Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I hear ya!  Have sent off an email to her... will let you know when I hear back.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I haven't had time to read the entire thread on this idea Shelli, but what I have read so far, I like! Count me in as a YES, I would love to do something like this. I can already see that I will be spending hours on the computer.. bearmaking brushed aside.. sigh. Has anyone figured out yet how we can add at least 4 more hours to the day?
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hi Sonya!  So glad to see you peeking and posting!  Check back here for more info; I'm waiting to hear from Nancy, who introduced me to the idea.  I think she should have first crack if someone is going to organize an "official" trading card community in the bear industry, since she originated the concept in and for me.

Glad to hear you're interested!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

This is a really awesome idea, Shelli! I think it could be a very good thing for business!  (I didn’t read the post fully so my first post didn’t make much sense! HA)  I am very interested to find out more!  Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Kelly's so right... search ACEO on eBay and you'll get this enormous quantity of quality art card listings:

http://search.ebay.com/aceo_W0QQfromZR8 … Z1QQfsopZ1

What I'm getting, after reading a lot of listing text and descriptions, is that ATC -- Artist Trading Cards -- must be the term reserved for cards are specifically sized (2.5 x 3.5) and meant for trading only...

... but that ACEO's (Artist Cards:  Editions & Originals), also sometimes called ATC2 (as in Artist Trading Cards: the 2nd generation) can vary in size -- tho many are 2.5 x 3.5 -- and are SOLD, not traded.

Both are wonderful ways to collect fabulous art on a budget.  Most on eBay seem to be original works, not prints... although some are prints or limited editions.

For our purposes, my personal preference would be to trade, and not sell.  But who knows where this might go?  Maybe someone will find a niche on eBay (hmmmm... ideas start to churn...) for ACEO's that feature teddies, and then *poof* -- extra income!

Kelly, does this sound about right?

Curiouser and curiouser...

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Hi there Shelli, you've been busy today with research!  ACEOs can be either sold or traded, there is an eBay group for ACEO artists and they conduct trades among themselves regularly.  With the collectors, of course, they need to first buy ACEOs to have anything available to trade.  But once they have a collection, collectors can trade amongst themselves as well as artists can trade with artists.  It really is a fun thing, it only gets more fun as more people get involved!

Cheers,
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Kelly, do you make and/or collect these cards, or is browsing them just a hobby for you?  You seem very knowledgeable; I'm glad you popped in to contribute your experience and wisdom.

???

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I remember when Nancy brought this up on another board. I thought it was such a neat idea. That was before realizing how artistic these cards could become if they are more than just a photo/avatar/banner like thing printed on the front. Now I think they'd be amazing and I can't wait to start collecting.

I must say, that in my opinion, if these cards are going to be works of art all in themselves that BUYING should be as much of an option as trading. Being focused on teddy bear shows as I seem to be with this show I'm producing.... I'm thinking that artists being able to sell their cards at shows could really start something with collectors and be an alternative to those who can't afford a bear. If artists are gong to take the time to make these artistic cards then I don't see anything wrong with selling them. It should be an individual decision.

Having said that, if an artist wanted to TRADE an ATC/ACEO/ATC2...R2D2...C3PO or whatever..  bear_laugh ... I'd happily TRADE, not sell.  bear_original

Can't wait to see where this leads.....   :dance:   :dance:

NY
Shelli wrote:

Kelly, do you make and/or collect these cards, or is browsing them just a hobby for you?  You seem very knowledgeable; I'm glad you popped in to contribute your experience and wisdom.

???

No, I'm no painter  bear_original   I have been keeping track of them though, I've been trying to convince my mother to paint some ACEOs for some time now, thought it would be fun for her.  So I did all the research and presented her with the information.  But I haven't been able to get her to stop doing bears long enough to try them yet.  Ha!  She's working right now on a 92-piece bear, mostly handsewn.  I don't think she'll have time for them anytime soon, at this rate.

bear_grin
Kelly

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Interesting topic Shelli!  I've seen and admired art cards on eBay for awhile.  Some are just amazing works!  There are so many artistic avenues in which to explore and expand bear artistry.  Paper, mixed media and altered art all come to mind.  I've even contemplated gathering a group of artists together to create a one-of-a-kind bear using various mediums with each artist really "coloring outside the lines".  If each artist were to start with, for instance, a body part or parts and then each add their own artistic style, vision, or whatever.  Can you imagine the amazing bear that might be created?  I've seen this done and a book written about it called The Art Doll Chronicles. 

I guess I sort of went OT, didn't I?   bear_whistle The art cards are a great idea.  I'm much more a tactile person though....not so much the computer wizard.  I think I'll go play around with this nifty little art card idea. 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

NY
Shelli wrote:

... but that ACEO's (Artist Cards:  Editions & Originals), also sometimes called ATC2 (as in Artist Trading Cards: the 2nd generation) can vary in size -- tho many are 2.5 x 3.5 --

Oh, missed this earlier.  They actually do have to be 2.5 x 3.5 as well.   It is, as they say, the "universal standard", it is noted that anything other than this side should NOT be called an ACEO.  If you have a chance, check out the eBay group "Art Cards Editions and Originals ACEO", you'll find a link to the group charter on the main page which gives more details.

