Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

hockey5-2-2.jpghockey9-3.jpgI have been babysitting my two year old grandson since last Saturday, and will have him until Monday (and I'm supposed to be packing!)  He is two going on twelve and I can't keep up.  Anyway, we have two cats and he WILL NOT leave the nasty one alone (old kitty is smart enough to hide) even though the nasty one has bitten him twice already.  I've tried a stern "no", time outs, re-directing with craft activities and even resorted to a pat on the behind (which didn't even phase him) but this child has a death wish.  The poor cat was sprawled on our counter top (which he is not normally allowed to do) for safety and Corson would run up to him and put his hands on the cupboard and slowly creep up until the cat smacked him and theh he would shreik with laughter.  He's figured out  pretty quick that the cat has no front claws. Short of duct taping him to the crib, anyone have any wonderful suggestions?  I think he is just bored as the weather is terrible and we usually spend time outside as he is a hockey nut.  He can manoever a puck like you wouldn't believe.  Man, I would like my sanity to remain in tact for the next 4 days.  The funny part is, my husband is a gigantic tease, and even though our kids didn't get that in their personality, Corson definitely got it! 

Hugs,

Brenda

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I'd go with the duct tape idea Brenda!  bear_laugh   bear_grin 

Sorry i'm useless with kids  bear_rolleyes

GOOD LUCK - i'm thinking of you!

Penny  bear_wub

Yep, Penny, the duct tape is clearly at the top of my list - god, kids are sooooo different from when ours were little.  They seem light years ahead of what they were 30 years ago!

Hugs,

Brenda

Yes, i'm not looking forward to when my grandson gets to the terrible two's stage.

We'll probably just emigrate until he's 18  :dance:

Penny  bear_tongue   bear_laugh

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Brenda!!!! Oh my!  That's certainly a little stinker you have on your hands!  An oh so cute one though!!!!!! Now, you would think that I would have a few words of advice since I have three "insane" children myself.... but honestly, I think you've done all the tried and true methods... the time out, the bottom smack, the Lets Go Do Something Else, and kitty certainly has tried to defend him/herself as best as possible.... !!!!  My fingers are crossed for both you and kitty that the novelty of the tease the meowser games will wear off very SOON!

And once more... what a cutie little Corson is!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm sorry...  I'm laughing so hard I can't be of assistance...  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_tongue

He does sound like a handful.

I admit, I'm with everyone else; I love the duct tape idea.  Wish I'd have thought of that, some years back, with my own terrorists.

He's probably too young for this -- it's rather abstract -- but what about some kind of empathy exercise?  "Corson, how would you feel if you were jittery, and then someone kept creeping up on you and poking fingers at you suddenly and saying, "Boo!" ???

Maybe even DO that to him.

???

At two he'll have a limited ability to understand this level of abstraction.  But it does sound like the one thing you havne't yet tried.

Also, does he like to color or draw?  Maybe you could have him draw a picture of the kitty, while watching it from across the room.  That way, kid and kit can "interact," but at a safe distance.

???

PS  My kids don't listen to a word I say, little stinkers, so this is probably entirely useless advice.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Brenda,

I am the owner of a two year old, myself...  She is much the same, always pushing the limits.  What I do is watch her like a hawk. Probably some would say this is not the thing to do, but hey everyone raises their kids differently.  I will actually put her in the situation, and watch her like a hawk, though she doesn't realize it.  Then, as soon as she is going for it, I say "NO" grab her, and move her.  I'll do that over and over til she gets the point.  It's quicker to just put her in the situation and nip it in the bud, rather than sit around waiting for the time to arise.....

Not sure if I helped, but that's what I do!

Kimberly W.

Shelli, any advice at this time will save my sanity - just thinking I have something new to try calms my nerves LOL!  I'll try the picture idea - he doesn't have much empathy for anyone other than himself which is also like this Grampa!!! (Just kidding)!  I've never watched the clock as much in my life - anywhere under an hour till his nap time or bedtime and I get absolutely giddy!  I'm just not used to a really "tough" boy - our son was artistic and loved stuffed toys and puppets and books - this boy asks for the "mote" and then hands it to me and says "hockey pease"!   Somebody save me!!!

Hugs,

Brenda

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oh, yeah, and I forgot... I always say (example), "NO, we don't touch the kitty."  Repetition and consistency is key.

Hi Kimberly,
     My niece did that with her son.  They adopted a brother and sister at age two and four.  The little boy is much like Corson - extremely active but also very tactile - ha had to touch everything.  She spent the first few weeks cleaning up his messes, before she quickly realized that she had get ahead of him and cut him off before he made the mess.  Corson's not too bad for messes or things, he is just absolutely defiant when it comes to doing something he wants to do, like taunting a kitty! 

