Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Aggie Posts: 4

Hi Everybody

I was interested in entering this Competition but as I retired to France I am not eligible to enter. Being “Not born in another country† I cannot enter in the International Class either. This seems a very strange and un-necessary ruling considering we are now part of Europe and many Brits live in Mainland Countries?

I accepted all this but still keep an eye on the event. Am I the one person who thinks this “British† event is unworthy of the title? The whole thing becomes more and more amateurish! I refer to the change in the rules. Halfway through the Competition it has been decided that for one Class the shortlist will be doubled. In this Class there will be two winners, two seconds and two thirds. Why? I ask. In any Competition from the Olympics to Grannies Victoria Sponge there has to be a Winner. In the event that two are equal then a dead heat is declared. That means two people share first and second place and one other person takes third place. So why not in the BBAA? Is twelve entries too difficult to make a decision about who has won?

I know the Organiser puts in a lot of work and means well and I apologise for what must be an upsetting comment but meanwhile is there a Competition that I am eligible to enter?

Hugs

Aggie

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Sorry, I don't understand, for categories 1-8 you must have been born in and/OR living in and trading from Great Britain (I actually think that should be UK unless we've fallen out with those in Norn Iron, where I was born!)  So you are elligible to enter.

The Rule excludes me.  I was born in England but I am not living in England now nor am I trading in Great Britain.  Because I am living in France I could not enter.  Because I was not born in a foreign country I could not enter the International category either.  It is ridiculous!

Aggie

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Katy,

The way I read it she is not eligible to enter. Quoting your post "for categories 1-8 you must have been born in and/OR living in and trading from Great Britain". Although Aggie was born in Great Britain she is not trading in Great Britain. Unless we are reading it wrong it's the AND portion that disqualifies here as she is not living in Great Britain and trading there. If the rules just said OR then she would qualify so I am not sure if it was just an error in the wording or not.

Example:  for categories 1-8 you must have been born in OR living in AND trading from Great Britain, hmmmmm never mind that other AND just made her ineligible  bear_grin . So Basically to enter those categories you have to be trading in Great Britain end of Story. BUT you could have been born in Great Britain and are now living in the USA but as long as you were selling your bears in Great Britain then you would qualify.

I think I follow it now.   bear_grin

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Sorry, the mathematician in me is reading it as:

for categories 1-8 you must have been (born in) and/or (living in and trading from Great Britain)

So she was born here, and therefore can enter.

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
rowarrior wrote:

Sorry, the mathematician in me is reading it as:

for categories 1-8 you must have been (born in) and/or (living in and trading from Great Britain)

So she was born here, and therefore can enter.

Katy you are absolutely right. To be eligible you either have to have been born in Great Britain (if this is the case it is irrelevant where you live and trade) OR You were born elsewhere but are now living and trading in Great Britain. This rule was changed this year as it seemed unfair to those that had been living in the Great Britain for several years, but who under the old rules were not eligible to enter.

Aggie - perhaps you could tell us a little bit more about yourself and your bears?  This is a very friendly forum and it would be nice to get to know you.

Dear All
Oh Dear!  I put off and put off making my comments because I did not want to appear to be unfriendly.  The Rules are quite clear but give two options.  The first is that you were born in Britain and are CURRENTLY living and Trading there.  The second is that you were born in Britain or CURRENTLY living and Trading in Britain.

Category 9 is for people born in other countries than Britain so that excludes me.

I don't think that Dawn should say that Katy is absolutely right.  Katy is adding in brackets to alter the sense and means well but you cannot read English mathematically.  The rules are quite clear and should not be open to peoples' opinions.

As I have said the rule is there to exclude people and I think it is un-necessary?  Lots of us have moved to France and even more to Spain and other countries.  Bearguys have it right except that to be "trading in Britain" your business needs to be based there.  If you are based in the USA for instance and have customers in Britain you are still trading in the USA?
I notice no-one has made any reply to my other question about changing the rules half way through the competition.  I am heartily sorry if I have upset anyone but I stick to what I have said.  I did think long and hard before saying anything.  Now I wish I had not.  I think I will stick with my bears and stay right away from competitions.

Bye and God Bless you all
Aggie

Wendy Hobday Posts: 4

Hi Aggie,

I was surprised at you raising this issue now, the final dates for entries was July 31st, and I wondered why you did not raise it with me directly.  My phone number is on the forms, and you can contract me through the web-site.  I have had no complaints from any Artists entering the competition at all.

