Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Chikky Posts: 2

Hello all!

I am as brand new as you can get to this. I've been skulking around for a few months now, enjoying all the wonderful projects, but I decided to join and ask for suggestions/ help.

The story: My grandpa (Pop) died this past fall. We all miss him very, very much. We had heard about a semi-local woman who does Memory Bears and contacted her. She agreed and said she'd do it, but, well, let's say it fell through. She just stopped responding to any contact attempts. My Gram is crushed because she so wanted a bear for him.

I decided, then, that I could do it. I wanted to learn to do it. Of course, I will practice first, but here's where I need help. The bear will be made with his old work shirts, which are a button down cotton material, light blue with small vertical stripes. I'd love to incorporate the logo also. All I need, is how to get started. How do I find a pattern that would fit that material?? Do I need to put another layer of fabric underneath his shirt to make it sturdier (it's older and light because of years of washing).

Any info would be perfect. I just want to surprise her (and the rest of my family) with this. I know it'll take time and practice, but I just need to know where to get started.

Thanks again!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Chikky,

I'm sure you'll get good help here, and the bear is going to be much more meaningful since it will be made by you.

For my part, I'll suggest that 1.) Yes, you should line the fabric with something. Some people use muslin and cut out the bear pieces in both fabrics, then baste each piece of muslin to its corresponding bear piece. I like a product called Sticky+ from Sulky, which is basically a peel and stick interfacing. I'm sure there are other techniques as well.

And 2) Look for a fuller bear pattern since you won't have the fullness of fur; for example, a pattern that's designed for a short or sparse mohair. That way, the bear won't look skinny when he's done. (You can find patterns on ebay or on the websites of suppliers such as Intercal (our site sponsor).

Let us know how it's going as you progress!

Becky

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Lisa Pay has a couple patterns for bears made out of fabric other than mohair.  They are good looking bears.  Her patterns have very detailed instructions with lots of photos and illustrations. 
Good luck with your bear!
Donna

Chikky Posts: 2

Thanks guys. I'll check everything out, and I'll definitely let you all know how it's going!!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

If you're using something like work shirts, try looking at fusible woven interfacing to line it, it's effectively another layer of woven material like the muslin Becky suggested, and being iron-on it saves a lot of basting  bear_happy   Make sure it is woven interfacing though and not the synthetic kind.

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

when i started ... i tried to make a bear out of some brown cotton fabric
i was sooo angry because it never looked like i thought it should.
so ... my suggestion ... make a few "normal" bears - fury ones bear_laugh to get the feeling
then try with fabric ... then you also know how much to shorten a muzzle or how big/small the legs and arms should be

Board footer