Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

Hi everyone bear_original Can a dog get too much attention and demand it?? Is this an obedience issue that I have to work on? I know Bernese dogs are very needy but Dakota is ridiculous! I walk her or take her down to the park/river almost everyday or play tug etc... but it seems she's always in need of petting or any attention. I can't possibly spend all day doing this. If we don't give her the attention she's demanding she runs to the door and literally bangs it with her paw til of course someone lets her outside. She needs to learn to "settle" right? any tips??? and why do I feel so guilty when I ignore the behaviour? bear_sad

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

One of my friends and I were just discussing the "dog whisperer" and his techniques... if you google that, there are videos, etc that talk about some of his tips.  I know with my dog, she is much more settled when she knows she is not the dominant one, not the leader of the pack so to speak.  Hope you get things straightened out with her... we aren't seeing enough of your bears!!   bear_grin

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Brenda, Melisa
  is absolutely right, Dakota neds to know who is the pack leader. The 'Dog Whisperer' has a huge wealth of knowledge that will help. Take a look at his videos on YouTube and try and catch a few of his TV programs if you can. There are also 'Dog Whisperer' books that will help. Dakota just needs to know his place and what's more he will feel so much happier for it. My daughter uses Ceaser's way with her dogs and gets on just fine with their behavior now. Her new dog, Buster, thought he could be pack leader, although he is the smallest dog out of the three she has. My daughter soon showed him that she is the pack leader and now he is happy just to be part of the gang. Good luck!

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

It takes some doing, but the Dog Whisperer ideas do work. When we put our hands on our hips and stand in front of Ti, he will back off and lay down.....it is amazing what can happen when you show them YOU are the leader of the pack, not them!

Good Luck! let us know how things work.......

Ellen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I have the same issue with our Chihuahua - Sequoya.   I tell her "no" firmly and then "go lie down" and she does.  She knows when I have "that tone" I mean business.   Course it's a bit easier with a 4 pound dog  :crackup:

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

I have used Caesar Milans techniques too and they work both of my dogs know who the boss is MUM  bear_thumb  I would recommend his books and videos to anyone goodluck.

Raewyn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm guessing you are giving her what she wants... if she nudges you for affection you touch her, right? Even if it's to push her away. Or you even just look at her or speak to her. All of that is rewarding the pushy, dominant behavior, no matter your intention. Ignoring is one thing but giving her a command... something else to do... might work too. Tell her "lie down" or "on your bed" and then "stay". No other words. She needs direction. She's needs to be taught what the proper behavior is at that time. Just don't let her out or give her affection (of any kind) if it's a time you don't want to. Give her a command, firm, no touching her. She'll eventually learn that's the automatic behavior she's to present when she doesn't know what to do with herself or feels like being pushy.

I'm also guessing you haven't paid much attention to Cesar's work even though we've all suggested it over and over. These answers are right in his books, videos, etc. It takes time and studying and learning to train a dog. You've got the exercise thing down but you have not extablished yourself as the pack leader/boss/dominant figure AT ALL TIMES and until you do you are going to keep having issues with her. She's not going to obey or respect you. It's really that simple.  Cesar's #1 rule is to make yourself the pack leader and shows over and over in his videos and explains repeatedly in his books how to do this. You really ought to spend some time studying his methods! I promise it'll help if you do exactly as he teaches.

Daphne wrote:

I'm guessing you are giving her what she wants... if she nudges you for affection you touch her, right? Even if it's to push her away. Or you even just look at her or speak to her. All of that is rewarding the pushy, dominant behavior, no matter your intention. Ignoring is one thing but giving her a command... something else to do... might work too. Tell her "lie down" or "on your bed" and then "stay". No other words. She needs direction. She's needs to be taught what the proper behavior is at that time. Just don't let her out or give her affection (of any kind) if it's a time you don't want to. Give her a command, firm, no touching her. She'll eventually learn that's the automatic behavior she's to present when she doesn't know what to do with herself or feels like being pushy.

I'm also guessing you haven't paid much attention to Cesar's work even though we've all suggested it over and over. These answers are right in his books, videos, etc. It takes time and studying and learning to train a dog. You've got the exercise thing down but you have not extablished yourself as the pack leader/boss/dominant figure AT ALL TIMES and until you do you are going to keep having issues with her. She's not going to obey or respect you. It's really that simple.  Cesar's #1 rule is to make yourself the pack leader and shows over and over in his videos and explains repeatedly in his books how to do this. You really ought to spend some time studying his methods! I promise it'll help if you do exactly as he teaches.

I can't help but feel attacked by your comments everytime I post about a certain problem I have with Dakota. I have overcome many issues with her and I am  proud of her and myself for doing so. I'm not "new" to dog ownership however I am new to this breed and specific problems. I have watched Dog Whisperer many times and agree with most if not all of his methods but I do like to ask other dog owners if they have ever had these issues. Cesar is great but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I have never had an 80 lb. Bernese before so this is all new to me and each month seems to be another obstacle and I'm willing to take any constructive criticism.
I take things to heart so I thank those that tell me things on a more positive note bear_original

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

A big dog is a little different to correct, but it can be done. Don't quit trying, keep learning, as every dog is individual in personality, but they are still a pack animal needing a leader. Teaching Dakota a down/stay command may be the solution. Him and you will be more relaxed once he learns this. It takes about a week of consistent training to solidly teach a dog one new command. After the week of teaching, then you need to correct any variance to the learned command immediately. They are smart enough to know what you expect if your week of teaching was very consistent. Does he obey sit/stay? If so, this down/stay should be easy to teach.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Cesar is great but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I have never had an 80 lb. Bernese before so this is all new to me and each month seems to be another obstacle and I'm willing to take any constructive criticism.
I take things to heart so I thank those that tell me things on a more positive note

Well, we've all given you the same basic suggestion.. establishing leadership... and studying Cesar. No matter how it's said, the bottom line is the same. And in a sense the basic need of all dogs, regardless of size is the same. Leadership/discipline, exercise and affection... the needs of all dogs, in that order. Something Cesar teaches. Yes, much more challenging with a big dog because their negative behaviors seem, I don't know, "bigger" than a little one you can almost ignore or who at least isn't going to bowl you over. That's why establishing leadership and respect from a bigger dog is that much more important. It will help you so much with obedience, something most everyone else here seems to see as well thus we've recommended working on that. I'm sorry I didn't say it with a positiveness you would be more receptive too.

I wish someone had told me about Cesar when we first got Tucker.... Cesar didn't come into the picture until a few years later. Those who have been here since Tuck was a pup will recall how many times I was in tears because of his behavior and later his health and how many times I was almost ready to 'give him back'!! We had a horrible time training him, failed puppy school three times and I gave up. I'd called a doggy psychologist and everything! Now things are completely different, thanks to learning Cesar's approach as it makes a ton of sense. Things aren't perfect mind you but I just know you could learn a lot from really being consistent with and following his type of approach!

Good luck, Brenda! You'll get there!

I really do appreciate all of the pointers bear_original I'm her leader Id say 80% of the time but sometimes I feel so guilty if I'm too strict with her and I really don't know where that comes from but yet I know I need to be firm. It's always in the back of my mind that this breed doesn't usually have a long life span. maybe I'm holding on to the memories of my last dog too, I was quite firm with her and when she was dying I had alot of regret, maybe I should of gave her more treats or more attention, but I do know I "raised" a good dog. I have to put those feelings aside and concentrate on raising this one the way she should be. I'm too sensitive :rolleyes:

She does know her sits/downs/stays we just have to work on staying put longer bear_original

Board footer