Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

IMG_0089.JPGIMG_0167.JPGIMG_0171.JPGIMG_0173.JPGAnyone have a dog with these ailments? I noticed in the Spring Dakota started kind of a high pitched wheezing sound when she was panting heavily, it doesn't happen too often but today I was talking  to someone and they asked if she had a cold. I didn't think it was that noticeable. I don't think it's kennel cough cause she doesn't cough. She's still eating well and is active. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to rule out anything serious (hopefully) Here's a few pics of her from the other day if your interested bear_happy

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

kayla-lying-on-bed-july-2007.jpgOMG,

My Basset/Beagle Kayla has a breathing issue that the Vets can not figure out what the cause is. The only thing they came up wit,h is that it could be asthma. She does not cough either. It just happens within a matter of minnutes. At first she is fine and then BAM!!!! she is having problems breathing. Her spells are servere, her heart just pounds like it is getting ready to come out of her chest and she acts as if she is going to pass out. These spells have now gone on for over 2 yrs and it started out in the middle of winter (January) in 2007 and 2008 and now happens in the fall (September) in 2008 and May of 2009. She will be turning 4 the 29th of this month. I know there is a triger but I don't know what it is. I watch whatever I do like what I clean with and so on.
Kayla's spells are bad. I have never heard of a dog that does what she does. My Black Lab mix Shadow has skin allergies, but it does not effect his breathing in any way.

I feel for you. I hope the Vets can figure out what is causing her wheezing. I know it is so hard that they can't just tell us what is wrong. I wish that is the only time they could talk to us.

I don't mean to be scary. I am sure your baby does not have what my Kayla has. I just tell myself she is a special little girl and we take care of it when it happens.

I sure your Vet will give her some atobiotics. That should clear it up.

Sheryl

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

She might be allergic to cats. bear_original
No really. When I had my grooming shop we had a client who's Lab was allergic to their cat. Their son took the cat to live with him and all was well for the Lab after that.
Hope the vet comes up with something simple.
bear_original

Geesh Sheryl that's terrible that your Kayla has it that bad and only 4! Do you think maybe she gets anxiety attacks like people do?? Dakota isn't too bad and recovers quite quickly but then again she's only 14 months old. She never showed any hint of it in the last fall and winter but..... I thought of the cats for a quick second but she also gets these spells outside. I'll see what the vet says tomorrow and keep you gals posted

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

My little late boston Smedly had very bad allergies to bermuda grass, which is what grows out here.  He was on Benedril for years.  It helped a lot.
Joanne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

We take Tucker to a doggy dermatologist in Boston (2 hrs away) to deal with his allergies. He's had all kinds of skin and blood tests to determine his allergies, has been on prednisone when it was real bad, benadryl, other doggy anti-histamines and he's on allergy shots AND a nasal inhaller. In all I've learned/read/been told wheezing is not a common allergy symptom. Environmental allergy symptoms are usually (not always) external in the form of itching, hair loss, hot spots, lesions, ear infections etc.

Tucker sounds wheezie when he breathes, especially when sleeping but it's not in his chest, it's in this throat/nose as a result of residual inflammation from nasal passage infections which he gets from environmental allergies. Can you tell if Dakota's wheezing is in her chest?

Tucker is allergic to cats, humans, horses and sheep in addition to grasses, trees, weeds, molds and FOOD! Poor dog! LOL!

None of that was helpful I'm sure but YES.... dogs get allergies and asthma... I think purebreds are worse. It will be intresting to hear what your vet says... I hope it's something easily treatable!

well I took her in today and her lungs sound fine and her throat is fine, ears are good, no temperature. He said if it starts happening quite a bit then get x- rays soooo she still eats good and has alot of energy ( actually she's starting to get quite mellow in house) we will see what happens....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yay! Glad she's got nothing serious wrong AND that she's mellowing in the house! FINALLY! bear_original

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

That's great news Brenda.

and I know one day I will find out what is wrong with my little Kayla. I think Kayla's problem is what Daphne had said, its in Kayla's  throat and or nose. Just need to find that trigger.

Keep us posted.

sheryl

thank you bear_original  I hope you find the trigger also! I do think Dakota has some kind of allergy because her eyes get bloodshot but I'm not sure to what

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

My lab has that squeak when he's panting hard.   It's almost like a whine while he's panting.  It's nothing.  He's done it his whole life, he's 7 and healthy as a horse as long as he's not injured himself.   I wouldn't bother with x-rays unless Dakota acts sickly.  She is just a beautiful dog.  I love that picture of her sleeping.  She looks like she's having a great dream. 

Hugs,
Alison

good to know Alison! Thank you also for the compliment bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

The main thing to remember with allergies is that with each exposure to the allergen, the body wil will respond harder. 

I've used Benedryl on the recommendation of my vet for my coati baby.  1mil  it certainly cleared up the problem  bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

My cat Dara had allergies and it was diet related so we changed food. It cleared up. So more food for thought!!

Board footer