Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Is it just me or does anyone else get stressed about Christmas? I've been doing really well this year, remaining much calmer than usual, but today....well, I'll just be glad when it's all over! It just seems a bit overwhelming at the moment, and although I thought I'd done most things and had got most jobs out of the way, I've suddenly come up with a whole list of bitty jobs that need doing! Aaargh! And my daughter finishes school tomorrow, so that leaves me a day to do the 'secret' stuff. Anyone else feel this way? How do you unwind? And why do we put ourselves under pressure for just one or two days of the year?

I think I'm going to run a big bubble bath tonight, pour a glass of wine and try to forget about it all..... bear_tongue

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

DRINK - LOTS OF IT bear_wacko

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hehe, we think alike Penny!!!!  bear_wacko

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I know what you mean, Helena. Just when you think you're doing good, all those little things surface and can really add up! Is there anyone who can watch your daughter while you do the "secret" stuff? My daughter isn't in school yet so I had to send her to Grandma's house so I could do my "secret" stuff. I was trying to do a little at a time after she went to bed, but by the time I got things out and managed to wrap two presents...I was ready for bed!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I know it's human nature to wait til the last minute to do things and I for one, do everything best under pressure... HOWEVER.... We did have a whole 364 days to get ready for Christmas so it's our won faults for not having our shopping finished, cards written, menu planned..........

Where is that drink????  bear_wacko

And I thought I was doing good until last night. Usually we go to my fiancee's house for Christmas Eve and my mom's for Christmas Day. Well, we can't make the trip to his folks this year. Last night he informed me that I have to make a dinner Christmas Eve. And there have to be 12 dishes, and he's choosing them. He's from Europe and wants his traditional Christmas Eve dinner. So...I have a few days to learn how to cook dishes I cannot even pronounce!

Deb Upstate New York

It's NOT just you.  But I do feel like this year I have a little bit better handle on things.  I'm a little more organized.  Did less shopping. 

That premixed Holiday Eggnog is WONDERFUL!  Get some of that.  And take little naps whenever possible.  This will be easy to do if you've taken the right amount of Holiday Eggnog!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I usually do, but this year I have done no baking, the cards I sent were to TT folks.  Everything I needed to buy I did on line.  If I really miss the goodies I will makr some later.  I ordered the rest from a German on line store.

Also no turkey-  hubby wants prime rib......no stuffing, and I doubled the mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving and froze half of them, so that's already done.  And I froze stringbeans from the summer garden

so easy easy easy...

I hope

bear_tongue

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww Helena, all this for just ONE DAY really - and I tell myself EVERY year, I'm not doing all that again next year, and every year I DO!!!  bear_laugh  bear_wacko

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't NEARLY finished yet, I've done NO secret shopping yet, as they've been off with a bug and broken up from school today anyway  bear_innocent    I bought some gifts this afternoon, with them in toe, and one of the gifts is broken and the other is the complete wrong size so will all have to be returned to the shop and start again...... bear_wacko    GREAT!!   I have to work every day, and I take them with me  bear_shocked  and have to drag them to the shops after work to try and get ready......PHEW!!!

There I've had my moan!!  bear_original   

EMBRACE IT!!!  :dance:

Pipa UK

Well any shopping i did i did onine.. my brother wanted an xbox 360 which is like getting blood from a stone right now so that isn't coming until lord knows when next year so that's out the window !
apart from that i'm calm about xmas bear_happy I got my xmas cards written out at the start of december and i do xmas shopping all year round. i see something someone might like i buy it and keep it for xmas !

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Well... I'll be drinking on Christmas but because I'm stressed from trying to sell this house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my shopping was done online... any packages needing to be shipped to family was done Monday (LOVE Carrier pick up and Click n Ship!!)

Hubby did the Christmas cards... he's SO bored since all his hobby stuff is packed so he was happy to do it :dance:

Didn't do any baking this year...... cause I'm trying to keep the house clean in case we need to show the house quickly..... One time I had all of 15 minutes notice!   :doh:

Christmas dinner is at our house... but it's only 6-7 people.  Getting another precooked turkey & stuffing from our grocery store (yum yum!)  And the house is already clean cause I clean every day for showings  bear_wacko   Seriously...it's SO fast & easy to clean cause we packed almost everything that we don't use every day.  I finish dusting the whole house in 5 minutes now  :dance:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Thankyou all, I feel SO much better now!!!

