Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys.
I'm making a fox right now. I really like the way he looks but I think I need to add some whiskers. Do you have any ideas?? I don't even know where to begin.
I read an earlier post about using horse hair, but I don't have any and don't want to hunt some down.
Any ideas you have would be super!

Thanks

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

fine fishing line would work Heather... it comes in diffrent weights and colours.. good luck with your fox ... be intrested to see him when your finished

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Heather,
I could mail you a few horse hair.  What color do you need?  I have black, sorrel and white.
Donna

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Hi Heather,

I don't know how to install whiskers so I'm not much help there, (sorry!  bear_sad  ) but I did see some whiskers on
CR Crafts' site the other day  bear_original         the url is www.crscrafts.com

they are only 85 cents and it says they are a 'natural fibers' but doesn't say what sort of fiber. Hope that helps.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say about attaching them!

hugs,

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

There is a thread on "Horse Hair Whiskers" that tells you how the pros do it.  Just do a search.
Donna

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I looked up the thread for horse hair whiskers, that helped me because I am going to start a cat. I have been researching  this for a customer that has ordered a cat. Yikes. I am going to try a miniature. I am still having a bit of trouble with the head shape. I have some good ideas  though. Thanks to you all here.
kathy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I like the look and feel of natural horse tail hairs for whiskers.  I am sure there are a few ways to install them.  I use glue and put two to three in each "plug".  I have also threaded a needle and inserted them right through the cheeks.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi,
     I make miniatures animals with whiskers quite often and have the best success using nylon thread.  I have done it two ways.  One, I cut a piece of nylon and put a knot at the end and gently pull it through the fur, so it's locked in.  Second, I discovered it's faster to cut a longer piece of thread, put two knots quite close together near the middle and gently pull both knots through the nose to lock in place, leaving thread at both ends - then just trim to desired length.  It's better to get all the whiskers in first, and trim them all together for a more uniform look.  I'm posting a picture of a raccoon I made, so you can see how it looks.  Hope this helps!

Hugs,

Brenda

Teddytalkraccoon2.jpgHi,
     I make miniatures animals with whiskers quite often and have the best success using nylon thread.  I have done it two ways.  One, I cut a piece of nylon and put a knot at the end and gently pull it through the fur, so it's locked in.  Second, I discovered it's faster to cut a longer piece of thread, put two knots quite close together near the middle and gently pull both knots through the nose to lock in place, leaving thread at both ends - then just trim to desired length.  It's better to get all the whiskers in first, and trim them all together for a more uniform look.  I'm posting a picture of a raccoon I made, so you can see how it looks.  Hope this helps!

Hugs,

Brenda

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

That's quite cute, thanks for the ideas. How big is that little thief there?? He's just adorable.  Do you have any tips for this cat I am going to try. I am still having a bit of trouble with the head shape.
Kathy

Hi Kathy,
     Thanks for the compliments on Rascal - he is 3 inches tall when standing.  I've made a few miniature cats, but unfortunately don't have any pictures on the computer to show you.  My scanner is toast.  Do you have any stuffed toy cats?  If you don't, hit a toy store and bring a pencil - when you find one you like, check out where the seams are and how they have put it together.  You might even be able to google a picture of a real cat, to check out the shape of the head.  The nose is shorter and the head is wider than a teddy, and of course the ears are pointed.   So make the gusset nose part shorter and thinner and then really widen it as it goes up to the eyes and towards the back.  The sides with be lower.  Play around with just a head pattern with cheap fabric or even cotton, until you have the shape you are satisfied with.  Hope this helps a bit.  I wish I could draw a picture for you on here.

Hugs,

Brenda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

What a cute little critter Brenda. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys, you are very helpfull. I think I"m going to try the horse hair. See how that works out. My fox is pretty cute. Not my pattern, but I swear that this is the last 'other' artists pattern I use for some time.
I just learn soo much from them. The pattern doesn't call for whiskers, but a fox needs them right??
Ahh, maybe I'll stop being so lazy and take some pics eh??  bear_whistle

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh and Brenda, I just LOVE your raccoon.

I really like doing other animals. Maybe that' will turn out to be more of my thing.

If I could only make a lamb as cute as Judi does............................Darn it!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

Hi Heather,
     Yep, I like doing other animals, too.   The give your table a bit of a different look at shows and I find there are always customers who collect certain kinds.  Good luck!

Hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Great work Brenda....how cute your critters are and the whiskers really do make a differance.  Thank you.

dilu

Hi Dilu,

Thanks for the kind words - it always means a lot coming from another artist!  Hugs,   Brenda

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I just use thread and little locking stitches.
I start on one side then thread through to the other side then I take a small locking stitch. I repeat the locking stitch on the first side then shove the needle back through to complete one set of whiskers. I repeat this 2 more times and I end up with a set of 6 whiskers, 3 on each side.
You can see it in the image below
pjbunnies.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Awwww . . . too cute, Jared!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Foxy-4-TT.jpgHello
sorry to bring this old thread up, but I wanted to show the results of all the posts.
Here's the fox, with his whiskers and all!! He is in the showcase as well, but it's nice to learn from eachother I think.

I used horse hair whiskers. I think they work really well.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I read this from the start and YES the whiskers make all the difference.
I wonderful fox Heather. The colours are so vibrant. I love it!!!!!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Heather -
He is very sweet. The wiskers make a difference.

iamjan Posts: 21

Your fox is quite a fox. bear_whistle  bear_tongue

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Heather,

You did a wonderful job on the fox. This was a very interesting thread. I had never thought about using horse hair for the whiskers and I have access to lots of horses. I used paper cording on the cat I did, but I like your whiskers much better.

Big Elfin Hugs,

Board footer