Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

LitWit Posts: 298

I recently received this book from paperbackswap.com, and I LOVE it! I had no idea that there were such enthusiastic bear collectors hiding in the woodwork! I mean, buying a seat for your bear on the bus?? I love my bears, but I hardly ever admit that I sleep with one, and I'd never dream of taking one out in public! The book is full of charming bear anecdotes, and now I'm on the hunt for more books by the fantastic Peter Bull. bear_original

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

Heh, were've you been? I thought that was required reading for bear lovers?  I have a first edition copy sitting in my "bear library" , complete with a pizza coupon from 1981 as a bookmark ;)

Oh, and coming back from conventions I've booked seats on airplanes for "lifesized' teddies before, but that was ancient history, not sure if I could do that in our new super-secure post 9-11 paranoia age.

Miser Miser Bears

I might give this book a go, looks good  bear_grin

Us Bears Pennsylvania

What?  You keep your Bears locked up in the house all the time?  Bear Jail!! bear_tongue

Okay, some of our Bears prefer to stay home but there are some who like to go out.
Pudge is probably our most adventurous Bear.  Here are a few pictures from Pudge's trip to New River Gorge:

6753020167_ce8057c767_m.jpg 6753020599_f05443beda_m.jpg 6753022277_1c3ac55d47_m.jpg

I probably had half a dozen people ask me what I was doing with a Teddy Bear on that trip.
I looked each of them straight in the face and said, "I'm taking a picture of my Teddy Bear."

Don't tell me you never took your Bear out for ice cream?

Isabella, the Bear, got to go out to Sunday brunch at a French cafe!
(One of the fanciest joints in town!  bear_cool )
Here is a picture if her having some Creme Bear-lee.

5877790652_95d4841f01_m.jpg

Oh, and coming back from conventions I've booked seats on airplanes for "lifesized' teddies before, but that was ancient history, not sure if I could do that in our new super-secure post 9-11 paranoia age.

No problem taking Bears on airplanes!  A lot of our Bears have been through airport security.  Melanie takes Bears on trips all the time.
They just have to go through X-ray.  The Bears will grimace a bit but they don't mind THAT much.   bear_wacko

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Oh yes, Peter Bull is ABSOLUTELY required reading for any teddy bear lover.  I am lucky to have found an autographed copy.  :teddybear:
As far as taking your bears out in public.
This photo was taken just a week ago, when I got back from a teddy bear show in Paris: on the Thalys train from Paris to Brussels (first class  bear_laugh - my bears like to travel in style)
1348500390_jeremy_and_browniex.jpg

LitWit Posts: 298

Awww, your pictures are fantastic, everyone! bear_original so much snuggly bear fur! Has anyone readA Hug of Bears, by Peter Bull? I might have to buy that one now.

Bears do love to travel, but not just on trips! My bears love to ride shotgun with me in the car, so I bought them a little red convertible because.....well, because they told me to ^.^

20120803_175654.jpg

20120803_175714.jpg

@Us Bears....Pudge is adorable! What company made him?

@Peterbear.....I'm envious that you have an autographed copy. I wish I could have met Peter Bull, he was a "true believer" long before it was socially acceptable for adults to love teddies (or at least admit they do). I love your sweet traveling companions....I wish everyone's kids were so well behaved on trains & planes!

@Litwit......why keep it a secret? Considering how insane the world has gotten, sleeping with a teddy shouldn't rate anyone worrying for your mental state-it's one of the saner things a person can do. My bears would be deeply insulted if I were to act embarrassed of my affections for them, they expect me to show as much pride for them as they have for me bear_original

Miser Miser Bears
BlackmoonBear wrote:

@Litwit......why keep it a secret? Considering how insane the world has gotten, sleeping with a teddy shouldn't rate anyone worrying for your mental state-it's one of the saner things a person can do. My bears would be deeply insulted if I were to act embarrassed of my affections for them, they expect me to show as much pride for them as they have for me :)

Guilty as charged for sleeping with a bear. or two. or three...?

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Bears in a red convertible!  :cool:
Could you imagine the look on a cop's face when he pulled that car over?!   bear_grin  bear_grin

Paris to Brussels, first class!  The only way to travel!  :D

Melanie went on a trip to Seattle to visit her aunt and she got Melanie an upgrade to first class on the plane.
Of course, a Bear always goes on these trips.  It was Muffy VanderBear.
So, Melanie got up to use the bathroom and, Muffy stayed in her seat.  When Melanie got back she found the flight attendant brought Muffy a package of cookies!   :)

P.S.  Pudge is a Gund Bear.  He also has a little brother.

I knew it....something about him was familiar. Is he one of the Kohl's bears they did? I've always passed them up on ebay, but maybe I need to get one- that pic of him sitting on the rail makes me want to just reach out and smother him with hugs ^.^

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Pudge was adopted at a local shop called "Hidden Treasures" which has since gone out of business.

I have several photos of Pudge that you can see on my Flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=7577383@N04&q=bear

Pudge would be happy to share a hug with you!  bear_original

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

@ blackmoonbear: Wow!  I'd better not show this to my hug, because they would certainly love to have a car like that!  :D
@ us bears: I love your B/W photos of Pudge and the little Steiff teddy  :thumbsup:
@ litwit: Peter Bull has written several books, but if I am not mistaken, some were published under different titles but with the same content.  I'd have to check the books in my "teddy bear" library, because I have several copies (just in case one got lost  :D)   (BTW, yes you can build a great library of teddy bear books, but you have to do some research to find them.  There are some excellent books for collectors as well, but many of them are hard to find.)

Paul Bronte Posts: 1

Peter Bull is what I always wanted to be as a teddy collector, but after getting some of his books I realized that I could never be like him, I succumbed to buying bears as the only way to get them. Imagine the thrill of being able to buy a part of his collection over twenty years ago - they were a group called "Fairly senior citizens" from his book called "A Hug of TEDDY BEARS". My favourite is definately Dolomite Daisy. Had to stop collecting sadly and joyfully, as I had two tackers of my own that I didn't buy but still paying??????

Board footer