Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ok, you asked for it....

Here is the first prototype.
Name: Mimzy I
Stats:  Almost 14" tall + ears
          German Synthetic
          5 way jointed
          Hand-dyed wool paw pads (I just could not spend the time to do them right so this will do for the prototype.)
          Glass eyes, accented with bits of the fur used for the inset.
          Soft stuffed with plastic pellets and folyfil for slouchiness, as requested

Artist Note: This was really stretching out of my natural abilities. Looks nothing like the illustration! This is the one I've agonized over and stayed up so late for night after night! The eyes for one were SO hard for me as I only use black eyes, small and set close together. The paw pads were intimidating and the shape of the head they wanted I couldn't quite achieve. I have like 15 bunny heads rolling around my studio!! I'm going to make one more on my own, when I'm not under pressure as I think I could do better! Am going to try a shorter pile. Hind sight is always 20/20! Oh, and I forgot to put the whiskers on this one! Thought of it as I drove home from the shipping store! Oops!

Mimzy1edit.jpg     bun1frontsm.jpg

And the second prototype.
Name: Mimzy II
Stats:  13 1/2" tall + ears
           Shaggy Plush Felt
           5 way jointed with plastic joints
           Glass eyes
           Shading around eyes and white shading on feet, belly and face done with oil paint.
               (I think it looks like it's had it's nose in a jar of marshmallow fluff but it's not as dramatic in real life!)
           Stuffed with plastic pellets in feet only, rest is fiberfill.

Artist Note: This one is almost identical to the illustration they sent. Complete with desired belly button which I embroidered. Though I didn't think I'd like this one, it only took 2 days and was pretty easy... no insets, fur to trim, pads to stitch, etc. In person the head is shaped more like the illustration.

Mimzy5edit.jpg     bun5frontsm.jpg

Now, do either one look like a 'she' bunny? The illustrations didn't look very girly at all. But then I suppose that in reality you can't tell male and female bunnies by looking them in the face. They also don't have bright pink pads that stand out like a sore thumb or huge blue eyes so go figure!!

I'm tired so am still a bit testy, I'm sorry. I really am glad they are done and feel I did the best I could do under the time crunch, troubles getting fur, constant changes by the production co. and the challenge of making them look like someone else's computer generated drawings!

Now to hold my breath and wait for a response! They should have them by the end of the day Thursday (tomorrow). I'm not sure if making them or waiting to hear the director's opinion is more nerve-wracking!!

Your comments and suggestions are of course welcome! If you have suggestions for improvements please do share. They'll choose one, likely have changes for me to make and then I'll be making more so your advice is appreciated!

I'm off to have a LOOONG night's sleep!

:hug: Daphne & The Mimzys

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Daph they are absolutely awesome!!! Way to go girl!!

Many Hugs Louise

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Daphne...

I love them both for very different reasons.  You did a marvelous job.  I can only imagine how hard it must have been to take someone elses drawings and make them 3 dimensional soft sculptures.  You should be very proud of yourself...truly an artist.

Congratulations Girlfriend...

Shantell

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think they're really terrific, Daphne.  And actually I really love the second one, because it's so unusual, and that blanket stitching is fab.  I keep meaning to learn how to do that...

You've worked so hard; a good backpat is due.  Or backRUB.  Where's that husband of yours...???

Be really proud; you've earned it.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

They are both lovely and all the rabbits I had, had bright pink tootsies if there paws were white.
Love them  you are very talented.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Daphne they are FABulous!!!   :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wowza, Daphne . . . super great work on both Mimzys!  You definitely deserve a rest after all of that stress!  They are both adorable and I would certainly have a hard time deciding between the two . . . of course, I'm not the director.  So let us know which one they choose.  I know when I designed a bear for the Franklin Mint, I ended up having to make 5 prototypes before I FINALLY got what they wanted.  Hooray for you!!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sue Ann: FIVE???!!!  :doh:   :doh:   :doh:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Daphne, you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is fantsatic, what an achievement. I am so proud of you! I love them both, but the first is my fav.

What a wonderful thing to have under your belt!
  :hug:
Danni

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

wow Daphne - both bunnies are amazing. 

