Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

Hi All,
I'd love to hear your opinions on the benefits of professional memberships/subscriptions to magazines like Bears & buds, mini teddy hugs, or in fact any other professional memberships.

I'm a member of the UK coloured pencil society& the Society of botanical illustrators Australia, and while they are lovely people and send out a nice newsletter each quarter I don't really see much more benefit than I get to mention that I'm a member on websites & such.

I'd love to subscribe but the bears & buds subscription is quite a commitment.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
warm regards,
J.

melbourne

Just trying one more time to see if anyone has opinions on this topic?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I guess when it comes to magazine subscriptions, I have them because I enjoy reading the magazines and I want to support the companies that publish them.

When I think of professional organizations, I assume that my membership dues cover the costs of things like maintaining a useful website, organizing conferences, preparing professional position statements, or providing things like group insurance to the members (in a nutshell, all the administrative costs of the organization).

So to me they're different things, and I'm willing to support both, but I personally don't know of any teddy-bear-artist professional organizations that do all of the things I mentioned, and do them on a non-profit basis. (I'm not sure I answered your question, but I had fun thinking about it. :hug: )

Becky

Karon Posts: 751

Sorry to divert the conversation, but I do like your avator bear.   He is CUTE!!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Becky is right, we don't have a professional organization that functions as a proper "society". I think to some that would denote elitism which there really isn't much of in the teddy bear world. This could be why you didn't get a response to your question.

When teddy bear collecting was at it's peak in the late 90s and there were many more artists and the internet wasn't active yet, there were bear maker "societies"... essentially local clubs. But once the internet came along and we becamse a worldwide group the whole scene changed. Then with the change in the industry in recent years it seems bear artists are more scattered and local clubs fell apart.

There are plenty of bear maker groups online to join and you might find a club near you that meets on a regular basis. This would give you the opportunity to meet with like-minded people, network, etc. Such online groups as the Guild of Master Bearcrafters would help you network internationally, learn about suppliers, events, contests, etc. Teddy Talk does much the same thing but the Guild if for artists only, not collectors. You'll find many of the same artists are members of many online forums/groups. There are many places to network online!

Magazine subscriptions are a totally seperate thing in my mind too. There are at least two paper magazines that you can get the digital ezine or iMag subscription to for a very affordable price. Teddy Bear Review (US) and Teddy Bear Times (UK)They are great reading and give you insight as to what's going on in the bear world. You can advertise in the mags for a cost or you can submit photos for possible print at no charge.

We all have to work hard and spend a lot of time at self-promotion in this industry. The more active you are in the bear community... online forums/social networking, doing shows, having a website or blog, meeting with a club, etc. the more exposure you'll give your work, more business you can attract and more friends you'll make. There are so many places to promote yourself.... no one place/group/guild/society can do it all for you.

I hope that we're sort of answering your questions for you! bear_original

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I think it all depends what you're expecting to get out of the memberships.  My other great passion is photography, although I am definitely not a pro there.  I have seen many discussions about professional memberships in this arena, but that is a rather different context.  For those wanting to sell their work such as landscapes or still life, they're a work of art, and you can take it or leave it, therefore it's unlikely a prospective customer is going to be swayed by qualifications.  If, on the other hand, you wish to take the likes of wedding photos, portraits, product work, then professional memberships can be useful to show that you are not just a fly by night, popped up with a camera bought yesterday kind of thing.  Finally there's those delivering courses - for these it can also be reassuring to the customer that if you have a professional membership you might know what you're talking about.  I think, though, that for the most part teddy bear artists fall into the first category.  You're not making a bear that will make or break somebody's memories of their great day, you are making works of art that people will either love and want, or they will pass on.

If it's drumming up business you're after, then I think Daphne's nailed it that it's self promotion that will pay off more.  If whatever you're looking at gives you a lot of advertising for less money and/or hassle than organising it yourself, and you're sure that it will hit more people than you could target through forums etc, then great.  Part of the cost, of course, is your time spent networking when you could be making bears.

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi, I'm not a professional, just someone who appreciates bears, collects a few and makes the odd one or four a year.  But I just noticed that you are missing a huge opportunity on this site.  Apart from your avator you have not really shown off your creations.  You can use the showcase for sold peices (or peices going to a show) and Teddy Bears and other friends section for those on sale.  You mentioned that you were attending your first show, please post piccies, we love them and its free advertising for you.  I always look at the after show (pre show) photos that are shown on here looking for bears I like.  I then look up the artists website and (if pennies permit) buy a bear.   If its self-promotion your looking for, here's a great starting place!  bear_thumb

melbourne

Thanks Everyone for your great replies.
I hope I haven't missed replying to anyone below!

dangerbears wrote:

I guess when it comes to magazine subscriptions, I have them because I enjoy reading the magazines and I want to support the companies that publish them.

