Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Yesterday I shared a picture of a display in the Hansa booth, with a life-sized wooly mammoth. Today we learned that not only has FAO Schwarz bought the mammoth, but an NBA player just bought an 18’ bull giraffe (which we’re told fits nicely into a 20’ shipping carton) and Kirstie Ally collects Hansa. The pieces are sold in 21 countries, and the U.S. is finally about to get them on a noticeable scale. The company controls their growth to match production, but they’re finally ready to tackle the U.S. Kellie and I met the company founder and owner, Hans Axthelm, and head designer Hennie Navaratte. (Their new US rep is someone old-timers will recognize: TBF founder Gary Ruddell!) They told us that Hansa has more than 4,000 pieces in the line, and plan to introduce about 100 new ones each year. They spend a phenomenal amount on research and development, including creating their own plush furs, to make their realistic animals. They put real animal fur into a spectrometer to figure out what colors it actually is, then reconstruct in via computer to make plush to match. They work with zoos around the world, and bodies such as the Smithsonian Institute. Mr. Axthelm hinted that they are working on a huge project in Europe—he mentioned the E.U.—but told me he can’t give me details for another few months. (There’s no better way to whet a journalist’s appetite than to drop hints then say, “Details to come”!) He also showed me members of their new teddy bear line, which look more like real bears than most teddies and are very cute. I was so interested in listening to him talk that I forgot to snap pix, but I’ll swing by for some tomorrow. I will also have more in the magazine very soon.

Well, that’s all for now. Tomorrow, we visit Gund and Bearington, plus spend about half the day with Steiff. I’m sure there will be a lot to report!

Cheers,
Mindy

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

By the way, we also saw more singing and dancing Elvis bears today. Preferred Plush has a complete line, including singing, dancing hound dogs. It's quite the thing this year. I guess I'm old-fashioned, though--I prefer my bears quiet and cuddly instead!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Wow, Mindy!  What a day!!  No wonder you had little time to eat.  I do hope you find a vegetable soon.   bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, the Hansa project sounds veeeerrrryyy interesting!  They surely go to a lot of trouble to duplicate real fur in plush . . . good for them!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

life-sized wooly mammoth !? wao !!   bear_grin
I better check the pics of Hansa booth.  bear_laugh

Hugs/Marie

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_happy  I'm just sat here imagining the NBA player hugging his 18' giraffe!!!  bear_happy

It sure is interesting to hear about the Hansa people, and especially the great lengths they go to to create plush animals.   :clap:   I'm looking forward to seeing more of their critters in the future...

Deb Upstate New York
MKinsey/TBF wrote:

I guess I'm old-fashioned, though--I prefer my bears quiet and cuddly instead!

Me too Mindy.  Thanks for Hansa briefing.  Very interesting.

Board footer