Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

PBB-Artist-Trading-Card-1-.jpgThere's something new for all you artistic types to ponder and create ... ARTIST TRADING CARDS!

On another board I visit occasionally, Nancy Tillberg of North Country Teddy Bears mentioned them -- she shared that doll artists are doing them.  Being a curious sort of gal who had never heard of artist trading cards before, I did a little research.  Here's what I found:

========================================================================

Artist trading cards
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Artist trading cards, also known as ATCs, are 2 ½ x 3 ½ inch (64 x 89 mm) miniature works of art which artists trade with one another, similar to the way people trade sports cards. They can be any medium: pencil, watercolor, acrylic, oil, collage, scratch board, mixed media - anything the creative mind of the artist can think up. Artist Trading Cards are produced as originals, as limited editions, or as a series. ATCs are a relatively new art form which formally began in September 1996. The concept was created by Swiss artist M. Vänçi Stirnemann.

Conceptually ATCs are about exchanging art without the interface of the art world and without money being involved. Artists trade their cards in face-to-face trading sessions as well as via mail. Artists who trade by mail often make their arrangements online and/or through e-mail. In some ATC artists' opinions, trading cards by mail is a diminished experience when compared to an ATC Trading Session.

Rules of ATCs

There are only two true rules applied to Artist Trading Cards:

1. The dimensions of the card must be 2.5 x 3.5 inches (64 x 89 mm).
   2. The cards must be traded - never bought or sold.

Artist Trading Cards are typically made on a base of card stock, although this is not mandatory. ATCs have been created on metal, stiffened fabric, plastic, clay, and many other materials. Various techniques are then applied to the chosen canvas: collage, assemblage, digital art, calligraphy, beadwork, watercolors, rubber stamps, and many others. The back of the card typically includes the artist's signature, the date, and the number (if the card is part of an edition or series).

========================================================================

There are also sites on the web where you can view ATC collections, or the ATC's offered by particular artists.  Also, you can view their philosophy of trading and card fabrication.  Some artists (I'm talking paper/paint artists mostly, not doll or bear artists in this case) like a handmade, one-of-a-kind card for trade.  Others think digitally created or photocopied cards, so long as they are in limited editions, are equally desirable, since they are just one other form of artistic expression.  (Amen!)  I'm not sure how the doll artist community is doing the ATC thing... but it occurred to me that it would be a fun thing to introduce and push in the teddy bear community.

The "rules," as outlined above, seem to be absolute and understood across the board.  The size MUST BE 2.5 x 3.5... and the cards are NOT to be bought, but rather exchanged for other cards.

You don't have to be a whiz at digital design to participate.  You can draw something; make a collage; use paint and photocopies; rubber stamp; emboss; or otherwise go crazy, in ways that express YOUR bear-related artistry!

The photo above is the first ATC I've created; it's entirely digital, and on the backside I printed some info about me (company name, my name, city/state/country, website) so people can find me on the web and in the world.  This particular card is a limited edition of only nine.

Just something I thought people might have interest in... which sounded very fun, and like just one more way to connect with one another!

... Anybody wanna trade?

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Shelli, I was wondering if there was a way we bear artists could do this too.   I love the idea of ATC's and I think it would be so much fun.
I was going to mention it a while back, but just could not visualize how we could make them for our art.
I saw some the other day done by quilters and they were marvelous. They were actual scraps of quilts and collages made by quilt artists that were glued to a backing and then edges.

I would love to do this...what a great collection, and it is only for artists to exchange.  The idea is very enchanting.

I love your new avatar, Shel...it is just stunning.  Did I tell you that the lady who designed my web site, was so enthralled with the avatar you designed me...she wanted to know who created it.   Anyway, since you said it was mine and I could use it as I wanted...It is my link banner on my website.
You do such beautiful work...I know you spend hours on them and this new one of yours is just positively gorgeous....very Victorian to me.

Anyway, if you gals can figure out a way for us to make ATC's I think it would be just so much fun.

:hug:
Nanc.......

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Nancy, I think if people simply use photos of their bears as the base of their cards, like I did, then it's halfway done already!  Many people here also quilt, scrapbook, felt, etc.  The possibilities are astounding and endless!