I actually hadn't visited that group in a while, but just did.  A couple of other things to think about... they do like things to be archival, which I think only makes sense to keep in mind for teddy cards as well.  I would suggest some group concensus on recommended materials.

I suspect that in the case of teddy cards, copyright might just be the biggest issue to be dealt with.  For the ACEO group, they have apparently had quite a few brushes with copyright problems, Vero has actively been used to remove works from violators and they are trying very hard, as a group, to keep everybody honest.  That includes reporting each other to Vero, apparently.  Teddy cards would need to be kept to the same high standards.  They mention that collage pieces, which many times use 'found' images, are frequently a problem.  An enhanced bear image could count as a digital collage, which is why I'm mentioning this.  Basically, even if you find the world's greatest image somewhere and would REALLY like to incorporate in some way in your teddy card, you can't use it in whole, in part, original or altered.  Not at all.  Something else that would be pertinent to our uses would be that taking photographs of somebody else's bears would be an absolute no-no.  It doesn't matter if you bought the bear, you don't own the rights to its reproduction or likeness.  Collectors would need to be made aware of this in addition to bear artists.

(Good heavens, I should never post when I'm tired.  I just re-read this and I'm not even sure what I was trying to say in parts!)

Hugs,
Kelly

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Boo hoo - I want to do this, but I can't right now.  I hope it takes off, because I would love to be involved, playing with designs instead of packing stinky boxes YUCK!
                                                      Hugs,

Brenda

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Let us know, Shelli...where it goes from here.  If Nancy decides to put include it in her site...could y'all post it here.  I have been trying really hard to stay off the computer as much as I was and this is the only group I tend to check in on.

I, for one, would definitely want to swap ATC's...I think it would make for great memories some day.  I have not had the time to study Elements like I would really want to, so the digital thing is not in the stars for me....but I have some other ideas cooking already.

Just please keep us posted here at TT....would you ? Thx

Nanc.......

Aleta...the bear in your avatar is scrumptious !!  Since you are going to stay with an 'artsy' card...could you stick her on a card and swap with me?  bear_grin   bear_grin

nanc.....

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Hi Shelli,

As soon as you've heard from Nancy, count me in!!  I have always wanted to create ATCs.  I know that quilt artists and doll artists are making them.  They just showed some on Simply Quilts last week.  They look so fun to make! 

bear hugs,
Sheila

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Me again!  I forgot to add to my post that Quilting Arts magazine sent out a request for all quilt artists to create a ATC and then it was featured in their magazine.  It really would be fun to swap with bear friends!  Now my head is filling up with lots of ideas!

hugs,
Sheila

Sheila, I saw the same show on Simply quilts.  She was really overwhelmed but did a beautiful job in making all the cards she had to send back.
I think the current issue of ART DOLL has ATC's in it too.  I know I saw them in one of the doll magazines.

Nanc.....

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

OK how computer literate do you have to be to be able to do this?????????????
Hugs
Gail :redface:  :redface:  :redface:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

ZERO computer literacy required!!! 

I think I confused the bejeebers out of people when I posted my own digitally created trading card.  In fact, most of them are very much home spun, cut and pasted, bits and pieces creations.

I'll go grab some off the web and post them in a subsequent post, so you can see what I'm talking about.

My thinking was to gear it specifically to artist bears... meaning that, for any given card, you would either:

1.  Use an image (photographic, pen and ink, photocopied, rendering, whatever) of one of YOUR bears; or

2.  Use a royalty-free, no-copyright-infringement, image of a bear from a book, CD, or web source.

We do want to be careful not to steal copyrighted images.

Back in a few with some examples...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

polymerclayatcs.jpgFROM:  http://smokinonion.bravepages.com/polymerclayatcs.jpg

DETAILS:  This series of artist trading cards utilizes polymer clay and faux/dried (?) floral accents, with cardstock background, which looks like it's been overstamped in lime green.

No computer skills involved!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bca_card.jpgFROM:  http://baileysbliss.blogs.com/photos/atcs/bca_card.jpg

This one utilizes 3D "wings", cut paper images, and brads/rivets in a cut and paste collage format.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

card_0507.jpgFROM:  http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … l%26sa%3DN

These interesting cards use printed papers and a collage technique.  I particularly like the one with the added fringe!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

dscn0001jpg.jpgFROM:  http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … l%26sa%3DN

This one's made entirely of fabric and uses some wonderfully easy quilting techniques!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

forumArtcardsKarte.jpgFROM:  http://www.artist-trading-cards.ch/img/ … sKarte.jpg

A particularly whimsical trading card featuring images of little plastic animals, cut and pasted collage-style!

Also, via this link http://www.artist-trading-cards.ch/foru … Murray.htm you'll find a great little article on how, NO, you don't have to be an artist to create and trade artist trading cards.  You can see in the article that there are even ATC vending machines... and one guy shows how he keeps/displays his in a binder with plastic protector sheets.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Can't wait to run this idea by my bear club members next week!  :dance:   :dance:

Thanks for the pictures, Shelli!!!

Board footer