Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Little Nan Posts: 233

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to avoid getting knotted cotton when sewing by hand ?
I sew the head by hand , I think I have more control that way , but I realise its just a personal thing , but I do have a problem with knots and its just so time consuming trying to get them out ! I use Gutterman thread but have been thinking of maybe trying upholstery thread as long as it was fine enough ... so has anyone got any experience with using this please ?
Nan  bear_rolleyes

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Nan, I also sew by hand with Gütermann. What I have learned when doing my embroidery class years ago is that you have to let your needle dangle, hanging from the thread, so that it turns on itself. You do it from time to time, so that your thread doesn't knot. It helps a lot. I hope the explanation is clear...I'm afraid I haven't explained it that well... bear_sad

Hi Francy ,
Yes that makes complete sense ! Will give it a go thank you !
Nan  bear_wub

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

A tip I also learned is not to cut your piece of thread from the bobbin until it is threaded through the needle.  That way you thread the cotton from the correct end and it doesn't twist or not.  Hope that makes sense!   bear_wacko

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Wow, this seems a very useful tip! I never heard of it, will give it a try! bear_flower

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

I get the same thing in both sewing my bears and in cross stitch, i find that un-twisting the thread like Fran said helps and also it does it far less, or not at all, if you use shorter bits of thread, the longer the thread the more likely it is to get an annoying knot.

Coraleen , you know it's simple things like that , that make sense but you never think about .
Thank you  bear_wub

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

I hand sew my mini bears with NYLBOND and LOVE it.  It is thin, strong and rarely knots. And the times it does knot, it is so easy to slip the knot out. It comes in many colors.

Thanks Berta I'll have a look at that !  bear_wub

Jenbee , yes I keep telling myself to do that but I always seem to end up with a mile long piece of thread anyway !
bear_grin

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hi I use a little bit of Tacum Powder on tips of fingers and slide cotton through it works well
hope that helps at least you can try all the tips given to you
Hava greast day Paula

Thank you Paula , I've certainly never heard of that one , but yes certainly worth a try !  bear_wub

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I understand your issue with knotting thread when hand stitching your bears. I too use Gutterman 100% polyester thread. The cotton thead knotted on me all the time. Also, many years ago, I use to drag the thread across bees wax. That worked well too. The key is to use polyester threat though.

Board footer