Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

You know how sometimes the fur on your bear goes every which way no matter how carefully  you laid out your pattern pieces?  bear_ermm  Well, I posted this tip on my blog and I thought some of you might be interested in an easy way to make the fur on your bears lay in the direction you want it to.  Magic tape!

Here's a link to the post:
http://www.binglebears.com/2012/10/perh … alled.html

I hope you find it helpful!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

This was a technique people used in the 60s with fringes ( bangs) and kiss curls , napes etc instead of using clips. In fact I think you can still get the special pink tape for sticking to hair from salon suppliers.

I have on occasion used this type of method ...along with wetting the woke pile then blow drying it into place!
Great blog post!

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I've used this tape method as well, and I noticed in your blog you stated "gently".  I have found that if you tape too tight, it flattens the fur.  I like the blow dry method too.  However, I have found that simply wetting the fur, combing in place and allowing it to dry that way naturally will most time do the trick.  I only tape and blow dry on really tough fur!  I agree with Jenny, very nice blog post!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thanks for the post, Cheryl. I agree that the bear looks nicer afterward, and with all the tape on, he looks a bit like he's wearing a cute mummy Halloween costume! bear_original

Becky

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

I"m glad you all liked the post!  Thanks!   bear_original

Janesjollybears JanesJollyBears
Ft.Lauderdale

This is GREAT!!!! I'm new to bear making, thankyou soooo much for sharing the great tip!!!!!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Thank you for posting the tip. It was a wonderful tutorial on how to get the fur right.  bear_thumb

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

I'm SO glad that it was helpful to you, Jane and Michelle!  bear_original

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Hi Cheryl
Many thanks for posting this tip and tutorial. I have had this problem with my bears in the past, so I am very curious about the technique. Does it work by transferring a fine layer of glue to the fur - kind of like hair gel, for bears? Also, does the brand of tape used make a difference?
Thanks for your help,
Claire.

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

No, I just use water and tape--no glue involved.  I'd be afraid that glue would make the fur stiff and crunchy feeling.  As for tape, any clear cellophane tape will work.  I don't know if I would use tapes like masking tape or boxing tape because they might leave a residue on the fur.  But just the plain old clear tape that you used in grade school will do the trick!   bear_thumb

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Claire wrote:

Does it work by transferring a fine layer of glue to the fur - kind of like hair gel, for bears?

I think that Claire is wondering whether the glue from the tape itself gives the effect. In answer, I'd recommend only using a tape that's NOT really meant to stick to anything permanently. For example, in the US we have a blue-colored "painter's tape" that is not supposed to damage walls or woodwork when you remove it.

I've used this tape method myself (on smaller areas), and I agree with Cheryl that it does not leave a sticky glue on the fur. It's more like setting your hair: you wash it, and while it's still wet, you wrap it around a roller (or braid it, or somehow put it into the shape you want). Then when it's dry, the hair holds the shape. The tape works like the hair roller - it holds the damp fur in place until it dries. Then the fur stays where you want it.

Becky

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

bear_tongue Oh, of course that's what she meant!! bear_tongue  Thanks for clearing that up, Becky!

It's the water that does the work, so to speak.  The tape is just there, like Becky said, to hold it in place.

Sorry for the confusion!
Cheryl

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Thanks very much, Cheryl; I'll give that a go.  bear_original

Board footer