Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
momanimallover Taber, Alberta

curious to know opinions on the h1n1 vaccine? Should we or shouldn't we?? Would love to know some opinions on this bear_original

jillanne UX'BEARies
Toronto

I'm in Toronto and will definitely be getting the H1N1 flu vaccine from my doctor. 

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Cheers
Jill

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

As someone struck down with very cruddy flu right now, I'd say get it, in fact I will be getting the jab when our doctors' have it as I'm in one of the at risk groups.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Well, considering swine flu was just confirmed at my daughter's junior high school and 30% (157) of the kids  were out  sick last week ( including her) I think it is too late for  my family.  We've definately been exposed !  That being said, it seems to be about the same as regular flu without the vomiting , but add a bad headache and persistant  dry cough.   I know it can affect everyone differently though.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well with the confirmed death of a preteen with no underlying medical conditions I think we will most likely get the shot. Most other deaths had underlying medical conditions that made the flu that much worse, now it seems to have started affecting healthy people. I never get the regular flu shot, but this one I likely will. Now that said it will not be available to us until Dec or Jan. So hopefully I don't come down it before we get inoculated.

hmm... they started vaccinating people here today in Alberta. There was line up at the building there doing it at. Are they blowing this all out of porportion or just being on the safe side? People die of the normal flu every year and they advised my dad not to get the regular flu shot because the side effects would be worse for him than actually getting it. Also, there is a 27 year old girl in our town that had it in the summer but she's getting the shot anyway? Is that necessary?

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I am not against the flu vaccine per-se but I am not in favor of taking medicine you don't need.

The H1N1 Swine Flu brings up some tricky questions.
If you catch it, it is a sure bet you will get pretty darned sick. 

At my last check, only 10% of the people who catch Swine Flu get sick enough to die.  Most of them are young people or old people and people whose bodies are already compromised with other problems.

So, if you are of average age and in good health, you probably won't die from the swine flu.  That's good news.
On the other hand, you WILL get sick as a dog.  And, who knows... anything can happen.

Therefore the question comes down to two things.

1)  How likely is it that you will be exposed to the Swine Flu.

2)  Are you willing to take the risk if you do catch it?

If you are never going to be exposed to it, the vaccine is an unnecessary medication.  Don't take it.
If you are willing to accept the consequences if you do catch it.  Don't take the vaccine.

If you are in an area where there are lots of cases of Swine Flu around you.  Take the vaccine.  It is important to stop the spread of this disease.  Inoculating the population is a good way to stop the spread of the disease.

If you are in a job where safety and security of other people will be jeopardized if you catch the flu, take the vaccine.

If you are a doctor, a nurse or work in a hospital or a clinic, et. al., take the vaccine.  If somebody unwittingly catches the flu from you, they could get very sick.  It is stupid to risk somebody else's life because you are afraid of the needle!
The same thing goes for ambulance crews, firemen, police, etc.  It's probably a good bet to add people in the military too.

If you are allergic to chicken products, eggs or related things, be cautious about taking the vaccine!  The vaccine is made from chicken eggs.  You might have a reaction to the vaccine that could be dangerous.   SOME people who are allergic to eggs CAN take the vaccine without risk.  If you are allergic, ask your doctor first.

The same thing goes for people who have ever had a bad reaction to any of the other ingredients of a vaccine.
Ask your doctor first.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with the vaccine itself.  I just don't like to take medicine that I don't need.
If I feel the need, I will certainly take it.  But, until then, I am okay with the consequences, should anything happen I don't expect.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

I have very strong opinions about the swine flu vaccination.  If you are NOT in a high risk group, HOLD OFF ON GETTING THE VACCINATION. There are many people, myself included, with severely compromised immune systems that need the shot (dead virus) vaccination as soon as it becomes available.  Most healthy adults that contract H1N1 will come through just fine.  Anyone taking immunosuppressants for any medical reason or is currently under going any medical treatment that compromises their immune system needs the vaccination.  Unfortunately, the US government continues to expand the list of those who should receive the vaccine.  They have now added people with diabetes, which may very well be 1/2 of the adult US population.  The vaccine is slow in arriving and there will not be enough for everyone.  Please allow those with serious medical conditions to have an opportunity to get immunized first!  And have some common sense and courtesy, if your sick, stay home!  Don't share even a cold.

