Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

JRB CREATIONS JRB CREATIONS
New Carlisle, IN

014.JPG013.JPG012.JPG011.JPG010.JPG009.JPGHi everbody!!
I was recently looking through the library section at the top and I found a couple of discussions about workspaces.  I have to admit that I was mesmerized by the photos!  I love seeing where everyone does their creating!!  So, I thought I would revive this topic and let you all see my mess, LOL, in hopes that you will post some pics of your own.   :dance:   I know that I'm not the only one who loves to see these!!

Please excuse the mess, this is about as clean as it gets.  :redface:   I have taken over the entire living room!  I'm hoping my husband gets tired of looking at it and builds me my own room, ha ha ha! 
The computer desk and matching bookshelf were my Christmas gifts from my husband this year!  I just love that guy!! bear_wub   bear_wub   I hang all of my large pieces of fur in the closet around the corner and the smaller pieces go in my fur cabinet (another huge mess as you can see).  That is my cat Frank sitting on the table, he thinks he owns the place! 

Well, I hope you enjoyed your little tour!  This is where I spend most of my time!  bear_grin

:hug:
*Jeannette

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

Jeannette thank you for sharing photos of your work space!  I love looking at pictures of the areas that everyone works in too.  You are entirely too neat and organized. bear_tongue  Shame on you for making me feel badly.   I've needed to purchase some bookshelves for my space for quite some time and this makes me want to go out and get it done.

I love the picture of Frank!  The "company" in Carlyle Bear Co. is whatever chihuahua or cat happens to be "helping" me at the moment. bear_rolleyes

I really enjoyed the peek into your world.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you for the tour!  :hug:   I'm afraid my work space can't be seen until after our addition and renovations are finished....  it's entirely too chaotic!   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's a fantastic well-organized space, and Frank is VERY handsome!

Is the ribbon rack a custom-made item, or is that something a person can just go out and buy?

Becky

New Carlisle, IN

Thanks ladies!! 

Lisa, I have a chihuahua too!  Her name is Abby.  I tried to get a picture of her, but she wouldn't stand still long enough.  All the ladies at the vets office had a good laugh the last time we were there because Frank weighs twice as much as she does, LOL!

Melisa, best of luck to you on your renovations!  I hope the chaos doesn't last too long. 

Becky,  I actually got the ribbon rack on E-bay.  If you just search "ribbon rack" or "ribbon holder" you will get lots of choices.  I think I paid about 25.00 for mine and I could actually use a couple more, LOL!!

Have a great day!!
*Jeannette

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

It makes me so sad seeing all your wonderful working-studios - I've no own room for me and my bears - I've our dining-room where I have to leave when we have guests or just on Weekend when we have lunch and dinner ........ I'm dreaming of a wonderful bear-studio to have some day when one of my children is grown enough to get his own way ..... I'm looking forward to this own room - but I'm also not looking forward, because this means to me that one of my beloved children will be gone ...........

I'd love to see more wonderful working rooms!!!!! thank you so much for sharing it here

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Oh forgot something - I know, that Tamy Lahey has an adorable - wonderful - exciting - marvelous ....... working studio ....... please please please Tamy let us see more ..........

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

house-pictures-030.JPGhouse-pictures-003.JPGhouse-pictures-005.JPGhouse-pictures-004.JPGHi Jeannette,  I love your space, so much room.  I also see a very nice stash of mohair.  I just put these on my blog, so the timing is perfect.  My space in the middle of my house, the addition on the back of the house took away the window, so I am in the "bear cave" so to speak.  I also take up other areas and closets all over the house.  The last picture is my favorite place to work, in my chair in the family room with a light and a magnifier for those extra closeups.

ps, Jeannette, if you look really close at the bears on the shelf with the clock on the wall, the sweet little girl, second from left may look familiar.
Joanne

Moo Posts: 26

Jeanette, I too was only looking at the library with people's work spaces just the other day also, weighed down with the green eyed monster on my shoulder  :crackup:

You two ladies are by far way too organised!  And lucky!  Which one of you wants to adopt me  bear_flower  I am house trained and promise not to use all your furs  bear_whistle