Hope you have a restful sleep - you so deserve it!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne !!!!!
I'm super shock !!!!!!!
I thought I'm going to falling off from
my chair !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  bear_wacko
How how how how could you make such
lovely bunny !!!!!!!!!!!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

This is only my opinion ..
I think MinzyⅡ is 100% same as the
drawing !!! per per perfect !!!!!  bear_laugh
I can't imaging how hard that was to create the bunny from the drawing.  bear_cry

MinzyⅠis only 90% same as drawing  bear_shocked
because your Minzy is MORE adorable
than drawing.  bear_laugh  Please don't get me wrong.
The drawing is cutest  and
your bunny is MORE cute. How could you
do that ???  :clap:

I'm so happy for you Daphne !!  :hug:
PS. now. can you take a rest ?
Hugs/Marie

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Daphne, they are both absolutely wonderful - I don't think I could choose.  You have captured the essence of the prototypes beautifully in both of them. The top one has an expression that is to die for, with that cute little floppy ear.  The second one just screams for a child to cuddle it - I think it might be the one a small child would go for.  I wonder if they will show them to any children - I think that's what I would do, if I were the director.   I can't wait to hear what they think.  Go get a good nights sleep and lay in till noon - you really deserve it.   Congratulations on a job well done!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

They are both wonderful - you have done a marvelous job.  You should be very proud of yourself. Well done!  :clap:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh Daphne!  They're wonderful!!  Not that my pea pickin opinion counts in the big scheme of things but, I would definitely go see a movie with either of them in it.   bear_wub

You should be so proud!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Absolutely Perfect Daphne! I think you did wonderful with what you had to work with! Way to go girl!
Sonya

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Daphne they are great you have done an awesome job on both bunnies........ Well done girllllllllll .......

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I love, love, love them both... bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

You did a fantastic job Daphne. It's not easy to copy someone else's idea (at least, I find that sore of thing very hard myself) so this shows how super-skilled you are. And they are just adorable, too!

Well, I defy the film people not to have a hard time choosing between them....  ;)

Just have to add this.... my 5-yr-old daughter walked in and saw your bunnies, and went all gooey. She loves them too, and declares them both to be girls!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Daphne, well done, I love them both.  Your have done a superb job with them, now go and take a break.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

You were after some suggestions, don't know if you have access to alpaca furs, but I think the first one would come up really great if you tried it out.  Otherwise its perfect the way it is.  Also to make them girls, I think girls have bigger eyes than boys. Also to have pink accents around the nose and mouth and the paws are the key.

Again, you have done very well, we are proud of you.  :clap:  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Both absolutely lovely...I do like the first one best though...fantastic job on both, I'd say!!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Both are beautiful bunnys.  bear_wub  Both Mimzys are so cute. You have captured the drawing so well in your bunny. Big congratulations Daphne and who knows where this all could lead to.

Hugs Jane  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OOOOHHH I love mimzy II Especially! Love the swirly belly button!! WOW Daphne!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Both buns are amazing!!!  You've done a fantastic job of capturing the drawing for both  bear_thumb   There's no way I could chose between the two...I'd be latched on with one tucked under each arm  bear_wub   I guess the first one is more realistic, but the second looks like an older, more homemade type toy....so it will be up to the director to decide which 'feel' he's going for for the movie.  It won't be a reflection on your buns...they're both PERFECT  bear_wub

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Daphne, you should be really pleased with yourself! I think both bunnies are outstanding. I think Mimzy II turned out really close to illustration and I can invision a small child cuddling with that one...but I love, love, love Mimzy I. I love her paws...so cute. And I can see her coming to "life" more than the other one. I'm rooting for her to be chosen. I can't wait to hear what they've decided.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I can see the first one being treasured  by an older child  but the second one I can see being dragged around by a younger child and being loved! bear_wub  They are both fantastic.

Marion

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ok, I feel a bit better about them this morning! I went to bed last night feeling like a doubting Tom!! I also realized I forgot the embroidered toe threads on Mimzy I! Too late now!

Brenda: Yes, they are going to present both bunnies to a group of children. I'm thinking it'll be the second one also. I like the first one as it's a little more 'artsy' instead of folk art like the second. And I like furry! But the second one will be so much easier to reproduce 10more times!

Karen: They insisted upon synthetic but I sent some perfect alpaca samples as I agree that would be the best choice!

Helena: Should I be making a bunny for our swap?

Marie: You are so sweet!

Everyone..... Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments!!!  :hug:

No breaks for me.... cleaning today, company all day tomorrow then I have orders backed up that I've get to get going on!!! Oh, and the dogs desparately need baths!!! A woman's work is never done!

:hug:
Daphne

Board footer