's beautiful   bear_innocent

Murrieta, California

Oh Carolynn I wish you could have a dog! I could not imagine life without one!!!!!!
Herbie sends you kisses. And his kisses are like little deer kisses! If you want a nice big wet one you'll have to ask Dakota for that!  bear_grin
I know this sounds silly but I'm saving all of Herbies hair from when I groom him in hopes to have a Yorkie just like him made from it someday. :redface:
And Brenda I can't believe she is not registered/papered!! My!! did you luck out to get such a beautiful dog! I figured you bought her fully papered with the hopes to show and or breed her? I guess I just assumed that from seeing pictures of her. You know what they say when you assume!!! :redface:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Dakota is a beautiful dog and looks so happy going for a joy ride.
Dogs do love their trips out in the car.

Beth your dog is lovely too.

thanks for sharing.

hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

What beautiful fur babies!! Love the colors  bear_wub  bear_wub

IMG_0084.JPGIMG_0082.JPGIMG_0083.JPG

Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

Oh Carolynn I wish you could have a dog! I could not imagine life without one!!!!!!
Herbie sends you kisses. And his kisses are like little deer kisses! If you want a nice big wet one you'll have to ask Dakota for that!  bear_grin
I know this sounds silly but I'm saving all of Herbies hair from when I groom him in hopes to have a Yorkie just like him made from it someday. :redface:
And Brenda I can't believe she is not registered/papered!! My!! did you luck out to get such a beautiful dog! I figured you bought her fully papered with the hopes to show and or breed her? I guess I just assumed that from seeing pictures of her. You know what they say when you assume!!! :redface:

Cyndee ~ We bought her from the pet store not to far away and this is before we read up on all the puppy mills etc.... It's a small city so I'm hoping they are "ok" because I'm sure if their customers were very unhappy with the pups the rumours would fly but on the other hand the more people buy the animals the more demand from the breeders. I do know the name of the breeder and the mother had 2 litters, Dakota is from the second litter and there were 3 pups ( including Dakota ) she had a brother and another sister. Her brother was sold right away and I chose dakota because she was a teeny bit smaller than her sister and seemed less dominant. i felt so sorry for leaving her sister behind bear_cry There is another one here in town who is the same age as Dakota, maybe her sister?? Our friends have seen her but we haven't yet. The sad thing about it all is I don't know any history of her parents, how good their hips and elbows are, cancer, eye problems etc..... and the cost of vet care is so much more for a large breed. I can only hope for a healthy dog and that she lives to be at least 9 or 10 would be great. so far she has no fear of any loud noises like thunder, dirt bikes, etc... she's oblivious to noise but she can hear for sure, doesn't care about bikes, skate boards, rollerbladders..... it's just controlling her enthusiasm for other dogs that's a challenge bear_whistle

Here's another pic of her at the park, she likes to sit on the picnic tables, could be a bad thing when we go camping

Murrieta, California

Brenda thank you for the pictures of beautiful Dakota!
I owned a shop for many years and never bought from mills but had many private breeders ask me to sell their pups in my shop. Just because you bought from a shop doesn't mean she is from a mill.
NOW before everyone jumps on me, I am not condoning mills but I do understand your situation Brenda.
I think you might have a dog from a private breeder looking for help in a pet shop. I do understand you worry about her health.  However she looks so very healthy and such a fine specimen of her breed I think you may have lucked out. I will hope for the best. :)
I just love her!! You can see her  sweet personality in her pictures!! She loves life and her family. You are a good owner looking to do what is best for Dakota. Who could want more in a pet owner.
Enjoy your beautiful sweet dog. You did a good thing.
Hugs,
Cyndee

Thanks Cyndee bear_original I have heard of breeders selling the remaining pups to pet shops that they didn't sell otherwise. i'm one of those people that if my dog ever accidently had pups ( mine are always spayed though) I would have to know about them anyway throughout their lives even if they were mixed breeds of any kind I would have to know if their healthy, happy and well taken care of. I can tell by your avatar picture that you totally love your adorable little Yorkie bear_happy
I have to say too that there's 1 thing she is absolutely scared of and that's my Himstedt dolls! She's excellent with children but those dolls really freak her out ( my sister thinks they are really eery too  bear_grin )

Murrieta, California

Oh Brenda I can relate!!!
She must think they are real and maybe a bit strange!!
Herbie my Yorkie is afraid of plastic bags but that's because he was stolen from me and the man that grab him threw him in a big black trash bag!!!
To this day Herbie will leave the room in fear if he sees one.  bear_cry

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Brenda
Dakota is beautiful !!! But what are you going to do about those small little feet?

HA !!!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh
My friend has a Berner and has told me not only does he have a sweet dispostion, but also very loyal and protective.

Lee Ann

Board footer