You could digitally insert a bear photo... or physically cut it out and paste/collage into place.  That, or use glue dots, for a 3D effect.  And so on...

I'd love to get this movement rolling in the teddy bear industry and think I just might write to the editors of the big US magazines and ask whether they might have some interest in discussing ATC's in an upcoming issue!  It's something artists who exhibit could bring to shows... there could even someday be a table for ATC meetups at big venues.  Bearmakers visiting shows could bring a handful and see if exhibitors and friends want to trade!  That way, we get to take home a piece of one another's art, without the pricetag.  And the fact that it's a trade makes it special and personal.

Just some thoughts...  glad you've heard of the idea, tho, and like it, in theory.

Anybody else have suggestions, embellishments, or improvements on the concept to add before I send off a quick note to the magazines?

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Noooooo Nooooooo Nooooooooo please - i can see HOURS of time being spent on the computer fiddling about with designs for a trading card and then liking it so much i decide to keep it and then having to start all over again and design another one and then trying to get hold of a particular artists card and then..............
.............................aaaargghhhh i'm getting frustrated already and i have'nt even decided to make a trading card ! (Yeah, right)

I have an addictive personality and this could.......just......finish......me.........off  bear_wacko

How does this trading lark work anyways???????? heh heh heh

SHELLI - I lurve your new avatar - how'd ya do it???  bear_wub

Penny  bear_tongue

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Way cool!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

gotobedbears wrote:

]SHELLI - I lurve your new avatar - how'd ya do it???

Penny, you crack me up.  I think we could side by side drinking tea (or whisky, depending on the weather and our moods), tinkering in parallel with PhotoShop for 89 consecutive hours without sleep.

This one was a very complicated bugger but in a nutshell some of what I did was:

-- Distressed edges over the whole card
-- EDIT>STROKE at about 30% opacity, in magenta
-- Stitch brushes (I made them) to create the zigzag effect
-- Circle dot brushes (made that too) for the circle dot effect, over which I applied a gradient
-- Images from web (Swarovski flower tiara, tag) desaturated and used for accent
-- Polar bear received a DIFFUSE GLOW filter and OUTER GLOW blending options, w/DROP SHADOW
-- Wings were photocopied from a butterfly book I have here at home and then I think I used PIN LIGHT Blending Option to make them all weird and fairy-like, plus they have like a 1 pixel stroke in deep purple at their edges
-- Background pattern created using free downloaded TIM BURTON brushes, I BEVEL and EMBOSSED the pattern for a 3D effect
-- Banner scanned from royalty-free clipart book I have at home; SEPIA "style" applied
-- BURN tool used to burnish banner into antique-look
-- Vintage floral swag image used at edges
-- Images of satin bows slightly desaturated and used to accent banner

If you know how to install/save brushes I can send you my stitch brushes (I made a zigzag and a straight stitch, which can also be used singly as a "staple", and also I made a circle dot brush) and you can install them on your computer.

Let me know!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

The more recognized term for art cards right now is ACEO (stands for Art Card Edition or Original).  Search eBay for ACEO and you'll probably find a plethora of auctions under it.  And as far as Wikipedia entries go, I don't think you'll ever find two people who agree on the definitions that are submitted.  ACEO folks generally trace back the concept of miniature card art back centuries, and evidence of traded art cards back quite a ways as well, though the US standard for card sizes wasn't set until the 1960's.  And ACEOs can most definitely be sold, they really took off a few years back as a way for art collectors to get an extensive collection of artists' works without spending a fortune on full-size original prints and paintings.  Some people keep them in protective trading card plastic covers and store them in fancy boxes... they can have hundreds of varieties of works of art for very little expense and no art-hanging wall space needed. Many of the cards on eBay only go for a few dollars each.  It's a fun hobby.  That having been said, I am only familiar with ACEOs as being actual ART, paintings or art prints.  I'm completely unaware of a branch of photographic based cards, though I have occasionally seen very old copyright-free photographs used in ACEO collages.  That having been said, I have never seen them used in the doll industry either, so I don't know how they're using them there.  Trading cards are a cute concept, though I would be more willing to call them Bear Trading Cards and not Art Trading Cards, as that definition really has only been used for traditional artists (that I've ever seen).