Hugs!
Alison

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

You know, I grew up in the 70s and 80s and honestly?  Yeah, we got the flus and the colds and they all passed around school, and yeah we all got sicker n a dog, but it was a part of life.  When I was in my early 20s (so read the early 90s) it suddenly became a fad to get these flu shots.  OMG, never in my life have I been so sick!  It almost  killed me.  I've never had a flu shot since, and have no desire. 

I will most gladly let anyone else have 'my' flu shot!  Really it does come down to personal choice.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

This really is quite a worry isn't it, with so much conflicting information everywhere it is difficult to make a decision.  But something I found interesting
the other day was an article showing snippets of editorial relating to the Swine Flu.  I was quite amazed to see that quite a high number of
nursing staff here in the UK are NOT wanting to have the vaccine.  I was quite surprised by that ....  it certainly makes you think "Why?  What do they
know that we don't! ".

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

OH, I was so busy with my rant that I should have told you that my brother-in-law had a confirmed case of H1N1 2 weeks ago in Montana.  He is a healthy adult.  Yes, he got sick, is he fine, YES.  It was just like the regular flu.  In my opinion, no healthy adult should consider getting this vaccination until those who truly need it get it.

Hugs,
Alison

Us Bears Pennsylvania
eteddys wrote:

If you are NOT in a high risk group, HOLD OFF ON GETTING THE VACCINATION.  There are many people, myself included, with severely compromised immune systems that need the shot (dead virus) vaccination as soon as it becomes available.

Good point!  I didn't think about that.

Yeah!  I agree!  If you don't need the shot right now, hold off and save it for people who really do!
Good advice!  bear_thumb

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

US Bears, glad I made you think of it.  I lived through kidney failure and a transplant, I really don't want to be taken out by the stinkin' flu!  So, when it becomes available, I hope I can get the shot vaccination.  I just think of all of those people on chemo, radiation, etc.  They need the shot too.  They are fighting more serious things and can't risk getting H1N1. 

Hugs,
Alison

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Oh, yeah!  I forgot to mention...  One more very important piece of advice to prevent you from getting the swine flu!

swine.jpg

Don't kiss pigs!

bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_laugh  bear_whistle  :crackup:

okay, on youtube I just seen a video on a news channel that a doctor admits that he will not have this vaccine and will not give it to his children. The mercury content is very high and is more dangerous to you than the swine flu itself. On another one it says there hasn't been enough testing to know of the risks your taking, so....... I wonder....

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I got the regular flu shot this year but I won't be getting the h1n1, don't really think I need one!(knock on wood) bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

The problem there having with people getting the regular flu shot before the other one is it leaves them more vulnerable to the h1n1 strain since there body then becomes more "open" to the swine flu. That's what I've heard anyway. There's so much info good and bad it's hard to know what the right decision is

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I've heard that too.

There is some evidence to support that theory but nobody really knows for sure.  And, by the time they finish doing all the research, flu season will be over and we'll be on to the next thing that gets blown all out of proportion.

I still say to take the vaccines if you need them or if your line of work requires it.  Otherwise hold off.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

All it is is the flu for god's sake, and if you're in a risk group then sure, you should have the shot. But if you're healthy and you happen to get it, you'll have the flu. That's all. I had a bout of flu this winter, I don't usually get anything. Was it swine flu? I don't know and I don't care, I was sick in bed for a couple of days, felt pretty lousy. I kept to myself until I was over the worst, so I wouldn't spread it around, as you would with any flu. Over here they opened up special clinlcs to cope with the expected "epidemic" and all they got were silly idiots who went to the doctor for the slightest sniffle, thinking they had swine flu. It ended up looking pretty silly when the epidemic didn't eventuate. If you ask me it's been so much media hooha and that's what has caused the problem, they caused the public to panic and the consequences were an overloaded health system which doesn't cope at the best of times. We've been through our flu season over here and it was no worse than any regular winter flu season (barring the media hype, that is). A few immune compromised people died as they do every year with flu. Is it just because people think "eugh it comes from pigs" that there is so much panic? I think the media and the governments are making matters worse, as I said it's just the flu. And as Us Bears said if you work in areas where you are in contact with lots of people then you should get the shot to protect yuorself and them but that's probably sound advice for every flu season, not jut this one. That photo was so cute  bear_original  bear_original

puca bears puca bears

Very mixed thoughts on this one.........I read some reports, during the summer, that the vaccine has been linked to a serious neurological
disease.........but then the reports disappeared. Being a mega-cynic, I wonder why!?
Seems that the powers-that -be were working on a worst case scenario, like the dreadful Spanish flu earlier last century, and the swine flu doesn't seem to be as virulent as expected.........but who knows how bad it could get?
All I can say, right now, is that I am not going to rush off to get vaccinated..........
huggies (from a safe distance!)
Maria