With regard to the Class 1 decision, we had so many entries, and of such a high quality, the judges decided that it would be better to have three "deas heats" as you call them, and make the final decisions on the day when they can be seen "in the fur"; this class also had both dressed and undressed bears, and next year they will be divided into "dressed" and "undressed".

I would love to see some of your bears, perhaps you can post some photos.

I am glad this topic is now closed, and we can all get on with making, selling and promoting Teddy Bears.

Best wishes Wendy

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Aggie
I have so far not commented on your post, I have been burnt alive on here before.....................the internet is just letters on a forum without a human touch, so things can get miss-read

I will be brave enough to answer your query over category 1 (as I am a nominee in that category) I myself am very glad that they changed the rules "halfway through" but I have been nominated, many of us had realised that this category has grown over time to be huge and it is a sensible decision to address this issue

Wendy please forgive me adding my bit on cat 1, I felt it was only right to do so  :hug:

Wendy Hobday Posts: 4

Nothing to forgive Sue, you are quite right.

Best wishes Wendy

Dear Wendy
I was hoping to put all this in the file bin but your posting has niggled at me all week.  You do not seem to understand the point I was trying to make. You asked me two questions so I will reply.
My opening question was "is this competition worthy of the name?" The rules that excluded me and other ex-pats were your already amended version and I did not think it likely that you would change it again after just publishing. Although it's not British to exclude people it was accepted by me, although upsetting.
Then I noticed that other rules had been changed after all and at the stroke of a pen and that's why I posted when I did. Changing rules halfway through a competition is not British either. Nor did it make any sense. Do you not realize that two people who will have worked hard to get to the top of your class will be embarrassed to have to say "I won the class but so did someone else"? If you are going to organize a competition and then judge the people who have worked so hard, you should at least try to get the rules right.
Before you are glad the topic is closed, just a tiny apology from you may have been in order?

Aggie

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Hi Aggie,
Just thought that I would like to help clear up this matter to put your mind at rest.
The way I see the rules for category 1-8 is that there are two choices
1...You must have been born in the uk (But you can trade from the UK or anywhere else around the world i.e France in your case).This would include you so you can enter the competition.
2...You have to be living and trading in the uk.
Correct me if I am wrong Wendy bear_noexpression .I have tied myself in knots trying to explain myself bear_original
I am through to the final in the miniature category and understand that as they had so many entries this year they thought it fair to have two 1sts etc.They wouldn't have known beforehand that there would be so many entries this year so next year they will change the categories to miniatures dressed and undressed.Maybe the past few years there were not as many miniature entries to warrant the two categories.I have noticed myself this past year that many artists are making miniatures  that used to make larger bears.
Laurie :hug:

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
Laurie wrote:

Hi Aggie,
Just thought that I would like to help clear up this matter to put your mind at rest.
The way I see the rules for category 1-8 is that there are two choices
1...You must have been born in the uk (But you can trade from the UK or anywhere else around the world i.e France in your case).This would include you so you can enter the competion.
2...You have to be living and trading in the uk.
Correct me if I am wrong Wendy bear_noexpression .I have tied myself in knots trying to explain myself bear_original
I am through to the final in the miniature category and understand that as they had so many entries this year they thought it fair to have two 1sts etc.They wouldn't have known beforehand that there would be so many entries this year so next year they will change the categories to miniatures dressed and undressed.Maybe the past few years there were not as many miniature entries to warrant the two categories.I have noticed myself this past year that many artists are making miniatures  that used to make larger bears.
Hope I have been of help to you. 
Laurie :hug:

You are absolutely right Laurie.

There have been no complaints at all from anyone who has entered the competition, so I am slightly at a loss as to why someone who did not enter has a problem with the category. In my opinion, it would have been far worse if several artists that had made exquisite bears had been excluded because the category was too large to accommodate them.

Each of the first placed artists in that category will know that they have been up against very stiff competition and that they have won a lovely award that says 'British Bear Artist Awards 1st Place' etc., that they can display on their table with great pride.  They will also know that their entry will have been judged by three different judges all with years of experience in the Teddy Bear World.

Personally I am really looking forward to the fair in its new venue at Brighton Race Course. The fair is now full, and I think it is going to be a wonderful day out for collectors and exhibiting artists.

Board footer