Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

BeeBears BeeBears
Guben
Website

This weekend Steiff collectors from around the world met in Giengen.
One of the highlights was the auction of Othello, the Titanic bear.
On the Teddybär Total Show in Munster in April, everybody could have a look at him.
Unfortunately I was to busy to meet him.

Othello was sold for 25.000 Euro thats around 30.800 USD....

But until now there are no informations who bought Othello...

Whould you ever pay a prize like this for the bear of your dream?
I thought thats a nice topic to start the discussions again   bear_original

Greeting from Germany,

Sabine

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Sabine,

A very nice topic to start with!  :thumbsup:

If I had lots of money to spare: YES, I would love to have such a valuable bear and I would much rather spend it on a bear than on a sportscar.  :D

However (and you will see that I have already given this a lof thought  :whistle:): if I had such a bear, what would I do with it?
Of course I would want it close to me in my home, but then I would start to worry about burglars when I was away: what if they broke in and stole my precious bear?  :o

So you see, I am actually quite glad I haven't got the money to buy him.  Just let me dream about him...  bear_happy

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I wonder who bought the bear?  If anyone finds out more I hope it will be posted.  I think that even though the economy in this world is suffering for many, there are still a lot of people out there with plenty of money.  I wish I were.  If I was and I wanted this badly I certainly would have gone for it.  I would keep the bear at home so I could enjoy his company.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I would buy him, too, if that much money was "extra" to me. (I imagine they paid a nice buyer's premium to the auction house as well.)

Peter mentions a sports car, but it's more like the price of an ordinary car - albeit a nice one. bear_original

I would also keep him in my house - probably right on my desk so I could see him while working (and give him pats on the head). I'm guessing that most burglars would not recognize an old teddy as being so valuable. bear_happy

Becky

BeeBears BeeBears
Guben
Website

I am not quite sure if I would buy him. Of course, he has an interesting and fascinating history - but he looks to new for such an old bear.
He probably spend most of his life in a safe environment- because he is worth a fortune.
But I like bears with character - which have been loved and played with.
Like my old bear from 1920. He has no single hair left and you can see that somebody realy liked him.
He was hidden in an antique shop,because the owner thought that he was to ugly to be sold.
Call it stupid, but I would not sell him for 25.000 Euro  bear_original

Well Peter,you really thought a lot about this topic.I would not spend that money either on a sports car- mmh probably
because I have no driving lisence  bear_grin

I am not sure if burglars really would leave the bear in its place, I would be worried about its safety...

Sometimes its better not to have a lot of money - One thing less to worry about bear_thumb

Sabine

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, it would be great to have an old bear with a history like Othello's!  But, if I had an extra $30,000 around the house, most likely it wouldn't go to buy a bear.  Too many things that are much higher up on my priority list.  Would be nice to know who bought him, though.

Board footer