Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

OMG - I just found another explanation - Now I'm  R  E  A  L  L  Y   embarrassed!!!

I think I'm going to go change that word right now.....
- - - - - - -
OK, apparently I typed over the original post instead of a typing new post at the bottom - - and erased the link.
Just as well!

The rest is gone But here's the link again -

http://www.youtube.com/user/bearstudy#p/u/0/wMpXXqzJw1E

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love this video of Faith's antics!

I know that in American English, we use the word "spunk" to mean something like a lot of energy and attitude. Speakers of British English find this odd, I know, and I think the word must have a naughty meaning for them. (If so, please PM me and tell me what it means! :D)

Ha ha - never mind. I looked it up online. (No wonder they think we're weird to use the word. :crackup:)

Becky

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Hee hee Becky, was wondering if you really wanted me to say  bear_whistle

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

The happiest thing for me is seeing Hope not alone.  She has someone to play with, both girls do. 

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Joanne wrote:

She has someone to play with, both girls do.

Well-said! Either of them could have been lonely bears if things had gone differently.

And I assume it's Sue Mansfield that's been making these videos? What a great job she's doing!

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Isn't that Faith a bundle of energy?!  Just hope we don't encounter this year the high drama we had last year . . . don't think my emotions could handle it.  Will have enough stress when hunting season begins - since we didn't get the desired protection for the research bears.  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

suburban Chicago

"Pardon my French' as we Yanks say, but is it similar to this in Wikipedia?
Australian slang, meaning hot, [INVALID], referring to the person with an X-factor.
That's all I can find online.

I have an ex-pat BIL and DS - both w/dual UK citizenships - and I thought I knew just about every slang term there was, from the most casual to the saltiest, but I'd never heard this one before in that reference!

Apparently the folks at the No Amer Bear Center don't know the term either, as I was using their word!! LOL
Written as text under the YouTUBE video:

Faith samples a few "big bear" foods then runs off to attack Lily and Hope. Something put the spunk in that little cub...she relentlessly bites and pounces on her sister and mother!

Sorry to carry this into the shady area - not my intention   :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:

puca bears puca bears

That's got to be one of the best videos ever (and yes, Sue Mansfield's work)......Faith is a funny, furry bundle of energy.  And even the most persistant "cluckers" have been silenced....she may be small, but there is certainly NOTHING wrong with little Faith bear_wub  bear_wub
And don't worry Bobbie.....there are quite a few words that have different meanings on the other side of the pond.........on the bear course, Lynn was telling us that RC is a rather nervous bear, and liable to take a swipe if you get to near her..........but he described her as a "slapper" and looked rather puzzled as I and another Brit dissolved into giggles. We had to explain that to us, the term referred to a lady of - shall we say - loose morals! :crackup:

suburban Chicago

The thing that really gets to me now, as we get into summer season is picturing how Sue & Lynn must be dressed as they foray out into black fly/mosquito country in 'high season'. It makes me all twitchy and skitterish and I can hardly sit still just watching the videos.

I can picture them either garbed like a beekeeper, completely covered in 'space suits' - - or doused in ever known insect repellant and smelling to high heaven to keep those flying hordes at bay and away from them.

It's the only way they could keep the hand-held cameras so steady. You can hear the whine of the mosquitos as they zoom by—I swear there's one in this room near my ear, even though we can bearly get out of the 50°s and 60°s here in upper Illinois and mosquitoes are still in our future.

There's a special place in heaven for scientists who put themselves into such difficult positions, conditions and situations (like those who they feature every month in the Nat Geo Society's mag) so that we can experience what's going on in the world around us—up close and personal, from the comfort of our easy chair!

suburban Chicago

I found a 4 yo video of June and her 3, five-week-old cubs, Lily and her 2 brothers (Winter 2007):

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/ … velop.html

PBS will be running 3 separate hour-long specials in most major markets on Wed night, 8 June, in prime time 7 - 10 PM CST. Check your listings! A few of the bears we've come to know by name over the years will be shown, in their earlier years.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Love those cubby sounds!  Looks as if Lily has the 'squirmies' . . . wants to get out of that bear hold June has on her.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Bobbie wrote:

PBS will be running 3 separate hour-long specials in most major markets on Wed night, 8 June, in prime time 7 - 10 PM CST.

I have this on my calendar, but the channel is Nat Geo Wild. I don't see it listed on PBS, so you might want to double-check.

I can't wait! It will be very interesting to see the BBC take on life in the northwoods.

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I marked it on my calender too.  I do not want to miss it.

Joanne

Board footer