Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

000_0590a.jpg000_0589a.jpgSeveral months ago I posted a quilt block I was working on for a friend whose father passed away and she asked me to make a memory quilt out of his "aloha shirts."  I piddle and pooped around and finally finished it yesterday.  I hate it!!!  I hope she loves it because she asked me if there was enough fabric to make a second one....I of course said "well sure sweetie...for you, I'd love to." 

You can't really tell in the photo but each "shirt" has the original buttons from her dad's shirt as well as collars and 1/2 of them have pockets.  This was a nightmare for several reasons. 

AUGH!!!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Shantell.... OH MY!  What an absolutely wonderful tribute to your friend's dad!  I think that it's FANTASTIC!  I'm sure that required a TON of work.... all completely worth it.... I am sure that your friend will cherish it forever! 

Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

WOW!!  I didn't know you quilted, Shantell!!  What a huge amount of work!!  Collars, pockets and buttons too?!!  You are a true friend.   bear_wub

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

OMG! Shantell, your friend is going to LOVE it! Wow, it's really fantastic. I've piddled with quilting so I know you've put in a lot of time and hard work on this quilt. You should be very proud, it's wonderful!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks...it's actually going to be given to her mom who doesn't know about it...thus the reason for wanting a second one for herself.  She's absolutely one of my dearest friends who has been incredibly encouraging and supportive when I was making some huge life changes a couple years ago. 

I don't really hate it.  MY quilts tend to be either BRIGHT and funky...or soft and romantic.  This just wasn't my style from the get go plus other factors that made it difficult to work with.  She'll love it or I'll kick her butt clear back to Hawaii where she's from.   bear_grin

Aleta...yes, I LOVE to quilt but it's become difficult because of my vision problems with contrast etc., so I don't do it very much anymore unless I get asked or get some wild whim.   I love applique both hand and machine, scrappy quilts, etc.  It's downright therapy for me.   I've been asked to display my quilts locally, etc. which has been fun but I turned down the last request because I had nothing NEW. 

Hugs,
Shantell

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I'm sure you won't be kicking any butt - it's a lovely quilt!!
Marion

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Shantell, I know just how hard it is to work on something that is just not "you" but you have done a wonderful job with this quilt and should give yourself a big pat on the back.  And you are a very good friend to agree to do another one. 

It looks beautiful and will be much loved I am sure.  I love the extra details you have added - it's super!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I know exactly how you feel if its not 'your style' but trust me, the quilt came out BEAUTIFUL.  I'm sure her mom is gonna be in love with it.  What a wonderful tribute to her dad...and what a great friend you are to make this for her  :hug:

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

It's beautiful Shantell and it's purpose for being and your willingness to make it even though it was a struggle , make it even more so. The whole thing really touches my heart  bear_wub  The world needs more true friends like you!!  :hug:  :hug:

Willamette Valley Oregon

I guess I won't be doing any butt kicking... bear_grin

My friend just sent me this email....(I sent her the same photos).  Now I'm going to go pour myself a cup of tea and have a good cry. 

You sweety...thank you!

And, I just looked at the quilt.  Oh my gosh, I can't wait to get it in
person!!!  I am going to display it in my office and show it off to
everyone!!!  I love it Shan.  Thank you so much.  You are such a
talented and gifted person...TAG!!!!

I know what you mean though.  I can see why YOU are not satisfied with
it.  It may not be YOUR colors but my mother will love it because those
are her colors and it is so sentimental for her!  She will want to
travel with that quilt where ever she travels so she can sleep with it.
Oh my, I just can't wait to give it to her.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  Love ya, love ya, love ya...

Angie

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Shantell what a wonderful gift ........ and it makes it all worth while when you get a reply like that .......

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

You did a wonderful job, that is a lovely idea!
She will cherish it!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

It is lovely and the thought behind is marvelous.  Your friend knows this and will treasure it even more.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Wonderful gift! I'm sure your friend will charish it!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ah, Shantell . . . you are such a wonderful friend and the quilt is beyond fantastic.  What a loving gesture for your friend and I'm sure her mother will treasure it forever!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantal,

how wonderfully your quilt came out!  It is beautiful.  It is wonderful. I love it!  What a wonderful tribute for your friends father.....its also good to make sure we don't loose those quilting skills too.....You made such a fantabulous quilt

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

dilu

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww Shantell it is beautiful!  And what a nice note that your friend sent you about it bear_original

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Shantell! It is absolutely stunning my dear! Bless your heart!!!

Many Hugs louise

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell, you did an amazing job. I remember you posting about it a while ago.
I'm always amazed how stippling can bring a quilt alive. It's the only kind of quilting I can do because I can't sew in straight lines. You should see my version of stitch in the ditch! It looks like a drunk man walking in and out of the ditch!

Anyway, as many others here, I can fully sympathize with the dificulty, challenge and never real love for something you've made that isn't YOU! But you did indeed do a wonderful job and all the attention to details... those collars and buttons and pockets.... WOW!!!

Thank you for letting us see the finished quilt.

I have a huge box full of quilt tops I made... could I send them to you to finish for me???  bear_laugh   bear_laugh

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Shantell what a wonderful job you have made of the quilt and what a special
friend you are to make this. All the work and time - wow.
Your Friend and her Mother will be so happy to have such a wonderful quilt.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Wow, Shantell! What a wonderful gesture and the quilt turned out beautifully. What a lot of work! Whew!
Like others have said, I also know what it is like to work on something that really isn't 'you.'  It take real effort and perserverence to follow through and finish. I totally admire you for doing this for you friend's Mom and then agreeing to do another one! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Thanks for sharing.

Board footer