Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

IMG_3765_edited-1-copy.jpgHello everyone! I rescued Dakotas mother (unspayed female bernese) it's a long story! It has been 10 days today since she got here and the first night she was here she started her heat cycle. They have been playing sometimes but snap and growl sometimes too. Dakotas mother  will be 7 years old in May so Dakota acts quite a bit immature more than her still. I'm finding Roxie (the new one) is moody and can play one second and get all scrappy the next, is this due to her being in heat? I correct the behaviour as soon as i see it. I hope these 2 will get along so I don't have to rehome Roxie and put even more stress on her. Advice please!! Here's a picture of them both, Roxie in the front and Dakota in the back

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

She's beautiful, but I would get her spayed as soon as possible.  That might take care of all or at least some of her problems.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

It might be due to being in heat but I think there's also a pecking order getting established here.  It might take some time for the dogs to set their own boundaries.

Bigger dogs are just like that.

I have a friend who has 7 dogs in her house.  There is one big, St. Bernard/Golden Retriever mix which tries to throw her weight around with the other dogs.  That's just the way she is but it takes a human with a strong hand who knows how to make big dogs behave.

Kris, my friend, is just unable to handle a dog like that.  She needs to be able to grab that dog by the collar and tell her "NO!" when the situation calls for it.

If YOU set the rules, it might help the dogs establish their own hierarchy.  But, if they can't work it out between themselves, you might have to step in and even separate the dogs.

Give them a little bit more time but don't be afraid to "take control" if you have to.

We are going to for sure! I really want to keep this girl so she can have a good home for the rest of her life bear_original

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

WOW They are both beautiful!!!  I think she is establishing a pecking order and of course it's a new place and she is in heat - to many things going on at once. 

I hope it works out for all of you  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Thanks gals bear_original I know Roxie get annoyed at Dakotas wild behaviour when she wants to play and that's anytime anywhere but when Roxie is in the mood to play then she's fairly good (except when she decides to get cranky for whatever reason) I'm having a hard time telling which one wants the dominant roll, they follow me around and are content and relaxed when I am bear_grin I do notice that Roxie can be more reserved and really wants that companionship with people.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
momanimallover wrote:

I do notice that Roxie can be more reserved and really wants that companionship with people.

Just a guess...  But I think that's the key.  She's angling for more attention from you.

You should definitely rule both dogs with a strong hand.  They are both big dogs that like to throw their weight around.  That's just the way big dogs are.  They aren't being mean.  They just operate on a different set of rules:  "Who is the biggest dog?"

That means you have to be the biggest dog.  You are the human.  It's your house.  It's your food.  You have the last word.  It might sound like you're being Draconian but, in reality, big dogs WANT to be told how to behave.  They want stability in their lives and, to a dog's mind, discipline is a form of stability.

So, now, you've got a new dog in the house and she needs to learn the rules of your house.

Dogs don't speak "human" very well and humans don't speak "dog."  You can't just print out the rules on a piece of paper and expect them to learn.  You have to tell them what to do.  You have to lead by example.

At this point, I think it's important to treat both dogs equally.
Feed them at the same time (but in different locations)  Take them outside at the same time or, at least, for the same amount of time.  Give them equal amounts of attention.  Scold fairly and equitably.  Give plentiful praise whenever they deserve it.  But, most of all, don't treat one dog superior or inferior to the other.  If you do, one dog will become resentful and that's when trouble starts.

After a while, both dogs will assume roles as dominant or submissive in different situations.  For instance, one dog might be the first one to eat but the other dog might have first choice where to sleep.  You should let the dogs work that out between them.  If you interfere too much, both dogs will be unhappy.  If you act as impartial referee who intervenes only when necessary they will become "dog buddies" and will happily share their territory and your affection between them.

It's just going to take time to work it all out.

But, in the mean time, don't be afraid to take one of those two dogs by the collar and holler, "NO!" if the situation warrants it.  You're not being mean when you do that.  Some dogs WANT to be told how to behave.

