Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I have had varied success creating claws, noses etc. with a variety of clays.  I have found that the tips of Fimo claws tend to break fairly easily.  Milliput is a little stronger and doesn't need heat fixing.  The strongest I have found so far is Aves Fixit.  This is very strong, but then needs painting as it comes in an opaque grey colour.  I would really like to find something which is very strong but also has more of the slightly transparent appearance of a natural claw. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Sue

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

I love  bake and bend polymerclay  strong and flexible. http://www.sculpey.com/Products/product … erflex.htm

hugs
Manuela

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Wow.  I haven't seen that before.  It sounds ideal.  I will see if I can get it in the UK.  Many thanks, Manuela  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

I use Apoxy Sculpt by Aves. It comes in colors and you can mix a little acrylic paint with it to tint it.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use All Game, it is a two part taxidermery epoxy compound.  Needs to be mixed well, but when it is it is almost unbreakable for everything but the tinest nails, then it is still strong buy no longer unbreakable.  Color dries to a bone color, well you know, you have a couple of my bears. so you have seen.  You can tint it with acrylic, but then if you sand it, it needs to be painted. I found it on ebay, I have not tried other epoxys only polymers.  I am much happier going this way.
Joanne

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Many Thanks Joanne, Robin and Manuela for your suggestions.  Lots to ponder!  The fun is in trying out different methods and materials.

Hugs

Sue

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Robin and Joanne,
I have always wondered how long do you have to work with the epoxy? Is it easy to shape into things like claws, teeth etc.? How long before it starts to set and can't be worked anymore?
Karen

Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Karen, with the All Game if mixed properly maybe about 1/2 hour or so,  I mix a small amount, make it into a thin snake, cut into small pieces and then point both ends and gently curve them over my finger, it is softer than polymer, but as time progress it get firmer, and firmer.  It really takes about 24 hours or so to get rock hard, and needs to be very throughly mixed to get hard, other wise it won't set properly.   I make a pile of claws in all different sizes, then I have them to pick through.   I figure if the stuff is good enough for taxidermists to use, it has to be pretty good.
Joanne

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

Apoxy sculpt claims 3 hours of workability. But in my experience it's only about 45 minutes. The one really cool thing is that you can carve and shape with a drimmel it once it's hardened, I like it much better than polymers. it works more like regular clay. You can use water to smooth it. If you work it in 15 minutes it really aheres to other surfaces.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Apoxie Scuplt!!! Love it!! So EZ to use!
When I made larger pieces 3" to 4" long and 1" thick - I was impatient for them to set up firmly enough to hold its shape and had to carefully prop them up for an hour or so until a neck or leg was firm enough to stand on its own and have its surface finished.

I'll have to look up All Game - Thx Joanne, always interested in alternate products.

Here are the two web sites:

http://www.allgamepoxy.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apox … culpt.html

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

OK,
I've been experimenting and so far I love the new Sculpey Bake and Bend Clay. They say it's like rubber but it's actually fairly rigid yet flexible and totally unbreakable even in very thin pieces. I had been looking towards very hard, unbreakable pieces but I think this clay works even better for my purposes (claws and teeth). Comes in many colors and they can be mixed.
Karen

Bloomsburg, PA

did you find it in the craft store, or order it on line?  I would like to try it for tiny claws
Joanne

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Joanne,
It was - polymerclaystore.com, but I'm sure there are many places where you can get this clay.
Karen

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I have emailed Sculpey to see if they can supply blocks of black bake & bend as I can only find packs of  1 oz mixed colours in the UK. 

Regards

Sue

Bloomsburg, PA

I have also only been able to find it in mixed packs.
Joanne

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I have heard back from Sculpey.  They only supply in mixed packs.  It makes it quite expensive if you don't want the other colours!

Bloomsburg, PA

Thanks Sue,  I will wait that one out. 
Joanne

Oly Olys Zoo
Simpsonville, SC

One of the artist's that was just asking "How" to make claws.  I think if you have never tried
it before, it is best to start out with the polymer clays.  Some are quite flexible.  I have used
three differrent brands.  There is also the cost.
The Apoxie epoxie clay is fine but like JoAnn said, you have to wait 24 hrs for the complete
cure of the expoxy.  It is sold in small quantities.  The thread here is "the strongest clay" so
I would have to vote for expoxy as well.  Now, if you want the absolute strongest claws, that
are completely unbreakable, you get a blank of polyurethane poured and carve them up.  I will
be posting my Polar with Apoxie claws and I will let you know how the polyurethane goes..... bear_wacko

Oly Olys Zoo
Simpsonville, SC

As far as the Polyform Sculpey Superflex Bake and Bend goes, some artist from a
site that make dragons, demons and the like had called Sculpey directly and they'
said they do not make the single packs because they could not sell enough of them
to make it worth the while.   bear_sad

Bloomsburg, PA
Oly wrote:

One of the artist's that was just asking "How" to make claws.  I think if you have never tried
it before, it is best to start out with the polymer clays.  Some are quite flexible.  I have used
The Apoxie epoxie clay is fine but like JoAnn said, you have to wait 24 hrs for the complete
cure of the expoxy.  It is sold in small quantities.  The thread here is "the strongest clay" so
I would have to vote for expoxy as well.  Now, if you want the absolute strongest claws, that
are completely unbreakable, you get a blank of polyurethane poured and carve them up.  I will
be posting my Polar with Apoxie claws and I will let you know how the polyurethane goes..... :wacko:

I would love to here more about pouring a blank of polyurethane, have you done this yet?  Love this idea, would love more details and pictures.
Joanne

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire
desertmountainbear wrote:
Oly wrote:

be posting my Polar with Apoxie claws and I will let you know how the polyurethane goes..... :wacko:

I would love to here more about pouring a blank of polyurethane, have you done this yet?  Love this idea, would love more details and pictures.
Joanne

What Joanne said bear_original

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but that's part of the beauty of this library, it's still here for us new guys!
Just wondering, has anyone ever tried Brown Stuff for  making claws? Green Stuff is more well known, it's an epoxy clay that model makers use for 25mm figures and so on, but you'd have to paint it, being green. But the Brown might be okay for bear claws as it is.

Caroline

Zoundz Posts: 16

Not for bears, but I do My Little Pony customisation too - and have often used Milliput - which is awesome stuff. I also use it to repair ornaments, or toys, especially if there are chips etc. It's good to sand when dry, and it's really quite solid, rocklike stuff. Again, an epoxy, and really pleased with the results it gives :)

xx

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I just tried polymorph ,...a type of plastc which when you put in hot water it melts....you can form it into claws...it's very strong....I really think it's ideal for teeth and claws.

LittleButtonMeadow Button Meadow Bears
Devon
Website

Jenny I have just had a look at the  polymorph, I have never seen it before. I was wondering how long you had to work with it before it sets and can you paint on it? I love trying new things!

Board footer