When I think of professional organizations, I assume that my membership dues cover the costs of things like maintaining a useful website, organizing conferences, preparing professional position statements, or providing things like group insurance to the members (in a nutshell, all the administrative costs of the organization).

So to me they're different things, and I'm willing to support both, but I personally don't know of any teddy-bear-artist professional organizations that do all of the things I mentioned, and do them on a non-profit basis. (I'm not sure I answered your question, but I had fun thinking about it. :hug: )

Becky

Thanks Becky, I understand where you are coming from, I think what I'm getting at is a few magazines seem to be offering professional memberships that seem to be another name for paid advertising. I just wanted to know if people found they got traffic from these sites?

Karon wrote:

Sorry to divert the conversation, but I do like your avator bear.   He is CUTE!!!!

Thanks Karon!

Daphne wrote:

There are plenty of bear maker groups online to join and you might find a club near you that meets on a regular basis. This would give you the opportunity to meet with like-minded people, network, etc. Such online groups as the Guild of Master Bearcrafters would help you network internationally, learn about suppliers, events, contests, etc. Teddy Talk does much the same thing but the Guild if for artists only, not collectors. You'll find many of the same artists are members of many online forums/groups. There are many places to network online!

Magazine subscriptions are a totally seperate thing in my mind too. There are at least two paper magazines that you can get the digital ezine or iMag subscription to for a very affordable price. Teddy Bear Review (US) and Teddy Bear Times (UK)They are great reading and give you insight as to what's going on in the bear world. You can advertise in the mags for a cost or you can submit photos for possible print at no charge.

We all have to work hard and spend a lot of time at self-promotion in this industry. The more active you are in the bear community... online forums/social networking, doing shows, having a website or blog, meeting with a club, etc. the more exposure you'll give your work, more business you can attract and more friends you'll make. There are so many places to promote yourself.... no one place/group/guild/society can do it all for you.

Thanks for a considered reply Daphne. I definitely agree that there is no substitute for getting yourself out there and submitting to magazines, attending shows, being involved on forums etc.
I was just wondering, as i mentioned above, If the people who have professional memberships for the online magazines who offer it  (bears & buds, mini teddy hugs) feel they get the value out of it?

rowarrior wrote:

I think it all depends what you're expecting to get out of the memberships.  My other great passion is photography, although I am definitely not a pro there.  I have seen many discussions about professional memberships in this arena, but that is a rather different context.  For those wanting to sell their work such as landscapes or still life, they're a work of art, and you can take it or leave it, therefore it's unlikely a prospective customer is going to be swayed by qualifications.  If, on the other hand, you wish to take the likes of wedding photos, portraits, product work, then professional memberships can be useful to show that you are not just a fly by night, popped up with a camera bought yesterday kind of thing.  Finally there's those delivering courses - for these it can also be reassuring to the customer that if you have a professional membership you might know what you're talking about.  I think, though, that for the most part teddy bear artists fall into the first category.  You're not making a bear that will make or break somebody's memories of their great day, you are making works of art that people will either love and want, or they will pass on.

If it's drumming up business you're after, then I think Daphne's nailed it that it's self promotion that will pay off more.  If whatever you're looking at gives you a lot of advertising for less money and/or hassle than organising it yourself, and you're sure that it will hit more people than you could target through forums etc, then great.  Part of the cost, of course, is your time spent networking when you could be making bears.

Thanks Katy, I understand what you mean about the photography.
You are very right, self promotion is where it's at and I need to get on that bandwagon!

Lovethosebears wrote:

Hi, I'm not a professional, just someone who appreciates bears, collects a few and makes the odd one or four a year.  But I just noticed that you are missing a huge opportunity on this site.  Apart from your avator you have not really shown off your creations.  You can use the showcase for sold peices (or peices going to a show) and Teddy Bears and other friends section for those on sale.  You mentioned that you were attending your first show, please post piccies, we love them and its free advertising for you.  I always look at the after show (pre show) photos that are shown on here looking for bears I like.  I then look up the artists website and (if pennies permit) buy a bear.   If its self-promotion your looking for, here's a great starting place!  :thumbsup:

You are right, I'm not taking advantage of this site as much as I could. I'm currently putting together my bears for the Melbourne fair. So I'll be posting photos shortly.

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Here in the UK there is the British Toymaker's Guild

http://www.toymakersguild.co.uk/

Is there something similar in your location?

cheers,
G

Board footer