well I seem to be on the right track then, they all eat in the kitchen (including the cats) they have their space and NO ONE is allowed to take over anyone elses food, I supervise their feedings. I give them both the same amount of affection but if they bug me too much I ignore them. Dakota has always slept on the loveseat (if the cats let her) so I still let her, Roxie prefers the kitchen floor anyway. I walk both of them but if I go in the truck I only take Dakota so far cause Roxie is scared of truck rides. I have no problems being matter of fact and assertive in any bad behaviour, I just can't wait for the harmony to set in so I can relax more. I plan on getting more training in with both of them when things aren't quite so "new" anymore. I can't wait til Roxie's heat is over with! the whining she does at ALL the cats and Dakota is driving me nuts bear_wacko oh, and housebreaking is wonderful, hope she catches on soon!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I do believe Roxie will come around in due time.  She has had some major changes in her life.  On top of the trauma of the move etc., she is now in heat.  Imagine what she is going through.  Yuk!  In my dealings with dog rescues, we try to wait a bit before submitting them to any extra trauma like surgeries, unless absolutely necessary.  When I took in my yorkie I waited about a month before having her spayed because she had already been so traumatized that she was a basket case.  Be patient and I think you will be greatly rewarded with a pair of girls who will be loyal both to you and each other.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I think you're going to be all right.  I remember from other messages that you know how to handle dogs.  That's good!  :thumbsup:

As I mentioned, I've got a friend who has a dog that she can't control.  I firmly believe it's because she won't put her foot down and control that dog.

She talks to it like a baby...  "You were a bad dog so you need to go into the other room..."
Since dogs don't understand when people talk in sentences, it doesn't know what her human wants her to do.  The dog becomes willful because it was never taught correct behavior.

What she needs to say is...  "No!  Bad dog!  Go lie down!"
And, if the dog doesn't obey, she needs to grab it by the collar and take it to the "time-out" spot.  (Yes, just like we do with kids!)  And, if the dog gets snippy or won't obey, you can't be afraid to paddle it on the bum.  (With the flat of your hand.  It's more about the noise than it is about the hitting.)

But my friend just won't realize that this is the way big dogs think.  Because of this, she's having trouble controlling her dog.  So, that's why we have to find the dog a new home.

I'm not saying this to lecture you guys.  It's just because Brenda's situation reminds me of what's happening here.  So, I guess I can just say I know what you're going through.  Just chalk it up as moral support.  :)

I think you're doing it right.  :thumbsup:
As long as the dogs only just growl, snarl and snap at each other I don't think there will be a problem.

Just keep on doing what you have been doing and I think the dogs will settle down.  bear_cool

They both know that "enough, I mean it" voice. They both listen better than the big male cat I have that bullies all the other cats and likes to strut around bear_happy and he doesn't take nothing from the dogs either. I'm going to wait a month or so and then get her spayed, let her settle in some more. She didn't have an accident on the floor this morning so that's good! Well I better get outside and shovel in this freezing weather....

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Cats and dogs are funny together.  They may seem like enemies one moment then, a moment later, they band together and act like buddies.

I had a cat that was buddies with the neighbor's German Shepherd.  Any time another dog came around, the shepherd stood guard to keep other dogs away and whenever another cat came around, my cat guarded the dog from the other cat.  Then, when the other dog or cat went away, my cat and the shepherd would start to scuffle.  They acted like they had exclusive 'rassling rights with each other.

You're right.  I don't think you need to hurry getting the new dog fixed.  Better to let her settle in first.

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

All dog packs have to establish a top dog and they are vying for that...but the human owner must be the alpha...or else they will continue act out.  Since the younger has been there first, I'd always feed her first, give her treats first, etc.  We have 4 dogs, 3 large ones and a small shih-tzu/maltese mix.  They all eat separately.  Our yellow lab is food agressive so she has to eat by herself...she has no problems with sharing water though.
Hope it helps!

The past couple of days I'm noticing they play more, there's not much or any resource guarding anymore but when they play Roxie constantly mounts Dakota and dakota doesn't mind sometimes but gets tired of it and then she will bark and snap so Roxie leaves her alone. Roxie is trying to mount EVERYTHING since being in heat and I think sometimes Dakota thinks she's trying to mount her for dominance. This is the only time in the past couple of days when there's some snapping/growling/ barks. I'm thinking the majority of the problem right now is Roxie being in heat? Thoughts?

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

The humping could be because she's in heat...you're in new territory with having them in your home.  To be the wise "parent", I just assume she's trying to dominate so that the dog gets to know the rules, dogs love structure. 
Good luck!  I'd get that momma spayed as soon as possible!
Leeann

Oh yes she will be spayed! no later than February, I refuse to ever have a female dog be in heat again, lol

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

Be careful...I've heard some dogs come into heat quite regularly!  It's a no fun thing to mess with...my co-worker put a diaper on her dog until she got spayed when she came into heat!
Leeann

Oh no!! I'll try contacting the previous owners again so they can tell me her history with heat cycles

Board footer