Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Teddy Bear Menagerie Teddy Bear Menagerie

Hello

Recently, I purchased some eyes online. I did not know til they came today, that they were in fact safety eyes. Is there still a way I can use these with mohair? I notice as well they are plastic, so my original thought of snapping the back and cooking a wire into it with clay is just not possible bear_sad

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

You can certainly use them with mohair. Jut use your awl to make a hole without breaking any threads in the backing fabric. Then work the plastic stem into and through the hole.

(My problem with safety eyes is that you insert them before you stuff the head, so it can be a bit of a surprise where they'll be on the face when you're finished.)

Becky

thank you again for always answering. I think you are my most useful teddy bear question answerer!

i'll give it my best shot!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

bear_original I'm glad I can help! (Your next trick will be sliding those eye-backs into place. I remember setting the eye on a low table and using my weight to press down on the eye-back with some cardboard pieces so as not to destroy my thumbs!)

Becky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

What I have done with plastic eyes is that I heat up a needle on the gas stove till its red hot and then holding it tightly with a pair of pliers make a hole in the stem of the eye...then you can attached the threads through the hole just like you do with normal glass eyes.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Must say that the method Jenny uses for safety eyes works well.  I have done this myself a time or two when I did not have the correct size glass eyes.  Just be careful not to burn yourself!  I have also had my husband drill a very small hole in them.  Whatever method you use, good luck!!!!

Thank you all for answering. I hadn't thought of that method as well.!!! thanks again

Board footer