Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

fiberobsessed Windsor CA

Just wondering what all of you who design your own patterns do with all the reject parts. I have a basket full of little heads, arms, bodies, etc. that never quite hit the mark. Eventually I get it right but I just can't bring myself to pitch them. What do you all do with your practice pieces?

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

newbornsiamese1o.jpgFur is so expensive. I keep all the pieces of fur left over from creating big cats in the bins of a laundry cart, separating them by style/length (I only use white fur that I then color). Most pieces go into one of my kittens ~ 8 week kitten, 12 day kitten, and a tiny newborn. Looks like your bears are fairly small? So I don't know if you would create smaller bears or animals? I have heard of artists making patch style bears with leftover fur and they can be very beautiful.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

fiberobsessed Windsor CA

Off the original topic but I looked at your website and the long hair tabby brought tears to my eyes. She is the twin of my much loved and recently departed Molly. I'm just in awe.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Are you sure that's not a real kitten Karen?  bear_grin I've always been in awe of your work but that one really tops them all, fabulous! :clap:

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

What a wonderful idea.  And such a beautiful kitten.

I do save all my pieces too in bins.  I unweave much of it to insert mohair into muzzles.  I also cut scraps into shreds and use these to stuff paws and feet, it makes a firm base, good for sculpting.

Joanne

annalong MadebyAnna

bear_grin My spare pieces become cat toys.  bear_grin When I don't like the way a head turned out..I close up the bottom and give it a toss...My kitty comes running and will play for hours. I actually have to be careful as my cats will steal sewn bear parts. My cats love the sassy long pile fabric.   bear_grin

fiberobsessed Windsor CA

Funny you should mention cat toys. I got up this morning to find a little practice head floating in his water dish. Maybe there would be a better market for our efforts in the "cat toys" part of eBay? Sad joke...sorry. :crackup:

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

I third the cat toy thing. My practice heads are made out of drill cotton and they get batted around, carried off and generally disappeared.

Board footer