Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Little Nan Posts: 233

Has anyone else had the problem of actually not being able to get the needle through the fabric  and stuffing whist embroidering the nose ?
I am on a bear at the moment using faux fur and my usual polyfil stuffing and I am struggling to get the needle through, in fact its virtually impossible !

Could I have overstuffed the nose maybe ? Can't actually work it out. I heard someone say its easier if you use woodwool, has anyone experienced this?

Think this one will be a noseless bear !!
Very grateful for any input at all !
Nan

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I used to have that problem when I did embroidered noses sometimes. You could try pulling the needle with your pliers. Just be very very very careful NOT to pull towards your body or face, or you might get hurt bear_cry bear_cry .
It has always worked fine with me.
Good luck!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes, use pliers, and stuffing with wood wool does make it easier.

Oh yes Francy I'm using the pliers , couldnt do without those ! Know what you mean about accidents though, very easily done !

Thank you for advice  bear_flower

Hi Pink ,
You know think that may be  the problem !
Just started the other side of  the nose and hey presto, its going through much easier and I can't see how but I must have been hitting the seam !
Can't see how that happened  ... inexperience showing !!!
Also the wax , definitely worth trying .

Grateful bear hugs x
Nan

Joanne, I think if wood wool makes it easier then it has to be worth a try... my fingers are sooo sore !
Many thanks
Nan bear_flower

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I use wood wool in the nose and that works very well....try a glovers needle...( for leather) ...they go through anything like butter. If you use a pair of pliers you will find it easier.

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Hi Nan

I have only made a couple of bears from faux fur and with one of them the fur was so thick that I had the same problem!

I ended up making a fimo clay nose for the bear instead, which rather suited him in the end   ;)

Hugs

Lisa x

Jenny thanks for yet more tips, a glovers needle will def be on my to get list and so will the wood wool !

Also Lisa, yes I have to say the fur was so dense it wasn't surprising that its so hard to work with sometimes !

Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Nan

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Nan...are you in the UK? If you are Peacock fibres have a free sample pack which contains a little of all their stuffings. There is just enough to do one or two noses in the teeny pack of woodwool in the free sample. If you send for it you can try before you buy. I bought the smallest box if woodwool from them 8 years ago and it's still going strong...even though I make  150+  bears a year. You need a tiny amount in the nose!!!

Jenny , yes I'm in the UK so I'll send for the sample from Peacocks thank you ! My fingers are so sore the wood wool has got to be worth a try !

Nan bear_thumb

Board footer