Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Nievesgirl Posts: 19

Are Teddy's and stuffed animal sewed by hand or machine ? I am thinking I will probably need to get my own machine. My mom has a old one but I would like to learn on a newer machine. I was on Amazon and saw the rave reviews on this model

Sewing machine

I got my glass eyes already and I can probably sculpt the feet and face soon but I am waiting for the 101 bears CD to arrive. I also have been anaylizing stuffed animals I have come across while shopping. I found a rug bear stuffed animal that seems to have the semi pattern I probably need. ( most likely I am going to make my own ) So its just a wait game atm

beartrande Bearlypink Bears
Website

It depends on personal preference, some bear artists completely handsew their bears, others completely by machine, or a combination!

So it's completely up to you. For that machine it does have some useful features such as speed control, but probably has more than you need with all the computerised functions and embroidery stitches (unless you are hoping to use them too).

Sewing by hand takes more time of course but can be quite relaxing. All you really need to be able to do is a simple backstitch.

For the mass-produced bears then they will have been made using machines.  You may well have seen stuffing machines in Build A Bear type shops but for your own bears, you can do that by hand. I don't know of any small non-commercial stuffing machines, more control if you do it yourself too.

Good luck!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I sew on a machine.  I just use a Singer Simple.  I do know many bear makers like very old Feather Weight Singers to sew on.  I don't know what your mom has, but to sew a teddy bear you only need to go forward and backward.  You may want to try out your mom's old machine.  If it will make nice tight tiny little stitches, then it is just the thing.

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

I use an old Singer Featherweight (actually I have two bear_grin ).  I also have an old Singer machine from the '60s that was my great-aunts with all sorts of gears to do all sorts of wild things.  But, for my bears, I only go forward and backwards with a straight stitch.  It's all I need and want.  We also have a new little Janome, but I was told by a local sewing repairer that he wouldn't use that much for sewing the bears because it's just not heavy-duty enough to withstand all the thicknesses and time sewing.  The old machines with all of their metal rather than plastic can do the job.  I would do as Joanne suggests and try out your Mom's older machine.

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

You really should stick to an older machine that has all-metal gears, as they can tolerate the strain of running think plush much better. You also ONLY need straight stitch for making teddies, so the less complicated the machine is, the better.

As has been mentioned, Singer Featherweights are very good, but pricey. you can find a very good vintage iron-bell machine in just about any antique shop for $100 give or take.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I own an old Singer machine, but I always hand sew. I find it more relaxing, and I have a better control of what I'm doing. Maybe it is because I'm not very skilled with the sewing machine, and I'm good with a needle!  bear_original It takes more time, but I'm happy with it. As often with teddy bear making, there really are no rules, but just what you are more comfortable with!

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

I also use an old singer 1959.  The new ones I bought before the old one kept breaking,  timing etc. after only 2 months.  Fur is a little rough on the new machines I think.  I do 3/4 sewing machine and the rest I do by hand.   bear_grin

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

If it will go under the presser foot I machine it.. I have a Janome and it's great. It only goes back and forth. I also have a very fancy Husqvarna which does everything bar take the dog for a walk and it's the worst thing I have every wasted money on. I will be selling it as its a computerised machine that  is very plasticky and doesn't like the mohair..older machines were built to last!
I like  sewing by hand too...it's quite relaxing...but when I need to get on I sew using the machine.

my moms machine is not old like all metal its plastic also ... and it need repair and new petal ( some where in storage too) its best if I just buy my own. I will see if I can find a simple machine. I will be hand sewing just the feet and head but if I can use machine to sew the body that will be great.  Thanks for the replies. Now I will see what machine I find

I just saw youtube on straight stitch looks pretty easy. I will get some needles and thread and test it out bear_original I love this forum you ladies have excellent advice  bear_wub

Miser Miser Bears

I sew completely by hand, because i dont have the money to actually buy a sewing machine. It does take quite a while to sew up, but even if I use the same pattern for multiple bears, the faces always look a bit different.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

That looks like the machine I sewed most of my bears on, and that I still have as my back up machine - I only upgraded because I also make bags and quilts, and it didn't have a big enough throat for bigger items.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I hand sew small bears that won't fit on a machine, but I prefer the sewing machine.  I killed a very fancy, very expensive Phaff sewing machine.  I bought a Brother to replace it.  It was also an embroidery machine and made more for quilting and dress making.  I bought it mainly because it was on sale and cheaper than most of the others.  Wasn't sturdy enough for thick fur, so I gave it to my daughter after a year or so.  I bought another Brother and I like it just fine.  It has built in stitches, but no embroidery and I spent a bit more for it.  I also sew  muslin dolls, quilts and occasionally clothes and I love to make curtains. 

Good luck and I can't wait to see some pics!!!!

I went to Michaels and got some thread, needles and faux felt sheets. My mom showed me how to do a straight stitch and how to back stitch for added strength. Its pretty easy but lets see if I can stand to sew the whole doll by hand. Here is another question see the picture I added this will be what I will be going for. I will have head and feet polymer clay and have a base that has holes that the fabric will be sewed too.

doll sculpture not my art

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Nievesgirl wrote:

Here is another question

Wonderful sculpting! I can't find your question, however.

Becky

dangerbears wrote:
Nievesgirl wrote:

Here is another question

Wonderful sculpting! I can't find your question, however.

Becky

Sorry I just realized I didn't post the question , sometimes my mind is running faster than my fingers can type  bear_wacko

My question is see the picture and how the polymer parts have holes ? what kind of stitch should I use ? is a straight stitch fine to sew on the faux fur ?

zosime Posts: 16

I also hand sew my creations even though I have a sewing machine.
The second question you ask what kind of stitch should you use? you could use a over stitch to attach the head to the faux fur body like you would use for stitching over raw edge.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
zosime wrote:

you could use a over stitch to attach the head to the faux fur body

That makes sense. You would sew the right side (furry side) of the fabric to the top side of the little ledge, right?

Interesting project!

Becky

Board footer