Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I have just been given 3 old sports coats that belonged to a friend's (now deceased) husband.  She wants me to make bears out of them.  As I usually only work with mohair and sew entirely by hand does anyone have any tips for me?  The fabric is quite thick and they should look good but i need help before I start.  Thank you all in anticipation.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

what sort of fabric are they?? Ive used denim before..its not much different to using mohair except there's no fur. its not as forgiving to any mistakes as you can see the seams. if it really worries you, you could always use them to make bear jackets and hats. Good luck!
Kerrilyn

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have done this type of bear, and it really isn't too tough.  You just need to keep in mind, as Kerrilyn said, that the seams are more visible since you don't have mohair to cover them.  I sew a lot of my bears by hand, but for the fabric ones I did use the machine.  I'm sure you can make these bears with no problems.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Also, because there is no fur, the bear will be skinnier when using a pattern you use for mohair bears. You might consider making a practice bear out of fabric like denim or heavy cotton twill to see what the body and seams will look like then make pattern changes as needed.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I've never tried this kind of fabric, but the stitching might be less visible if the seams are pressed or tacked open.

Board footer