Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

Happy 4th of July everyone! bear_original I have a question about dyeing mohair with Cushings Dye.  I have read through the library here on dyeing and I haven't found an answer to whether or not it will dye the backing and not just the mohair itself?  I tried 4 batches last weekend (sooo much fun by the way) but the backing of the mohair only retained a tint and wasn't dyed by the Cushings.  I followed the instructions on the packet and added the vinegar as directed.  Am I doing something wrong?  Also, will salt soften the colors like it does with KoolAid?  I'm a little disappointed to think that I purchased over 20 packets of Cushings when I should have just tried regular old RIT. :rolleyes:
Any help is appreciated!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

My experience is that the Cushings Dye does NOT dye the cotton backing.   Sorry you did not get the effect you wanted.  Could you try painting the backing with the dye on the backside of the fabric without getting it so wet that it would soak through to the fiber and see if that helps even up the backing to match the pile on the front?
I am having the problem with Rit now that they only make a limited colors and you have to mix it now to get the colors you want. 
But isn't the experimenting fun!
Donna

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

It is soooo much fun to experiment!  I was thinking the same thing about the Rit not having enough colors to choose from that is why I went with the Cushing's to begin with.  I did get some tan backed mohair specifically because I like the effect of the different color mohair with a tan backing so I will use the Cushings for that.  I am pleased with the colors I ended up with I was just sort of surprised that the backing didn't dye too.  You never know until you try I guess.  Donna, do you use the liquid RIT or the powdered RIT?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

True, Cushing's or other "acid dyes" will color protein-based fibers, so wool, mohair, silk, and (I've heard) feathers. They won't color the cotton backing fabric, as you've found out. (The same goes for Kool-Aid)

Still, I love the rich colors of the Cushing's dyes, and I've heard that you can use salt to soften the colors, but I've never tried it.

Becky

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I use both.  Partly because if they don't have what I am looking for in one I am not patient enough to wait for the store to get it in.  The liquid is easier to use because it does not require mixing and you need to use twice as much of the powder to get the concentration as the liquid.  Rit has a website that has lots of information and a color mixing chart.  I feel I have better consistent results with the Cushings if the backing is not an issue for me.  So when it really matters I use the Cushings and when I am just playing around and don't care what I end up with the Rit is what I grab.

Board footer