Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

HI ALL,  bear_original

I was just checking out our Kimmy's lovely little needle felted clown bear and noticed something........

So many people all said the same thing - "I don't normally like clown bears"  bear_shocked

Sooooo, i was wondering

Why don't people like clown bears? Why do people hate clowns? What is wrong with clowns?

Personally i adore clown bears and don't have much of an opinion on clowns in general apart from that one in Steven Kings novel 'IT' - now THAT was a freaky clown!

Penny  :bday:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I AM FREAKED OUT BY CLOWNS! I guess it goes back to childhood... I was pretty much freaked by any creature with their face covered, like Santa Clause... LOL

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I like clown bears a lot.  One of them won the Large/Dressed category for the Golden Teddies not long ago... I think in 2004.  Maybe by Marsha Friesen?  Be right back...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Centenarian-Group.JPGGTA_Fortissimo_small.jpgAyup.  In 2004. 

“Fortissimo” by Marsha Friesen.  First picture, above.

Pretty, no???

Check out Victoria Dickenson's gorgeous clowns too:  www.simplyvictoriabruinbeings.com 
Two of her clowns, second photo, above.

You'll be a convert in no time!!!

bear44.jpgYes, i love em Shelli - but so many people don't.

That's why i posted the topic i suppose - to find out what it is exactly that people don't like. I made a few french clown bears and they seemed to sell well but not as well as other bears.

There must be some deep psycological reason that clowns scare people like our Kimmy so much.

Penny

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Clown bears get a thumbs up from me!!!!!  I like costumes on bears in general because it reminds me of when I used to play dress up with my own stuffed animals... trade the clothes back and forth or put doll clothes on them and pretend they were my babies!

Those are some lovely photos!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

sebastian.jpgclown7.JPGCHEV4.JPGHere's what i made. I don't think they are scary at all.

ANYONE ELSE MADE CLOWN BEARS???

Let us take a peek pleeese then we can have a 'heated debate' about how scary/not scary they are.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Penny, you made that (polka dotted bear)?  And those ruff-necked fellas, above?

I'm not surprised; you're terribly talented.  I AM surprised, tho, that you said your clowns didn't sell well.

What an interesting thing to hear this about our little smiley friends.  Hmmm...

I also like Wanda Shope's really incredible, face-painted-looking, clown bears.  Pic to follow...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

showimage.aspx.jpgThese are Wanda Shope clowns, which you can find for purchase and viewing at The Toy Shoppe...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … l%26sa%3DN

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

AAAHH attack of the clown bears!  :D

All the bears are lovely... I guess it is people clowns that freak me out.... I am not sure why... I can't explain it...

Densteds Densteds
Website

Copy-of-jeremy-102-Small.jpgBernardo-2.jpgI just adore clown bears, Victoria Dickonson's are fabulous, but I know when I listed a couple of mine there wasn't a lot of interest...

hugs
Denise.

WOW Denise - that bear is fabulous!
I know what you mean though when you say there was'nt a lot of interest. I liked mine and they did sell eventually for my asking price, but they did'nt fly.

s.t.r.a.n.g.e  :wacko:

SHELLI - the first pic i posted is of an old Stieff bear - not mine i'm afraid - but i thought he was so gorgeous i wanted to show him off.

Densteds Densteds
Website

yeah they just don't seem to draw the same amount of interest, but I seem to be drawn to them....maybe in a past life..roll up! roll up! the circus is in town!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin

Thanks Penny!! I love your fellows too...

hugs,
Denise.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh my gosh!! look at all these beautiful clowns!!! I love clowns as they bring me back to my wee little Girly years!!! I would love a clown for a friend!! Any Takers!!!

many Hugs Louise

Well, my hubs is a bit of a clown - cracking jokes, falling over (drunk obviously), driving a car with bits dropping off as he's driving along and his boots always seem too big if you know what i mean?

You can have him if you like Louise  bear_laugh

Penny  bear_wub

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

All of the clown bears posted here are really great, but I'm with Kimmy on this one. It's the people clowns. I'm not scared of them now but I was as a kid. I remember once when I was little we went to McDonald's and they had a real live Ronald McDonald there. He was in the playground with the kids. Eeeek! I cried when my mom put me on the bench next to him.

Oh actually I don't like that black and white clown (whats it called? it has a diamond costume and black hat) , but I have a reason, in my performing arts theater there was a huge tile mosaic picture of one and it was really odd looking, plus my lecturer was a bit strange too so I associate the two together.

I think you mean Pierrot or Harlequin Mel. I love the black and white costume but yes, it is a bit spooky - but i am more spooked by the mental impression i'm getting of your lecturer! Now Lecturers ARE spooky!
bear_laugh   bear_shocked

Penny

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a wonderful topic - all great Clown Bears and thanks for sharing.
I really like Clown Bears - I think the brightness of the costuming and they convey happy times.
I remember going to see the Ashton circus as a small girl and the clowns had me mesmerized -
their oversized shoes and big baggy pants. They were so funny also and had everyone laughing.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_wacko  bear_whistle

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

th_Picture3675.jpgI really like clown bears and clown pandas. I have made a few, I'll try to get them on here.

Penny its the face of the Harlequin clown that I dont like, its always sad, as if its ready to attack and kill

HA HA HA HA HA AHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH - Mel that's a really scary thought!!!!

I'd never looked at it that way before 'Sad, so therefore i Kill' what a scary scenario  bear_cry

Penny  bear_shocked

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You clown-loathers will love this interesting website...

CLOWNZ.com...
... beware the grease-painted ones

http://www.clownz.com/stories2.html

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I love them!!
Gives a good excuse to get crazy with a ton of color! LOL

SHELLI - that site is MARVELLOUS!!!!!

Here's a quote folks............

Right now I have the shakes from reading others' tales of clown phobia. As my husband knows, I have my own fears concerning clowns, ventriloquist dummies, open closets and such. When I was pregnant with my first child, I warned all friends and family that any gift featuring clowns would be immediately tossed in the garbage, no exceptions. I have to physically leave the room when commercials with that incredibly evil-looking clown hawking Play Station on t.v. are being aired. I'm an educated adult with irrational fears. I know this, but I can't help it if they remind me of knife-wielding child molesters hiding in your closet ... waiting for the lights to go out ... waiting for you to close your eyes ... waiting for you to fall asleep. It's nice to know that I'm not alone ... yet I'll still check my closet before I go to bed tonight.

ha ha ha ah ahahahaaah

and that is just one of the many many wonderful clown experiences

Thank You Shelli - i am laughing so much here - maybe i'm a clown deep down  :bday:  :twisted:  bear_laugh

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Penny, just send him to Box 25, Site 38, R.R.99
Tofield, Ab Canada And I will send Garnet off to the UK. Your hubby sounds like a lot more fun!!!

Many Hugs Louise

P.S. Parcel post air uninsured is fine, I am sure he will get here!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bearsbybeesley wrote:

Penny, just send him to Box 25, Site 38, R.R.99
Tofield, Ab Canada And I will send Garnet off to the UK. Your hubby sounds like a lot more fun!!!

Many Hugs Louise

P.S. Parcel post air uninsured is fine, I am sure he will get here!

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Ah, Louise, but can he make bears like Garnet????

Board footer