Hugs,

Brenda

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

There is a reason why I would rather teach that age goup than have any of my own! bear_wacko   They can go home!!!!!  I'm sorry wiothout knowing the child I am of no use!!! :hug:   He sounds like the Tazmanian Devil too me.  If you can bottle the energy you'd make millions.

ScottBear scott's bears

What are your child labor laws in the UK ? Use the duck tape on his bottom and put them li"l hands to work Pre making your screws and nuts for your joints !!! LOL
BearHugs
Scott

Deb Upstate New York

Geeeeeeez ... I had you figured for 30 years old Brenda.  You're not a Gramma!

What are your child labor laws in the UK ? Use the duck tape on his bottom and put them li"l hands to work Pre making your screws and nuts for your joints !!! LOL

You are a man after my own heart Scott - wish i'd thought of that when the kids were younger  bear_thumb

Penny  :dance:

Scott, I'm in Canada not the U.K. but I'm sure that they both have laws prohibiting child elimination (just kidding!)
My goodnes Deb, you made my day, sweetie - I am definitely a Nanny (as I am called) and although most days I would not trade my age of 56, after 7 days on my own with Corson I feel more like 76!  I thought I would get a few bears made when he napped and after he went to bed - well, I'm napping whenever he's napping and haven't made it past 10:00 p.m any night this week.  He's up between 6-6:30 a.m.  Television only holds his attention for a few minutes at a time and it's go, go, go the rest of the day!  Isn't there an old expression that says mother nature makes sure the really bad ones are REALLY cute, so they will survive LOL!

Hugs,

Brenda

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Brenda..... :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Hudson, Ohio

Kids-Close.jpg

thumperantiques wrote:

Ishn't there an old expression that says mother nature makes sure the really bad ones are REALLY cute, so they will survive LOL!

Brenda... I would have to say that theory is absolutely TRUE!!!!!  My two youngest are pretty cute.... now, what does that say about their behavior... PLENTY!  And I wonder why I only get two bears done per month...  :doh:  :wacko:

My oldest is almost 13... and a real cutie too.. in a skater/thrasher/rock star kinda way.....still sweet as can be thank God!   

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Corson-3.jpgCorson-2.jpgKim, your kids are gorgeous and yes, that probably means what I think it does - they must have their moments.  Corson has two modes - really, really sweet and really, really bad - here are his before and after pics!  I think someone mentioned Tazmanian Devi! 

Hugs,

Brenda

Hudson, Ohio

Oh My GOSH!!!!! That second photo is just ridiculously cute!  What a devilish little heartbreaker he is!!!!  :twisted:  bear_wub   Just think though.... how quiet your house will be in a couple more days.  My Mom always says that she ages a few years when she takes my kids for an overnight, then she sleeps for a whole day... calls me the next morning saying that she has child withdrawl symptoms and misses them!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Brenda I know you mentioned diet in my other post and I have an 11 year old who reacted very badly to certain foods.We found the worst to be pop and especially anything with red dye. She could come home and I would say,you had something red and she would say no way,I didn't!! Then when I asked further I discovered she has actaully had something "pink"  :doh:  I know,she was right,it wasn't red but pink was just as bad. Worth a thought anyway. :hug:   :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Brenda,

I like the duct tape idea!  I have no advice to give since I'm not a parent yet, but it sounds like you have your hands full.

Corsonthumper-2.jpgCorsonkitty-2.jpgHi Shari,
    Thanks for the info.  I gave him a PC Mini chefs ravioli for lunch, but its the Presidents choice Blue Menu kiddies one, with no preservatives or colouring.  I'm beginning to wonder if it was the canned pears (in light syrup, which I drained).  It may be nothing more than a reaction to sugar, as he gets almost none.  They really watch his sugar intake.  He has eczema, which I know often means food allergies. 
     My old cat, Bear, now has an eye infection, which is chronic and comes from stress, so I'm giving him drops.  Thumper, the orange nasty one is following Corson all over the house, I think to keep an eye on him LOL!  He insisted in being in the bathroom when Corson had his bath and is now growling at him - I didn't know cats could growl!   I hid around the corner at supper time, to see if Corson would taunt Thumper again and got these two pictures - I hope we all make it till Monday.

Hugs,

Brenda

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh Brenda .... The look on dear little Corson's face is just delightful and he looks full of life.
What a sweet liitle guy and I just want to wish you the strength and patience to get through
the babysitting ordeal.
Also that Bear and Thumper will endure his tormenting.
Good luck and Monday will soon come around!

Kim, your children are gorgeous.

They grow up so quickly so enjoy every moment.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Carolyn, I don't think "delightful" is the word the cats would use to describe Corson! LOL!!   

Hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Those pictures are absolutely hysterical.  He reminds me of my son, Noah, whom I love dearly, and who has always been just the most enormous handful of child.

Thanks for making me smile first thing today!

Board footer