There's nowhere I can leave my daughter, Sandi, but hubby will be off work on Friday (hurrah!) so if I need to nip out for last minute things I'll do it then....good luck with your 12 dishes on Christmas Eve! Eek! What part of Europe demands a 12 dish dinner?! In the UK we normally make do with a pint of beer and a packet of crisps (please)  :lol:

Eggnog...Deb you are not the first one to mention Eggnog...and now it's on my mind I'm going to have to buy some. I remember drinking it with lemonade as a youngster (tiny amounts, and only at Christmas!).

Clare, I was a little bit lucky this year. Katie caught her usual stomach bug wayyyy before Christmas. But I notice it's still going around? I hope it's the same strain because we don't want it again! I hope you get everything sorted out in time for the big day!

Well, I'm with everyone else this year and trying to keep it simple. Fortunately I love cooking roast dinner but to cut down the stress I've bought frozen parsnips, frozen ready-dressed turkey breast and frozen roast potatoes too.... I know it'll be ok on the day but it's all the last minute things that keep popping into my mind that make me panic! Thanks for listening to my rant - you're a great bunch, and I wish we could all sit around a huge table together, eat a Christmas lunch and clink a few glasses! Wouldn't that be wonderful?!

PS I can't imagine selling a house at this time of year too! Well done Laura, I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Pipa UK

Helena i always prepare the xmas dinner on xmas eve. cut all the veggies on the night before xmas day then it's all ready chopped bear_original

My fiancee is from Poland and he wants a replica of the fabulous dinners his grandmother used to make. HA! I think I'll have to start the drinking at 8:00 a.m. so by the time dinner is finished, I won't give a crap if I've ruined it all!

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Hey Girls, why stress, I'd decided to do the final shopping trip on friday and I've just found out its going to be 36 degrees c (thats nearly 100f)...me thinks I'll melt :doh:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Good luck with cooking the Polish menu, Sandi and I hope that your fiancee will help you.

I have all my Christmas cards written and posted and have done most of my shopping.
Turkey is in the freezer and I always find it is not too much trouble to prepare all the vegetables
and roast them and make a pavalova with fresh strawberries and cream - very simple.

Wishing you all the best for your Christmas preparations and don't be stressed!
Helena and Penny - pour a glass of wine.... is a great idea if you feel the stress coming on!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

You know, as a rule I can become very stressed about Christmas. But this year for some reason I am not. Maybe it is because for the first time in 27 years Christmas is not at my house! My oldest son Russ and his wife Erin are having us for Christmas. Of course I will be bringing desert and salads but I am so looking forward to Christmas somewhere besides my house! Am I being selfish? I hope not. I just can not wait for this Christmas!

Many hugs Louise

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website
Sandi.S. wrote:

My fiancee is from Poland and he wants a replica of the fabulous dinners his grandmother used to make. HA! I think I'll have to start the drinking at 8:00 a.m. so by the time dinner is finished, I won't give a crap if I've ruined it all!

d050.gif

I'm done with all my shopping except for my husband.  And he's already gotten me nice TT bears.  Now we just have to wrap all the gifts.  We cut down on some of the gifts this year.  No cooking at this house.  We're going to other family's houses for all our meals. 

I'm a little sad about Christmas though because this will be the first one without my grandfather.  My father died when I was younger and my grandfather did all the dad stuff with me.  He passed away in March.  He was such an important part of the family.   bear_cry

I hope everyone has a beary merry Christmas! 

f040.gif    d050.gif   a035.gif

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

YES!!!!   bear_shocked   bear_shocked    bear_wacko   bear_wacko  bear_ermm   bear_ermm

Chrissie, I'm so sorry about your grandfather. I hope you have a wonderful holiday as I'm sure your grandfather is wishing you the same.  :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh no, don't get me started about Christmas!  We just found out we will be relocating after Xmas.  Hubby starts a new job in the Toronto area Jan 23rd, and I will stay and sell the house.  I REALLY wanted a simple xmas, with everything else going on, and we go to our daughters near Toronto anyway (that's why we are relocating).  HOWEVER, hubby and daughter are HUGE kids and want EVERYTHING.   He was insisting I decorate the house even though we weren't going to be there, tree and all.  I could not see the point of putting up the tree.  ROUND ONE!

