Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

ArtBySK Posts: 1

Hi!! I am very NEW LOL I think I made a stuffed animal in jr High School .. But I make a lot of memory Blankets .. I am recently working on a memory blanket for my 9 year old cousin  out of my aunts clothing.. My Aunt just passed away a few months ago. And I took some of her clothes to make a blanket for my little cousin to have .  I thought it would be nice to make a matching teddy bear out of the left over clothes .. I went and got a Teady bear pattern from the craft store by my house..WELL LOL I DIDNT KNOW YOU NEED JOINTS... no craft stores around my house have them . And really didnt know what they are .... I even went to the home depot to see if I could make something like it.. I got a large washer and Im guessinbg its too small cause the head just flops over.. I found some joints I can buy online but I dont know what size to get I am making an 18" tall teady  Please any advice would be great I really want to make this teddy bear special and something she can hold and sleep with that will comfort her a little..

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I would think on the pattern it would list the sizes of joints used.  See if it is somewhere on the materials needed page.  You can use large fender washers from the hardware store.  I know my local store sells them up to 2" diameter.  That should be more than big enough.  If there is no list of materials, then measure the area where the joints go, top of arm, top of legs, neck opening.  Leaving room for the seam allowance with a little more.  Measure the space, that will tell you what size joints you need.  You need 2 disks, 2 locknuts and 2 bolts for each joint.  If you are using wood disks you also need 2 washers for each.  You can also use plastic joints.  Look in the library on the top left of your post and scroll down to joints.  You should find all the info you need there.
Joanne

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

Hi there

not sure of the age of your cousin but what about using large buttons for the joints. you could make the bear floppy so no need for arms, legs to move. all you would do is attach the buttons on the outside of the limbs

just an idea
hugs Susan

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

I've heard of cutting discs out of old margarine tubs and they work quite well.  bear_original

Board footer