Cheers,
Kelly

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Shelli,

Great Idea!!!!!!

I have used ATC's in the past. (for my art work) It is really cool. I am going to start working on mine!!!!! Your's is beautiful!!!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Have fun  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Big Bear Hugs
Kassity

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Kelly, that's all good to know.  I only searched Artist Trading Cards on GOOGLE because the concept was entirely unfamiliar to me until Nancy mentioned it, so that was the only term I had.  I went to many, many websites and all of them generally agreed with the Wikipedia definition (size, trade only.)  But given your new information it's clear there is an entirely different way to look at the whole concept; thanks for posting about that!

As I alluded to above, I did read that some artists dislike trading 3D, hand-pieced or hand-drawn cards, for digital or photographic ("flat") cards.  However, it was written that others believe digital art is just another medium, like stitched, pieced, inked, painted, felted, or pencilled art are their own mediums... and thus, equally viable and valuable for trading.  Mixed-media cards seem to be especially well liked and sought-after.  I, personally, quite liked the cards with interactive elements.

I haven't heard of these being traded in the bear industry and I, too, am unfamiliar with how they are being used in the doll industry (I did a search on that and came up empty.)  So my thought was that if we are reinventing the wheel for our own purposes we should gather information about what bear makers might like as "rules", "guidelines," or "parameters," and then move from there; hence my request for input.

Thanks for yours!  It's appreciated...!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Here are a couple of books I don't have, but found, on ATC's.

http://www.stampington.com/html/artist_ … cards.html

http://www.franticstamper.com/atc.htm

My next job is to do some searches on eBay and using GOOGLE using Kelly's term, ACEO.

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Shelli, you are just bursting with fun ideas! This sounds very cool.  bear_thumb
I can see it growing into something really big. One card from every artist just won't be enough! Every time an artist comes out with a new card design... woohoo!  More trading!! :dance:

One more thing to add to my  list. ~sigh~  bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

OH MY GOSHHHHH !!Shelli...we use to trad playing cards when I was in Jr. high..girls would bring stacks of them to school and we'd site around lunch time and trade.The girls would have certain collections like horses. flowers etc...

Several years ago I saw a doll magazine that started to do this in sets ( I have a few) . I thought GREAT !....we could do this for teddy bears ( another one of my ideas that did not go anywhere, anyone else ?) ...But the doll magazine was selling them in sets...that put me off.

I absolutely love the idea of artist bear trading cards. made by artists , of THEIR bears would be soooo wonderful!
However...if this gets started ( and  it has ) I dont think for the public it will stay that way for long ...however, we artists can do whatever WE want in trading, let the public do what they will, we cant stop  them.

Hmmm, would that include photos of artists bears ? That would be nice from artists who don't draw or do digital art, etc...Id love to see a short About Me on the back ...then something about that particular bear. I wonder about copy rights??? liie...Hey I have one of Potbellys cards..would if I digitally copied it to trade ?( Mean thing to do ) Seeeeee.
OK..theres so much to cover here .....let the games begin !!!...Winney

Yes please Shelli - i've sent you a PM  bear_thumb

Penny  bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would like to make a trading card.. this is such a good idea!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY
Shelli wrote:

However, it was written that others believe digital art is just another medium, like stitched, pieced, inked, painted, felted, or pencilled art are their own mediums... and thus, equally viable and valuable for trading.

Just wanted to clarify that I most definitely support digital paintings as an art form.  My mother is both a traditional artist AND does digital paintings, so I certainly support both as valid artistic expression.  (Though she would probably want me to append that statement to clarify that her digital paintings are done 'from scratch' just like her traditional paintings.)

Let me play the artist's devil's advocate for a moment here... the feeling that I get from paying attention to the ACEO market for several years, is that photographs of our bears might not necessarily be considered 'art'.  Sort of like they might not call baseball cards or Pokemon cards art.  Of course, that may depend on who you ask as well
bear_tongue

OK, enough of the devil's advocacy thing.  It really is a cute idea.  What I said above doesn't make the idea of bear trading cards any less appealing, or any less likely to be a success, so why on earth not give it a whirl!  I would certainly support a movement to put our bears on cards and say that we were inspired by the art trading card or ACEO movements.

