Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

I have been playing around and working on some mini 5" bears. I was wanting to know the best pile of Mohair or other fabric to use for these little ones??? I am looking for a little bit longer pile to give them a more realistic look. Also where to find the fabric? I know of a few places.

Sheryl

HeidiBears florida

i was wondering the same thing!  bear_ermm

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I don't think I'll ever attempt such a small bear, but a lot of the mini-makers seem to like Sassy fabrics: http://www.sassybearsandfabrics.com/

Becky

WoozieJu Woozie Ju Bears
North Walsham
Website

Hi Sheryl,
Becky's right, I find Sassy's the best for miniature bear fabric. I particularly like the frosted long pile range as they have a good backing & can be made into just about anything! It's not the cheapest but it does give good results?
I hope this helps?
Hugs,
Julia x

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Thanks guys. I did order some of Sassy fabrics to give them a try. I really am looking for a little bit longer pile to give the bears a little more realistic fluffy look. I am thinking of designing some smaller 8" dogs and bears too. I will have to experiment some more.

I don't think my mind and hands will not let me go any smaller than 5". LOL The 4 that I have done have turned out pretty good.

Sheryl

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Intercal has some great fabrics  for bears that size, just check out their small cuts page. ALP8/s is a lovely alpaca, 600S is a great sparsish pile in lots of nice colours, and 300S/CM which is a curly sparse,  are some of  my favorites. The last two I use on bears down to 3" up to 5-6"
   Theres a few other 1/4"- 3/8" fabrics there too.

Kansas City Missouri
Website

Thanks Karen,

I was looking at those on Intercal but was not sure if that was was I needed. I will check them out again.

Thanks again,

sheryl

annalong MadebyAnna

I use Sassy Bear fabrics and love them. I love the long pile fabrics...  bear_wub

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I'd agree with Karen..the Intercal alpaca is a lovely quality and it makes a really nice small bear without it seeming over-dense.
I used to make lots of bears around that size and I have very few pictures of them but this is the alpaca in a bear that's around 4.5 inches

4308054719_999b1abe2a.jpg
Panda by honeythorpe, on Flickr

and this is an intercal fabric too I think - this is mohair - if you like it I'll see if I can work out what style it is - it's been a while since I talked fur!!  This bear is 3.5" but I think the fabric would work fine at 5 inches too.

4076760319_c316c37181.jpg
Simeon by honeythorpe, on Flickr

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Oh I love the sassy-fabrics - and you can find some sassy-fabrics  Dreli-bears at the coming up online-show by who-is-who-in-bearmaking - I have to order some more fabrics - it's so wonderful to work with!!!!

Board footer