I'm sat in the corner of my bedroom at the top of an old two bed town house.  I'm in the attic area so to speak - I don't even have a bedroom door!!  Which I always hated but now miss the luxury of privacy and peace.
No photos from me as my room is far too messy!  So I'll just describe it. I have about hmm, a 6ftx12ft work space which holds my computer desk, pc on the floor, a cabinet with my printer and scanner/laminator (handy for templates!) and an ironing board which has been up for two weeks and has seen no real ironing  bear_whistle It's being used as a work top.  As for storage I have one of those stacking towers with three smallish plastic drawers which I just reclaimed from all my wool and knitting.  As well as a plastic box with my fauxfur and mohair in (all of 5 pieces!) and another plastic box which holds my current project - and gets covered so daughter can't see.
On the plus side, my 6x12ft work space is right next to my bed - the room is the length of the house, and no idea what that is.  But I have to keep all my "mess" at this side  :rolleyes:
Hoping to eventually move to somewhere with more space or rooms, or wait impatiently for my daughter to leave and go to university/her own place .. she's only 8  bear_whistle

Btw, I meant to say, I love the little furry helper!  At least that sort won't place orders "Mummy can we do this one now?!" "Mummy can I use some of this fur... " "Mummmmmy... "  I'm tempted to use scraps as ear plugs!  :crackup:

Sarah Sarian Miniature Bears
South Wales

WorkshopTTalk.jpg

This is my workshop and I just love it!  I bought it when we returned to the UK from Cyprus end of 2008 and moved in to a much smaller place, so I needed somewhere to keep everything and not have to keep on tidying things away when I wasn't working on the bears.  In Cyprus I used the end of a large dining room table and had a large cupboard and boxes in the corner of the room for my supplies and tools.  It didn't matter if I needed to spread out as the room was so large.

Back in the UK my bear paraphernalia took up most of the small dining room that we had at the time so the idea of a computer workstation came to me in a 'light bulb' moment.  bear_rolleyes  bear_thumb  I realised that I needed something that would keep everything together but would allow me to just shut the doors and hide away my work in progress, as tidying everything away after every sewing session was driving me nuts!  bear_noexpression  So, the corner computer workstation is now my "workshop in a cupboard" and it suits me just fine  bear_original .  My work desk is where the keyboard should be and when I've finished for the evening, I just push the draw in and shut the doors - voila!  Everything nicely hidden away.

The workstation is much larger than it looks and it goes right back and nearly reaches the ceiling.  The bottom cupboard, where the doors are shut have boxes of supplies neatly stacked away, laminator, lightbox, etc, etc and my sewing machine, which I rarely use these days as I can't machine sew my minis.

We have moved 3 times since I started making my bears so I'm thankful that the miniature bear supplies don't take up as much room as the larger bear supplies do, though I do envy your workspaces and to have a dedicated room must be heavenly.

I'll have to get some more recent pictures as this one is at our place in Scotland last year.

Bloomsburg, PA

Sarah, I love this space of yours.  You have so much fit into such a great cabinet.  Do smaller bears take up less space?  Hmmm.
Joanne

South Wales
desertmountainbear wrote:

Do smaller bears take up less space?  Hmmm.
Joanne

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin   I know what you mean.  I was surprised when I managed to get everything into this cupbaord as I didn't think I would.  I'm now very organised and have everything in boxes and a large toolbox.  It's my little bit of heaven  bear_wub

New Carlisle, IN

Ladies, I love your workspaces!!  Joanne, I do see a familiar little face peeking at me!  bear_smile   You are so organized!  Your chair looks cozy!  I piled some blankets in my computer chair because I was feeling kind of numb after sitting in it all day.   bear_rolleyes

Sarah, I love your cabinet!  I don't think I could fit half my stuff in there though.   :redface:   My husband just told me the other day that if I get anything else he will have to build me my own house, LOL!   bear_whistle

Moo, I love the scraps for earplugs idea, I may have to use that!!   :crackup:   I have an 8 year old daughter too.  She is constantly looking over my shoulder giving me "pointers".   Whenever I finish a bear she asks "Mom, do you like that one or do I get to keep it??"  I gave her most of my earlier bears.

*Jeannette

(P.S. Sarah, I tried to PM you a couple of times earlier today, but it keeps telling me you don't exist!?  bear_shocked )

South Wales
JRB CREATIONS wrote:

Sarah, I love your cabinet!  I don't think I could fit half my stuff in there though.   :redface:   My husband just told me the other day that if I get anything else he will have to build me my own house, LOL!   bear_whistle

(P.S. Sarah, I tried to PM you a couple of times earlier today, but it keeps telling me you don't exist!?  bear_shocked )

Hi Jeanette,

(I've sent you a PM)

I have to admit that the cabinet is also good for forcing me not to shop too much for supplies, when I don't really need them  :redface: .  Though need and want can become very confused  bear_rolleyes   bear_whistle.  I do need to leave space so I can actually do some work and it does force me to be more organised with everything too, which can only be a good thing I suppose.