Actually, I think Teddy Trading Cards is a much cuter name anyway  bear_grin

Hugs,
Kelly

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh Kelly!  You just reminded me how "old" these are..... I have bought several "tobacco cards" off eBay that feature my dog breed... whippets!

I tell ya I can't WAIT to start collecting Teddy Trading Cards  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bearlyart wrote:

the feeling that I get from paying attention to the ACEO market for several years, is that photographs of our bears might not necessarily be considered 'art'.  Sort of like they might not call baseball cards of Pokemon cards art.

Oh, I agree with that wholeheartedly!  I think that for this to have lasting interest and merit it has to be more than just slapping a picture of our work onto a piece of paper.  We already have a venue for that... it's called A PHOTOGRAPH!!!  Laughing here...

No, I was thinking more like, well, this sounds awful, but... what I did!  Namely, if you're going to do a "flat" media card, make it something artistic, complicated, pieced, original, scrapbook-y, whatever. 

Even better though ... do what I hope to do next -- add an element that twists on a pretty brad or rivet.  Make a 2-layer, 3-D card using glue dots.  Put your bear photo onto fabric using gel transfer medium.  Then, use your sewing machine to actually stitch it to your cardstock using real thread (a famous scrapbooking trick.)  Add little charms or trinkets, or trim the card with tiny fringe.  Cut the top portion into a curve.  And so on.  My example was an experiment, and an effort to draw interest in the idea.  I think it could be something great in our industry if we get enough people on board and doing it.

But my thinking is that, if we're focusing on BEARS and the BEAR INDUSTRY in these cards, we should probably include, ya know, BEARS on them!!!  Otherwise, those of us wanting to trade pure "artform" type cards should probably just jump into the already-existing fray of ATC / ACEO's and not try to think of, or introduce, the idea as something "new" and fresh.... because it's not.

No, my idea was to build on and take the ATC / ACEO idea one step further, morphing it slightly into something specifically representing our industry... but equally viable on the ATC / ACEO market, hopefully, someday.  Think of it as art; something original, new, fresh.  A collage... physical or digital.  A composition.  Color, form, being important.  But be sure to include, as an element of that "art," a bear... and for copyright/ethical/legal reasons, one of our own, and not one of someone else's design or creation!

I think, Kelly, we're pretty much on the same page.  I don't know that I'd want to spend ten hours making a card just to trade it for what is essentially someone else's business card... but one that's prettier than usual.  That's definitely not the idea here.  Or, at least, it's not MY idea.

Thanks for defining!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

I know that as a collector... I'd love to collect cards from other bear artists that looked like many of the fancier avatars here on the board.  Not sure if that would "count" as a card or not... but I'd love em!  bear_wub

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Shelli,
    Loooove your new avatar!  Artist trading cards have been big in the  world of scrapbooking and collage for quite a while now.  Your card looks wonderful!  Lots to ponder, don't ya think.

Hugs,

Brenda

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Oooooh... Now I wan† to make cards... bear_laugh  bear_laugh Thanks Shelli ! :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Very pretty card Shelli and what a great idea, to collect Artist Trading Cards

bear_original

Yeah i agree - if we are gonna start making Beary Trading Cards they have got to be good quality, artistic representations of the work that we produce in our bears and can have just as much or as little individualistic finishing touch's in line with our favoured styles.

I'm up for it, shall we start a list of participants (is that how you spell participants? It looks odd with the word 'pants' in there don't you think? oh well.....).

This could be BIG girls and boys  :clap:

Penny  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Penny, since Nancy introduced me to the idea, on a different board, and since I'm the one introducing it here, thanks to her, I feel I should pass the opportunity to host a trading swap on to Nancy first and foremost, before we run with it at TT and call it our own.  If she's willing/interested, and/or if she has the time (she's a busy mom AND a constable in Canada, plus she runs her own fab website and makes bears.  Aargh!  I'm tired just imagining it!), I think maybe it should be hers to host/run, if we're doing it in an "official" and organized way.  I hate to step on toes and want to avoid that and give credit and honor where it's due.

Will get back to you all in a post on this, once I hear back from her....

That's fine with me Shelli - i don't care who runs the show - i just want to create dahlin  bear_laugh

Penny  bear_thumb

Board footer