Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I know I need to line the real fur...right?
Can I just use the muslin I have?
Is there anything else I need to know about working with real fur
before I go to whacking on this piece?   LOL

My mom gave me an old mink collar and I was thinking about using it on my new
babys face  bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't see why you couldn't use muslin you already have, Tami.  I did on my mink bear AND even used a little glue (sssshhh, don't tell) to hold it in place!!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Sorry Tami, i've never worked with real fur - but i do have some of my grandmas furs

I tell you what, real fur is fabulous! But i can't bear to cut up my old furs cos i still wear them.

I'm not popular when i go out to the yearly dinner parties (read winter here) but i am warm

I love the furs i have been given but they take a lot of looking after - if anyone would like to know how to care for real fur please email me cos i've got a lot of knowledge that might not be given out generally.

Penny  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Glover needles, and a leather thimble might help you also bear_original  I also use glue sticks to keep the muslin in place bear_original

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Tami,
Muslin is a good choice for the lining of your bear.  Use a school glue stick to hold the lining in place until you have it sewn.  Choose a pattern that has good full ankles, wrists etc.  You have a hard time turning parts that are small!  Leave your opening for turning, stuffing much larger than you do on your mohair bears.  You need the extra space to get things turned.   If you are a rock hard stuffer, lighten up on the stuffing for a fur.  Use a slightly larger eye than you normally use.  Stitching the nose can be hard on the hands.  I make a pre-stuffed nose out of wool felt and stitch that to the bear.  Then I do my satin stitch through the felt rather than the leather.  Be sure to use the scotch tape around the nose to keep the fur out of your stitching.
Tighten your joints down really well.  The fur will let them move freely once it is packed down.  Some people do the joint and then let it sit for several days then tighten down again.  Take it slow and easy and it should be as enjoyable as mohair.  I do use a leather needle if it is a stiff leather.  I also use a leather conditioner on the leather to help give it a little more suppleness.  Look for worn spots before you cut and mark the leather if you need to avoid spots.   When you are cutting there will be fur everywhere.  Try your best not to cut the fur (some people use a razor blade rather than scissors).  After cutting all the pieces you will want to shake or vacumn the pieces to get rid of the cut fur.  Be careful if you use the vacumn!  I'm sure I will think of something more after you get the bear finished!
Donna

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

If you dont want to use leather conditioner I have found SMALL amounts of glycerine to be good. It goes a long way.  After doing that I let the fur sit for an hour and then line it.... I use muslin or similar weight material.
So you don't lose your bits when vacuuming them I pop an old stocking over the end. Then I vacumm the stocking.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow, Donna! Great tips! Almost makes me want to try real fur again.... but not quite!  bear_tongue
I would suggest using alligator clips instead of pins to pin pieces together. I'd never known about alligator clips while I was using real fur but they would have saved me lots of time and agony and pins whose heads popped off! I used leather needles for hand stitching and in my machine. Oh, stitich width if machine sewing... not too small! Every time your needle pierces the pelt it's like perforating it... the closer together the perforations the easier it will be for the skin to rip. I think that's all I have to add.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Good job Daphne,
I knew there was stuff I was forgetting!  Very important to lengthen those stitches!
Donna

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Thanks for all the great info!
I am going to use the mink for part of the face and ears and whatever
else I can squeeze in. LOL  The piece is not very big!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Also Tami, I would use hair cutting scissors as they have serrated blades and grab the fur when trimming.  Regular scissors tend to slip.

Best of luck with your fur!

Board footer