On top of it all, my birthday was Dec. 12th - no problem.  I  had told my hubby, "pleeease, no pointsettia this year" (he looooves plants, I don't)  Last Xmas, his company sent us a HUGE trunk full of plants, and I have been trying to kill it ever since!    I already had my Birthday gifts and was happy, when hubby showed  up on my birthday with the biggest freaking pointsettia I have ever seen, and says "happy birthday hon!"   Well, my face must have said it all and we ended up in a big fight.  I was livid that he tried to pass off something he wants as MY present.   After a whole day of arguing,  we now have a new rule in our house "NO FLOWERS FOR ME - EVER!"   I said he could buy ONE rose on a very special cuz they are usually dead in two days.  I looove plants in my garden, but not in my house.  I must sound like a grinch, but I just think flowers and plants are a big waste of money - anyone else feel the way i do about flowers?  ROUND TWO

Anyway, the next day as I arrived home for shopping, a big truck pulled in behind us with Valley Flowers on it.  Hubby's company sent ANOTHER huge basket with about a dozen plants - I could have cried, and hubby is laughing his head off!  The only good thing about all the flowers is that I don't have to put up our Christmas tree, cuz there is absolutely  NO ROOM for it, so maybe I got the last laugh after all!  ROUND THREE - I won! :dance:

Other than that, gifts are wrapped, baking will be done today and tomorrow, so I should have one day to breathe normally, before we leave for our daughters house.  Then after New Years I will be working like crazy, to clean out the house etc.  Anywayyyyy, I wish everyone a wonderfully Merry Xmas and New Year.  Take care.

Hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oh my, Brenda . . . wow . . . I do hope you get rested at some point.  Hope you have a good time at your daughter's house!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

thumperantiques wrote:

Oh no, don't get me started about Christmas!  We just found out we will be relocating after Xmas.  Hubby starts a new job in the Toronto area Jan 23rd, and I will stay and sell the house.  Hugs,      Brenda

Oh Brenda a BIG hug for you!   :hug:   I feel your pain   bear_cry  I'm sending LOTS of good house selling thoughts your way........ bear_grin

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

It is so sad to loose family...my heart goes out to you Brenda.
My neighbor, a 72 very alive, energetic person just lost her hubby day before yesterday.  She does not know what to do...she took care of him for a long time...she takes care of everyone, now she is so drained. and alone ..but I go over and others too and  her family..she will get thru this. There's so many people who have nothing...reach out and hug someone..anyone..spread the love around.

On a brighter note....we did not put up a tree..and we had no money for Christmas or even to get thru this month.
I fretted, I have been so sick all this year, what can I do ?
I don't mind going without gifts but I fretted I could not give to my kids, grandkids...so I just thought and thought about it, laying awake at
night...my COPD was getting so bad I thought that I might even die soon or this next year? Crimminy...I have been on antibiotics and steroids 5 times this year ! and....I have been sick again this month now for 3 weeks... I still have not seen my twin grand babies, up north 150 miles away because Im sick or they are sick...have to stay away from anyone ill as it could put me in the hosp.

Then in a few days on the net I saw " The Legend of the Christmas Spider " ..a Ukraine or German story..... then I searched all over the net to find a beaded spider ...and the idea came to me...I know ! I will use that  crystal necklace my baby son broke when he was 2 and make a little keepsake spider for each of my kids and grandkids, make a pretty fabric covered box to keep him in and put a copy of the legend in there.
So...I have  made 45 of these little critters and worked out my own pattern.

In the mean time ,some little blue bird must have whispered our situation to someone....and we got an anonymous gift in the form of a check... for I shall say in  an amount that made my jaw drop. Another very blessed thing...I was very sick and thought I would certainly be in the hospital by Christmas...suddenly , defying all logic , without medication I took a turn for the better...all on my own ? I don't think so...I have no immune system to speak of as I have Fibromyalgia and all the meds this year...Id at best be below zero for immunity. So how can you explain my getting better...almost normal ? An answer to mine and others prayers for me....no doubt.

So...Tree..none is necessary....there is just us 2 here.  Presents... we got each other one.
Christmas dinner, maybe with my niece .... a  gathering  maybe with the remnant family....if I am well, if they are well.

But...we are happy that we got thru this month financially with the help we got and we are so happy my health is better.
I am also happy we can be there for our neighbor . I had a fun time making the spiders...cute little buggers they are...

I listened to 3 Christmas specials on TV last night...the choirs voices were so angelic...I quietly just let it carry me away..

Peace on earth, good will to men..Glory to God in the highest...... I felt my heart soar into the heavens with that and said Amen...HUgs, Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oh goodness, Winney . . . your spiders sound like the very perfect gift for your family.  If I were getting one myself, it would be the most precious Christmas present of all.  For whatever the reason, I am so pleased and relieved that your health is improving and I hope 2006 will be free of illness for you.  Hooray for your anonymous donor - that is wonderful, and I hope it helps you get back on your financial feet.  Your post is full of the Spirit of Christmas and thank you for sharing.  Big hugs to you!   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Board footer