Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

wmhung.jpgradioflyer.jpgty-steps.jpghansa.jpgband.jpgGreetings from a white world. The city that never sleeps was at least resting today, due to the storm. We got at least a foot of snow—I heard as much as 17”. Traffic was at a standstill this morning, which meant it was a real challenge to get to the show. Kellie, Lori (the Doll Reader ad manager), and I gamely joined the line for the shuttle bus, but when we realized that it wrapped 3/4 of the way around the Marriott and wasn’t moving at all, we changed tactics. We walked to the nearest subway station, took the subway about 10 blocks, then trudged the rest of the way to the convention center. All the women at the show were sporting “smoky” eye make-up and “tousled” hair, not really by choice. At least exchanging stories of “how we got to Javits” made good ice-breakers at our meetings all day!

I’m glad to report that, despite the weather, the show was busy. Those who were here for the blizzard three years ago were (pleasantly) surprised at the number of attendees present and buying. We’ll know more later in the show, but it seemed to be a good first day.

Bad news: Unfortunately, the Broadway Bears auction was postponed due to the snow. I’m afraid we’re all disappointed on that count!

New York atmosphere:
- It cost me $10.50 to have a salad and water for lunch.
- Kellie and I went to dinner in a church that has been converted to a pizza place. I forgot the camera, which is too bad: the ceiling has an amazing dome with stained glass.
- When we took the subway, we only needed one token each, but had to buy two. Each.

Atmosphere photos:
- Strange dancing vegetables (?) that greeted us at the door to Javits.
- William Hung from “American Idol,” who for an unknown reason was performing during the show.
- Lifesize Teddy Ruxpin.
- TY paints the steps with an ad every year.
- Hansa has a fabulous display of animals. This is only part of it. Note Kellie in the back left, providing some size perspective.
- Gigantic Radio Flyer wagon (see the people underneath?).

First appointment tomorrow is at the North American Bear Company workshop to see what Miss Muffy VanderBear will be up to for the year. Tomorrow night, we’re meeting the Wilsons and McKays to learn about the new show in Maryland.

Until tomorrow...
Mindy

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

The Manmoth is Huge! I love him. The polar bear in the bottom left is animated. Really cool!
Maybe William was there advertising a new kids karaoke machine?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Just amazing.  I knew the show was big but this is BIG.  I mean... William Hung???

Laughing here.

Mindy, I am enjoying your sense of humor, and the little peek we're getting into who you are, as much as or more than your news from Toy Fair.  I love your dry, lighthearted wit.

Maybe you can save the extra subway tokens for next year...?

bear_tongue  bear_original  bear_tongue

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Is William Hung as bad as Simon said he was??  Terrific photos!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked WOW!!!  I'm just overwhelmed by the display with the Mammoth.... oooh, and the teddy bear painting! and the giant Radio Flyer  bear_shocked   I'm so glad you were there to snapt the pics...I'd be walking around with my jaw hanging open  bear_smile

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_shocked Just . . . WOW

Eileen

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

What a huge Monmouth !!! outstanding works !!  :clap:
who is the monsters !? so cute !!!!!  bear_wub

They painted a bear in stares ? it's just amazing amazing !!

Thanks for the pics , Mindy.
Marie

Board footer