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Just a bit of info that I have received:

As of August 30, 2009, the CDC says that testing for the swine flu will no longer be done.  Since it has been declared an epidemic, it will be assumed to be the swine flu.  A friend of mine wanted to have her daughter tested when she became sick, they would not test her for the swine flu.  They just did a test that came back positive for influenza, which the doctor said could be one of many things.

One doctor said that in all probability, if you have been sick with flu-like symptoms, you did not have swine flu and you most likely did not even have the flu.  You probably had a respirtory virus that has been circulating around. (I had it last week)

Another bit of info from my experience.  Like I said, I had this virus last week.  It has really been making its rounds.  It does have flu-like symptoms and for me was like a super bad cold/sinus infection.  I found that vitamin C and D were very helpful in fighting this.  A lot of liquid.  And the one thing that really helped was oil of oregano.  The brand I have is called Oreganol.  You just put a couple of drops under your tongue.  Within an hour after using it, I could feel it working.  It helps open the airways and clear the congestion.  The big drawback - it tastes absolutely nasty.  But I was over this thing in less than a week while others around me have been battling it for 2 weeks plus.  It is a tough one to shake.

Also. there was a CBS report done on the exaggeration of the swine flu numbers.  I don't have the link to this report, but you could do a search for it.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
millie wrote:

I found that vitamin C and D were very helpful in fighting this.  A lot of liquid.

+1 on that!  bear_thumb

When I feel sick, I always drink lots of orange juice.  The vitamin C is good for you.  It helps your body fight off the bug.  Lots of fluids are good for you too.

Besides, even if orange juice doesn't make me get better faster, it certainly helps me feel better about it.

Y'Know...  Kind of like chicken soup.  It might not help but it certainly can't hurt!   bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I do feel the need to clarify one thing after Alison's comment about making diabetics one of the high risk groups for the vac - I may have misread but she seemed to have implied this was a problem in her opinion, taking more shots away from others who need it more.

Diabetics are at high risk for a LOT of complications and are just as deserving of the vaccine if they desire as any other high risk group. They are at high risk for infection and secondary issues from any illness, even cuts on the skin because their bodies don't heal as quickly! They typically get sicker than the healthy person with even the simplest cold and take longer to recover, extending their chances of complications. Death from the flu is very possible and common.

Having said that, as a Type 1 diabetic for 27+ years, with additional auto-immune diseases, I will NOT get a flu vaccine of any sort and am also against taking any unnecessary drugs. Good old vitamins and plenty of rest have worked for me thus far. My fingers are crossed!! If it becomes an absolute necessity to get the shot I will reconsider. By then perhaps we'll know more about it's long term effects and it's effectiveness.

As a side note: A number of towns near me recently held free flu vaccine clinics... they all reported record low turn out and some future flu vac clinics were canceled as a result. That speaks volumes as do the doctors and nurses who won't get the vaccines!!!

jillanne UX'BEARies
Toronto

In Toronto we have just had a 12 year old 'healthy' boy die from H1N1 flu.  He had been at a weekend hockey tournament and come down with the flu. 

Here the on-air interview with his father and how he wishes the H1N1 flu vaccine had been available last week (it only became available in Canada this week). 

The experts say we have a 1 in 4 chance of catching H1N1 flu.  Do you want to take the chance of ending up on a respirator or tempting death?

http://www.newstalk1010.com/player/play … d=1011975&

Cheers
Jill

sonblestbears Son Blest Bears
Geetingsville, Indiana
Website

This has been very interesting to read for me, as I've been worried about this issue as well.  Having systematic lupus, my system is definately 'compromised' not only from the lupus itself but also from the meds I have to take.  I also have two children..I worry about them as well because 'they' say it affects the young and the compromised the worst.  That covers me and my kids.  However, I AM very leary of taking this new h1n1 vaccine or letting my children get it because there has been sooo much hype about is it bad or good? Uggg.  So what do you do...I still don't know  bear_sad  Lots of interesting advice here though...

Pages:

Board footer