Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Can anyone tell me what I can use to harden some needlefelting I have done.  I know some people have use something on their creations, but I have no idea what this is and I really would appriciate someone sharing their knowledge with me. Thanks!

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

clare14 Country Bears
England

I've used Mod Podge to harden needlefelting before, don't know if it's right  bear_wacko  lol, but it worked for me.....xxx

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Jane,  there a a couple of different things I have used to harden needle felt.  I am in the US so brands may be different.  The paint company Delta Ceramcoat sells something called All-Purpose Sealer. It is used to prepare wood and other porous surfaces for painting, like a clear gesso.  It makes the felt really good and hard.  The other is Mod-Podge which I know we have discussed before it is a decoupage glue and sealer, more plasticy, leaves the felt firm but not super hard.

Either way I use a paint brush to dampen the felt before applying. That way whatever you use can soak into the felt.  I always wet my brush and then pick up the material to dilute it down some. Around the area where the felt is not to be hardened I even dilute it more so it blends in. I apply a couple of coats.  I sand lightly with an emery board to smooth.

Joanne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I wonder, would a fabric stiffener work? Just talking out loud. I use Aleen's Fabric Stiffener for hardening crochet vessels/bowls etc. and it's a permanant stiffener on yarn without making it feel like plastic but I have never tried it on needlefelting. Hm.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Another thing that makes needle felting more firm but still workable (it shrinks the fibers) is to paint using hot water with a drop of soap in it.

Board footer