Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sherwood_5.jpgSP_SHERWOOD_cuRESZ.jpgSP_SHERWOOD_sideRESZ.jpgSP_SHERWOOD_frontRESZ.jpgHi.  I wanted to share my new born baby bear cub Sherwood. He is a brand new original design.   He is 23" tall made from hand dyed German mohair.  His muzzle, eye area, and paw details are needle felted.  Sherwood sees through real bear glass eyes and smells through a leather sculpted hand painted nose. 

His claws are something new I have been playing around with.  I sculpted and cast them in resin and then hand painted them.  His arms have loc-line armature and he is loaded with airbrushed and hand painted details.  He is a gentle and sweet natured bear.

Happy New year eveyone!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OOH JUDI!!! He is fab!!!!  WOW ... I can see you growing and expanding as well!!! You have taken on so many new challenges!  WOW WOW WOW!!!

He is one you are keeping then? Is this the little guy that you are with in your new pic?

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh Judi!!!! Sherwood is absolutely marvelous!! I love him!!! Beautiful job on his face Hon!

Many Hugs Louise

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Judi . . . what is there to say except that Sherwood is incredible!!  There is no end to your talent!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Julie, you are just too horid,  bear_original  bear_original  how did you ever create such a lovely bear !!!!!
What a charming creature to start the New Year with  bear_thumb
Lynette

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: Judi you just out do yourself what a wonderful creation  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

taralee teds Taralee Teds
south australia

He is fantastic. You have put so much expression into his dear little face...and those paws!!! What can I say - Im green with envy!!  bear_tongue   bear_rolleyes

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Sherwood is A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y. wonderful Miss Judi  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

I love all the superb finishing touches such as his claws - i bet you were over the moon with him when you'd finished him Judi - i would have been turning cartwheels down the street, metaphorically speaking as i can't even jump over a skipping rope without falling over!
bear_tongue

He's beautiful Judi  bear_thumb

Penny  :hug:

Irene Irenours-bears
France

I'M JALOUS, JAlous, jalous  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry I wanted to post my new designs, but after this FANTASTIC bruin, they are going to look just comon as they really are bear_cry  bear_cry
Judy, you have gold on hand :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Pipa UK

Oh wow he is Fan-Tas-Tic !!!!!

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Judi, he is superduperfabulistic. Great job!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH EVRYONE :hug:

I forgot tp add that the ginger colored fur on his neck and chest is lovely thick thick soft alpca mohair from Intercal.  Simply wonderful to work with bear_wub

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

Oh Judi he's gorgeous. I can hardly wait for your fabulous felted faces course to start. bear_smile
Ann

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Stunning and wonderful!! I'm speechless and you are totally amazing!! :hug:   :hug:   :hug:  bear_wub   bear_wub

LynBlair Posts: 139

bear_wub  bear_thumb  :clap:   Oh MY!!  You are so talented, Judi!  Your work is simply amazing. 

Awed, as usual, hugs,
Lyn

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Fabulous.  Really, there aren't words.  The multitude of skills and talents that went into producing this guy are mind boggling.  I hope, hope, hope he's a contest entry for you this year, Judi.  One never knows how those things will go, but he's certainly competition-worthy, and then some.  Very realistic, but also, teddy-like and cute.  Just superb!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Absolutely beathtaking and I am with Shelli on this one. He should be a contest entry. How did you attach his claws?
Hugs
Gail

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_grin  Yeah, sure.... I think you just coaxed a bear cub out of the woods and promised him loads of honey if he'd just sit still when you took the pictures and if someone looked at him!!  bear_grin

:hug: Seriously, Judi, I think you've outdone yourself with this little (or not so little!) chap  :hug:   I'm in awe at all the hours it must've taken for you to create such a detailed, and marvelous bear cub.  bear_wub

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Excellent Judi, absolutely Excellent.   Goodonya  bear_wub  :clap:

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

What a dream bear Judi - really, really stunning bear_wub  :hug:  :clap:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you.  I really mean that.  Your comments mean a great deal to me. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Gail, the claws were quite a project in itself. The reason I wanted to make resign claws is that resin is very very hard whereas polymer clay just is not as strong as I would like it to be and   can break easily.
  I created clay models of what I wanted the finsihed claws to look like.  Then I made a rubber mold using these claws.  After the mold was completed I had to mix the resin chemicals together and pour them very very quickly into my mold.  This stuff heats up when mixed and gets very hot.  It also sets within seconds of mixing.  Tricky stuff to use but I really really wanted rock-hard claws on this bear.

As soon as I poured the the liquid resin mixture I had small nails, that I pre-stuck into styrofoam, which I immediately placed into the claw molds all at the same time.  These are what I used to secure them into the finished paws.  I stayed awake at night thinking of ways I could do this.  I also have another method that I have not yet tried.  It involves a permanent wire inserted into the resign , also before it sets so the claws can be attached from the inside of the paw.

After I sanded and securely glued the nailed-claws in place at the angles I wanted, I hand painted them with three different layered colors of oil paint.  It took more than three weeks to dry but then end result was what I was looking for.  It was a lot of fooling around and expensive to do.  I don't know if these will be a regular thing I do or not...yet.....

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Wow! lots of work for claws!  He turned out beautiful!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh my, Judi . . . I feel like a lazy slug!  Those claws took an enormous amount of effort and patience on your part.  WOW!!  By the way - LOVE your new photo in the gallery!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

How wonderful he is Judi, he is absolutely perfect.  I love the gentle line of his muzzle and his lower lip.  I love the understated needlefelting.  everything is so delicate.  You really did it this time.  I can hardly wait to show Ricky.

(He thinks he your number 1 fan in the forest)

:hug:

dilu

Deb Upstate New York

Gorgeous as always.  :clap:

Board footer