Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/resear … -more.html

Lynn & Sue rec'd the primary findings they've been waiting for, from the Dept of Natural Resources.
It almost poses more questions than it solves, tho.

While it tells the what, it cannot give the how or who or when...

Mysteries remain.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

While I really prefer not to think it was Hope or Lily that caused the bite leading to the problem, I suppose it's possible.  I just cringe and get sad when thinking about how little Jason might have suffered while succumbing to the infection.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Us Bears Pennsylvania

There are no sensory nerves in the brain.  It is quite possible that the bear felt no indication of sickness and, except for the laceration on his head, might not have felt any pain at all.

Since nobody knows exactly how he got that injury, there's no way of knowing for sure but it is conceivable that the bear felt dizzy or woozy for a time before he expired then, one day, he went to sleep and never woke up again.

suburban Chicago

And I like the scenario of the coyotes.... could all be pipe dreams but I'm a glass-half-full kinda gal and just cannot see even a family accident causing both injuries to occur quickly together in any other way.....
Just call me Pollyanna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Me too Bobbie - for me, it's "the coyote's did it".   The fact it's a small puncture wound, helps me to believe this scenario,  pipe dream or not.

puca bears puca bears

Another Polyanna here Bobbie, but it does seem the most plausible. And taking into account the fact that Lily charged Lynnn -  really meaning business -  just after Jason's death, when he tried to pick Faith up really reinforces it...........Lily is normally a very gentle bear, but she must have still been rattled after the predator's attack on her cub. Having "met" Lily and Hope last August, i can vouch for her good nature!  It's all been terribly sad, and there has been a lot of blaming of Hope..........but we saw how roughly Lily played with Hope last year.
Nature ain't kind - and these things happen............
Good thing is that wee Faith is thriving :dance:  :dance:

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

One more Polyanna here. I, tto, believ the coyote story. Hope has always been so gently with the cubs and Faith even initiates play with her, which she would not do if Hope had injured Jason.

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

I guess I'm thinking it was the coyotes since it was a "pinpoint" hole.  I haven't looked at the teeth of bears vs. coyotes, but my gut tells me that the coyote's teeth would be smaller in diameter and more likely to make a pinpoint hole.  I know, I know...but that's the story I'm sticking to (it's just easier to take).

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub It was a very interesting read.  I believe the coyote was the culprit also, even tho at times I could not watch Hope as she played with the babies, but they never cried out. So I can only assume it was not painfull.  Look how rough Lily was just cleaning little Faith, and she slept through it all.  I get annoyed about the hunters that think they can shoot collared bears.  That sure is no sport.  I do not think any bears should be killed, and in New Jersey thats how it is unless they decide to give special permits due to over population.  I don;t like that either.
But I hope that Lily and her 2 girl family survive and move on to great days.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For sure - I, too, will go with the coyote attack.  Plus, am I making something up, or wasn't there one night just before they permanently left the den that Jason was out for several hours by himself?  Hope and Lily both went looking for him and he just came back on his on in time.  Could something have happened to him during that walk-about?  Anyway, I choose not to think the bite was mama's or sister's.

suburban Chicago

I was watching the YouTube vid of Lily grooming Faith, and realizing the size of Lily's teeth in the close-ups.
Hope's teeth cannot be far too behind Mom's in size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmHrhWB … ure=relmfu

Now note the size of Lily's and Faith's claws. I would imagine a 'pinprick-sized hole' to be have been made by something no larger than one of Faith's claws - and those sure aren't Lily's OR Hope's!!!

Board footer