Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi Everyone,
                  I am currently make a bear that desperately needs eye sockets, she had a very pointed nose and I've been told "it looks like a Womble" bear_angry
I've tried to do eye sockets but because her head is so firmly stuffed nothing's happening and the thread is breaking, how do you do it? Am I going to have to take some stuffing out?
ANY help welcome.  bear_original

teeeej Brisbane

What sort of thread are you using? You need a nice strong thread for sculpting so it won't break. You can always restuff the head, making sure not to stuff it it so firmly.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Try using whipping twine...it's a strong waxed thread used for sewing sails.....it's very strong...then pull using a wooden spoon or a stick for tension.....if its very very hard though you might need to take a bit out ..

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

You might also use waxed dental floss, it is quite strong and easy to find! bear_original

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

Perhaps try artifical sinew also - it's what I use and I've never had it break.  It also grabs better because it's waxed - probably has the same qualities as whipping twine.  If the head is so hard that you can't press the eye sockets in with your hands though I think you might need to take some stuffing out.  I'm sometimes worried I'm just on the verge of pulling holes in my fabric!

Also thought I should point out that if possible, take your sculpting stitches so they go over a seam to give it a bit of extra strength and avoid pulling holes straight through your backing fabric.  If it really is stuffed hard then I'm scared for you that it could end up disasterous!  (and if you're anything like me you never have enough fur leftover for a new head since mohair is so damn expensive in AU)

The artificial sinew I have is flat like the link above, and you can separate the strands out so it goes even further.  I can use a quarter width of a piece of sinew and it's still incredibly strong.  I got mine from the US on ebay ages ago, the rolls last for ages!

Thanks everyone,
I have taken some stuffing out and that has made it a bit easier to sculpt some eye sockets, going from eye to eye rather than through the back of the head worked out better because of the thread breakage.
I have tried beading thread and upholstery thread but maybe I'll have to get some sinew, can I buy it anywhere other than teddy bear supplies though?

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

Sure can, mine was from ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30-artificia … 712wt_1163

But I see that some of the results are coming up under "archery supplies" as a category.  I don't know of any around my area but maybe an archery or outdoor sports store would stock it if you don't want to buy online?  Maybe even camping or disposals stores.  Hobby shops also...?  Ooh and I bet saddleries would have it too.

Thank you Erin, I will try, fingers crossed for me. bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Leather shops and dealers sell artificial sinew.

Board footer