Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

OK, I need help. Any TTers know about Steampunk? I know a little and I'm making a Steampunk cat (couldn't help it he just looks right for it, definitely punk). So far I've made him a cool black leather vest with a burned out deep purple velvet back panel and lining. I also have sunglasses I can add leather to. What would make him even more Steampunk?
Karen

Us Bears Pennsylvania

A top hat, goggles and a leather collar around its neck with a gold pocket watch as a pendant.

And, the cat has to have stripes like a Cheshire Cat.  Preferably black and golden brown.

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

ttsteampunkcat.jpgI found him from doing a google search, Karen!  Your steampunk kitty will need curled whiskers!!!
Hugs,
Janice

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Cute, but who is Steampunk?????

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower

Bry Thingumy & Co
Website

therebellion.JPGSteampunk-Art-Doll-Sarah.jpgI adore steampunk but have only ever seen it applied to dolls, have attached a couple of pics which you may find helpful, I think watch parts play a rather large role!!!!   LOL

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hi Karen,
I'm a little into steampunk too and know that you'll absolutely need to put gears, watchparts and other cool metal parts onto your cat!

Hugs Ariane

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes, my daughter is into steampunk.  She has a container of old watch parts and gears.

Joanne

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Here's the Wikipedia definition of steampunk.

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain—that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; in other words, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne or real technologies like the computer but developed earlier in an alternate history.

So in a nutshell, steampunk is a style, rather than a person.  It's a combination of old fashioned sci fi meets the Victorian era. Think Captain Nemo sort of.  I personally love this style.  (I've purchased jewelry that incorporates velvet and chiffon ribbon and pearls with old watch parts.)   I think it would make an awesome cat Karen!

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

bear_flower I love the steampunk style and hope to soon incorporate it into one of my bears soon.  There is an artist here on TT that has done some steampunk style, and her work is amazing!  Her name is Lena Karmatskaya and her profile picture here on TT is a nice example of the steampunk style.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Wow! Thanks everyone. I have a top hat and I'm going to go looking for old clocks and gears today  bear_thumb Us Bears, you must be psychic, he's reddish brown with grey/black stripes, rather thin, with a slightly open mouth and some teeth showing. He looks very Victorian even without his clothing. I guess he could be called dashing but I don't think you could call him cute. I'll show photos when he's finished.
Karen

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Cool!  Can't wait to see him!  bear_cool bear_thumb

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I always think about gears and metal parts when I think about steampunk bear_original

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

You've had some great responses so far.
Some of the best steam punk costumes I have seen involve the augmentation of the form ie wings, strengthening defective limbs etc.  You could add a framework around one of the limbs or even have a bunch of different magnifcation lenses that are attached to some kind of backpack contraption.
I do think the definitive steampunk accessories are goggles & aviator caps.

Here is a sculpture I made with steampunk wings

4398074538_fbc334d289_m.jpg
Chloe-final9 by jen_fripperee, on Flickr

4398074156_d1b16deaa2.jpg
Chloe-final5 by jen_fripperee, on Flickr

Us Bears Pennsylvania

A monocle that looks like a camera lens would be cool.  :cool:

But it mostly depends on what you want the cat to be.  Is it a real cat whose human is a Steampunk?  Is it a humanoid cat dressed up as a Steampunk?  Or, is it an anthropomorphic version of a cat?

If it is an anthropomorphic cat, go nuts and dress him up any way you want.

If it's a humanoid cat, you still have a lot of latitude but I think you should go more for the human side of the continuum.

If it's a real cat, stay pretty conservative toward the animal end of the scale.  A hat, goggles or similar could be okay but I think a collar with a Steampunk pocket watch as a pendant would look cool.  Who knows?  Maybe it's a Steampunk version of a miniature time machine?  bear_happy  You know...  Like Hermione Granger's "Time Turner." :D

Here are some pictures of Steampunk cats I found on the internet:

STEAMPUNKCATkdkd8.jpg

tumblr_lbpzoppLes1qechszo1_500.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

doll2.jpg
I've been intrigued by it for awhile now and decided to step waaay out of my comfort zone to dabble a bit.  While browsing through the craft magazines at Barnes and Noble, I saw the cover of the Sept/Oct issue of Cloth*Paper*Scissors and had to take a closer look.  Doll artist Paula Nerhus has created some very cute, interesting steampunk art dolls and gives instructions on how to make them in this issue.  I have never worked with clay, so it became a big labor intensive project for me, but finally finished this dolly last night.  I already had paint, fabric and many doodads that qualified as steampunk accessories, so all I had to purchase was the paper clay and I was ready to go.  Now, if I intend to add dolls to my ever growing list of creative endeavors, I need to establish my own "look".  But Ms. Nerhus provided the inspiration to step away from what I'm comfortable with, so thanks, Paula.

