Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

folkmanis-judy.jpgdouglas-srpcs.jpgdouglas-horses.jpgfolkmanis-dragons.jpgdouglas-dogs.jpgAs I mentioned, both Douglas and Folkmanis are celebrating anniversaries this year. Representatives for both companies mentioned their pride in simply lasting so long—really an achievement in this business. Douglas had some of their early pieces on display, alongside modern designs. Their dogs are the company hallmark, but their Sassy Pet Sacks, cold-weather animals, undersea creatures, horses, and fantasy creatures have all taken off. Good people, good company, good stuff. Expect more on Douglas in our July/August issue.

- New dogs from Douglas: German shorthaired pointer, basset hound, and beagle.
- New dragons: Topaz, Ruby, and Jade.
- Douglas’s new poseable horses. Must-haves for your granddaughters—and any of you who, like me, loved horses when you were a tween!
- A few of Douglas’s “senior” creations, along with a new horse.

At Folkmanis, we got to see company founder Judy Folkmanis’s first actual puppet—a turtle, which she received a patent for. The Folkmanis company history is a great story. Judy made puppets in her living room and sold them on the street in Berkeley, CA. She went from home versions of the Muppets to the turtle to a realistic beaver, which inspired the now 30-year-old line of realistic animal puppets. I forgot to take pictures of the newest puppets, a peacock and a harbor seal, but I’ll try to remember to snap them tomorrow. The peacock is especially cool. Company rep Elaine Kolias reiterated some of the info in the Mar/Apr issue about the Brer Rabbit series, string pull puppets, and Sierra Club line. She also told me that Disney is releasing “Song of the South” on DVD, which is totally cool and exciting. Great music, great stories. (It’s one of my husband’s favorites, and I bought him the videotape from England, but have yet to transfer it to DVD so we can watch the thing!) Folkmanis did a lot of research on the Uncle Remus stories before doing the current puppets, and came to the conclusion that the stories have been misunderstood and misrepresented in recent times. They’re hoping the puppets, which are often sold at bookstores, will stimulate an interest in those stories and other classic literature. Perhaps Disney has come to the same conclusion?

A bit of sheer gossip: Elaine mentioned that Pixar has built their new facility across the street from Folkmanis. Isn’t that neat?

- Judy Folkmanis with the turtle that started it all.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow . . . what a great story, Folkmanis!  Zippedy Doo Da, Zippedy A . . . My oh my, what a wonderful day!!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thanks Mindy

I first heard about Folkmanis in TB&F so how fitting that I should hear and update from you too.  Can't wait to see the peacock.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Thank you Mindy !

What a great story of Folkmanis.  bear_flower
I'm so exiting to see all your post .  :hug:

Marie

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:dance:  :dance: Its about time they released "Song of the South"!!!!!  :dance:  :dance:  I've been to Laura House in Louisiana where the Brer Rabbit tales were told and first set down.  I've always been amazed and dismayed that they were misrepresented and skewed....so I'm thrilled that Judy of Folkmanis is on a mission to set them straight  :dance:

Thank you so much for the picture and write up on Judi.....I don't think I ever knew the story, and its thrilling that her home business has thrived  :clap:

As for the Douglas line...ooooh, I want to get my hands on those puppies, ponies and dragon babies  bear_wub

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

So cool to hear the Folkmanis story.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Very interesting report. I love the dogs, so cute.

Hugs Jane  bear_flower

Board footer