Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

muffy-barbara.jpgSo, you know how New York has world-famous restaurants and all sorts of cuisine? You can’t prove it by Kellie and me today. For breakfast, we had free bagels and coffee in the press center. For lunch, we had free cookies and diet Coke from the Folkmanis hospitality room. And right now, I’m munching a roll leftover from dinner night before last. Fortunately, we’ve got a great dinner planned (Italian with the Wilsons and McKays). I’d kill for a vegetable right now!

What did we do that kept us so busy we couldn’t eat? We started the day in the toy district at North American Bear Company’s workshop. Then we took the bus to Javits to celebrate anniversaries with Douglas Cuddle Company (50 years) and Folkmanis Puppets (30 years). [TY is celebrating their 20th anniversary, too.] We chatted with some artists and retailers, learned how Hansa makes their amazing, lifelike animals, checked out some new bear-related activity books for kids, got the skinny on the new Maryland show this fall, then headed back here to collapse for a bit before dinner.

At NABCO, Barbara Isenberg shared the Muffy line with us, including the new “Iris” bear that’s pictured in the March/April issue of TBF. We learned that the line of Muffy minis—plush, not mohair—will be expanding in a “Muffy of the Month” line, most of which are new designs. These $10 items are aimed at kids, not collectors, though I’m sure that more than one will find their ways into collectors’ hands. On the collector end, in addition to NABCO’s Couture line, Steiff is doing another Muffy—Barbara said that partnership has been successful for both companies—but the prototype is with Steiff, not NABCO, so we will see it tomorrow. She mentioned a travel trunk and outfits representing the countries where Muffy is sold. Of course, we also petted the super-soft plush baby toys and hugged the squishy bears. Little kids today have it good!

- Barbara Isenberg with Muffy “Iris”.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Aaaaaacccckkk . . hope you get to eat some real food SOON, Mindy!  Thanks for keeping us up to date on the bear industry's cutting edge!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh boy Mindy , you sound so busy !

Thanks for writing post and the pics !!!  bear_wub
Please eat little more for you  !  :pray:

Hugs/Marie

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked Oh my!  Don't faint from low blood sugar out there!  bear_shocked   I'm amazed at how much you're able to cover...I'd be wimping and looking for a cozy nook to cuddle with a bear for a nap  bear_happy

I'm truly glad Muffy's continued.  I remember being stunned when they mentioned discontinuing her, but I think the collectors have persueded them to do otherwise  bear_grin

And its so nice (if a bit shocking over the TY's 20th!) to see the anniversaries  bear_thumb

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Sounds like a busy and exciting time.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

What a fantastic but exhausting time you have experienced Mindy. Please be sure have your meals and take care of yourself. Really good reports Mindy, thank you!

Hugs Jane  bear_flower

Board footer