Since this thread is months old, you've probably already finished your cat, Karen, but if anyone is searching for steampunk accessories, any craft store that carries Tim Holtz scrapbooking supplies will have gears, watch parts, and other metal items that work well.

EEEK.  Sorry the photo is so big!

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

SteamPunkClown.jpgI made this Steam Punk Clown last year who won a Goldene George (2010) and TOBY Industry Award (2010). I used little thingies from old watches, because he is miniature. For bigger Bears save clock pieces.. rusted pins and beads...  having a bunch of this stuff together inspires to "what to do" with them. It`s fun!!

Bloomsburg, PA

Both the doll and the clown bear are fantastic, very inspiring.

Joanne

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

jules2.jpgjules1.jpgLOVE, that we brought back the Steampunk discussion. I think the name scares off some collectors. Steampunk is sort of Victorian leaning toward the Jules Verne novels. Very creative and imaginative. Here's the results of the early part of this discussion. Jules, he's about 15" tall. I particularly like his top hat clock with the black cat center pin. I really want to do my next Steampunk, maybe a Polar Bear. But I think I have to get through the Holidays before taking on any more projects. Love to see more Steampunk from the group. Wonderful stuff :clap:

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

These creations and photos are wonderful! If anyone wants further inspiration, the American TV show Wild Wild West was steam punk way before its time (from Wikipedia: James West and Artemus Gordon are two agents of President Grant who take their splendidly appointed private train through the west to fight evil. Half science fiction and half western, the Artemus designs a series of interesting gadgets for James that would make Inspector Gadget proud.)

I haven't seen the recent movie with Will Smith, but from the promos, it looks even more steampunk, and would be widely available to rent, I suppose.
Wild-Wild-West-Villain.jpg

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Karen . . . terrific use of Steampunk on Jules and he is a superb kitty creation!  Think you've mastered the look. 

And Berta, the SP clown is wonderful and certainly deserved the honors!

Yes, Becky, I remember watching 'Wild, Wild West' back in the day - thought it was a different and interesting concept then.

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Karen, I LOVE the steampunk kitty, Jules!  Fabulous!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub However, all of your work is amazingly fabulous!

Warmly,
Cheryl

Bloomsburg, PA

I LOVE the kitty, fantastic.

SueAnn, after your post I just googled Tim Holtz and ordered a bunch of stuff.  What a collection. 

Joanne

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

What wonderful creations you all have made!!!!!!

I love anything Victorian stlye!!!

What about some sort of Steampunk Challenge???? or a swap??? after the Holidays of course. It could be dolls, bears or other critters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might be bitting off more than I can chew, but would be able to organize it or help.

What do you all think????????????????

Sheryl

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Wow what a great thread. I have spent my whole morning reading it while doing other things about the house and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now thanks to all of you my new series of vintage/antiqued pirate bears are going to have to have a long lost brother who perhaps didn't take the typical pirate path but rather ran off into a steampunk era or something lol. In other words you've inspired me to add another bear to my list of bears I want to make.

Sheryl I would love it if there was a steampunk swap ~ that would be fantastic fun! I'd be in. I also may be biting off more than I can chew so hopefully it would be sometime early next year as I'm so swamped with bears right now! But certainly interested bear_original

Again, what a great thread and I love everyone's creations just amazing and SO inspiring! bear_laugh:D:D

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

I recently discovered Steampunk and I love it! It such fun. Steampunk Kitty, clown bear and doll are marvelous!!!!! I have plans on making steampunk dolls and bears myself sometime soon--hopefully soon that is.
I think a swap or challenge after the holidays would be great!  count me in!!!
If you can you should check out the November 2011 issue of Soft Dolls & Animals magazine. There are great steampunk dolls in it with a pattern included to make your own.
Beth

Board footer