Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Haitch Bears Posts: 2

I am currently re-commissioning an old fur coat and have nearly finished but I am struggling to attach the ears. I have tried a bladed straight needle but it is not long enough, a curved bladed needle and using an awl to make the whole first but I can't see due to the fur? Does anyone have an advice or suggestions please?

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi , Not sure if I can help but I have experience with real fur bear_original   I use mainly mink (the pelts are not really thick) and just use a sharp straight 1.5" needle, nothing special but my bears are small.  I don't like using glovers/leather needles personally.  But a thicker pelt might require that type.

Maybe it would be easier to see if you could trim some of the fur on the bottom of the ears where you are inserting the needle , and perhaps in the area where it is being attached . I always sew both sides of the ears... down the front and up around the back too with a ladder stitch not a whipstitch.  Just like you would use to close the other seam openings .  I find that easier as it is only going through one layer of fur on each side not the whole ear thickness. It also makes it more secure I find.   Does that make sense ?

Haitch Bears Posts: 2

Hi Tammy

That makes perfect sense  bear_original I'm going to try trimming it like you suggest. I have no idea what kind of fur it is unfortunately its a lovely ladies coat that is about 80 years old and its very thick!

H xxx

Board footer