Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

dellyb Personally For You
West Yorkshire

Hi there

I am just trying to get better eye set and am looking at lids and colouring.  I am just wondering what type of cording most people use please?  I needle felt my bears over a base so have had a go at felting lids, but I think I would like to try the cording method too to see what I prefer.  Also what type of glue would you then use if you wanted to secure with glue after the lids have been threaded through the head?

Also, could anyone please tell me the best type of pen markers would be good to shade the nose edges and around the eyes?   I don't think I am up to the air brushing as yet as I think I will only need fine markings.

Thank you

oops edited to ask, where in the UK could I buy the cording etc I will need if not standard.... thanks

Elli Posts: 102

Hi dellyb!
I like to use normal leather cords for big eyes or thick thread for small ones and white glue to fix them.

For shading I use copic markers since that is the only brand available here, but I'm very pleased with them. You can find a lot of infos about that in the library: http://www.teddy-talk.com/misc.php?page=44880

West Yorkshire

Thanks for your reply Elli. Do you use a round cord then ? What diameter? I'm going to order some to try out.
Adele

Elli Posts: 102

Yes, round cords, the same that are used for pendants, they should be available in any arts and crafts shop.
The diameter depends on the size of the bear/eye and how thick you want the lid to be.

I have used 2mm for big eyes and 1mm for medium ones. I think there are even finer leather cords, but I couldn't find one in the shop, so I use a waxed cord for smaller eyes and a thick waxed thread (the same I use to attach eyes) for the smallest ones.

I hope this was understandable.  bear_original

West Yorkshire

Many thanks Elli that's great :-)

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Prisma pens are good for shading along with Copic markers. As for eyelid cording, you can go to your local craft store and find cording for jewelry making. They come in various sizes. As for glue, regular Elmers glue works for me.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

There is some great posts on eye cording and colour use in the Library or you might find it better to use the search function it takes a few goes sometimes to find the answer to your question but I have discovered a load of other great stuff that I didn't even know I needed to know along the way! Just remember to tick the 'tips & techniques' box to narrow down your search.
michelle

karenaus Melbourne
Website

If you only want fine markings then you'd be far better with an airbrush than a Marker bear_happy a proper airbrush, not the Copic attachment. For the marker pens you will probably want to invest in the blender pen as well, to blend out your shading. Methylated Spirits works too.

Board footer