When your husband builds you your own bear making house, can we all come and visit...? bear_flower  bear_tongue  You could start your own bear making holiday company.....  :dance:

Hugs,

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I just love looking at where you all create and it gives me wonderful ideas!  I will be moving in to a new place in a few months and I can't wait to get started on my space.   Joanne I really like your idea of hanging your mohair on a clothes rack with wheels.  Next time I'm at Ross or Marshall's I'll buy one of those to hang mine on.  bear_happy

Jeannette, I can't believe you couldn't get your chihuahua to pose for a photo since they usually think everything revolves around them!  (and it usually does) bear_rolleyes   I'm sure she was just weary of being the center of the universe.  I adore them!

New Carlisle, IN

001.JPGI do way too much shopping!!  I'll never be able to use all of the stuff I have!  :redface:   I think I need a support group!!  :crackup:    I'll get my husband to build a huge house and you can all come stay with me and share all my goodies, that would be fun!  :dance:   

Lisa,  I think she just got too excited when I was talking to her.  She starting wiggling all over the place and prancing around.  She stands on her hind legs and dances when she wants to be picked up, it's the funniest thing I have ever seen.  I will get my daughter to hold her tonight and then post her pic here. 
My dad always had chihuahuas when I was growing up.  Whenever the animal shelter would get one they would call him.  When he passed away two years ago he had 7 of them! 

*Jeannette

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

OK Joanne...now I feel terrible.  How on earth do you stay so neat and organized???? I have a room, about 12 x 14, that is home to my laundry, cleaning supplies, sewing, doll making, and bears...and what ever else I get into.  I have shelves all over the walls and stacks all over the floor.  I am starting to get real claustrophobic in there!  Wish you could come organize me...

Bloomsburg, PA
lovenshire wrote:

OK Joanne...now I feel terrible.  How on earth do you stay so neat and organized???? I have a room, about 12 x 14, that is home to my laundry, cleaning supplies, sewing, doll making, and bears...and what ever else I get into.  I have shelves all over the walls and stacks all over the floor.  I am starting to get real claustrophobic in there!  Wish you could come organize me...

Probably one of the reasons it takes me so long between bears is because I am cleaning too much!  It is a flaw,  I can not stand clutter, or mess.  I don't know how I ever became a crafts person, because mess goes with creating.   I could probably make a good living as an organizer, how sad, LOL
Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi ladies,

It's been so interesting (and inspiring, and now a little expensive) to see your workspaces! I also went back and looked at photos from previous posts, and this morning I was off to the craft store for a few storing and organizing goodies.

Like many of you, I live in a small house, so my sewing and craft supplies are tucked here and there. My pictures are of my old Singer cabinet machine (in the guest bedroom), my Singer featherweight (on a table in the living room), and a very useful cabinet that my sister found for me (also in the living room). It holds some of my fur, plus eyes, growlers, etc, and has the perfect drawer for all my jointing hardware and tools.

Becky
DSCF2415tt.JPGDSCF2417tt.JPGDSCF2418tt.JPGDSCF2419tt.JPG

Bloomsburg, PA

You have some great stuff Becky, and some great places to stash stuff.
Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Joanne wrote:

You have some great stuff Becky, and some great places to stash stuff.

I do love my old sewing machines, and the "bear-makers cabinet," as I call it, keeps things right at hand, but also organized and out-of-the-way.

Becky

That cabinet is soooo beautiful!  Such lovely colours and patterns, and all that lovely storage area inside!  Is that a small sliding drawer underneath the cotton?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
moo wrote:

Is that a small sliding drawer underneath the cotton?

The only drawer is the fairly large one on the middle right. It would be great to have more!

Becky

ooh shame, just that little archway where your hand would go to pull it open under the cotton looks like it would be another like, very shallow drawer .. nevermind, it's still a lovely piece of furniture!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Moo wrote:

that little archway where your hand would go to pull it open

You made such a good point, that I went just now to check, and a small flat work area DOES pull out of there!!!  :crackup:

I may have never noticed this, or perhaps I saw it when I first brought the cabinet home and then forgot about it... Thank you!

Becky

Board footer