Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi, I just found out that I've got to have further tests following a mammogram I had 3 weeks ago. I can't tell you how scared I am!!! Presumably something was picked up on the X-ray, although the letter from the hospital doesn't say anything about that. But why else would they call me back? Anyway, the appointment is Thursday and I'm going to need some luck, because I've been through all this before (4 years ago) when thankfully I was given the all clear. This time is scarier.

There's a history of breast cancer in the family which is why I'm being monitored. I know some of you will have been through similar situations and will know how I feel....  hope you don't mind me spilling out this on here. I just need a hug!!!!!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

:hug:  I have not had to go through this but my mum had something similar happen. There is no history in our familly and she went for regular checkups and got called back. She had some breast tissue removed, its quite common. Its kind of a precaution as the cells could many years later turn to cancer. She felt very lucky that things could be sorted before they could get serious.

My sister in law had breast cancer and had it sorted straight away, The North Staffs has one of the most fantastic Breast clinics in the country, are you going there or one near to you? My mum said they were fantastic and explained all the options. I'm sure there will be some on here that have had the same thing happen, you are lucky to be monitored and if it is not good news, you stand a better than ever chance of coming through it.

Stay positive, easy for me to say I know, but I hope others will be able help. Hang in there! :hug: Amanda.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Helena hugs abound here.  They are free and available anytime. Take care and try to remain positive.

:hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Dear Helena,
No one can take your fears away, having friends on hand thou, will help and bring positive feelings into your life, which makes things just that little better to cope with and handle.

my thoughts are with you.
Lynette

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Helena, i will cross my fingers for you!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Thanks everyone, I'm trying to stay calm and keep positive. Amanda, this is the Nightingale Centre in Manchester and so far they haven't impressed me too much (even sent me a letter with the appointment date missing!!!). Will keep what you've said in mind.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Helena I am so sorry :hug:   I can really relate to your fears since my mum is still going through the breast cancer process...please stay positive and I hope that everything will be okay for you....Please keep writing and letting us know how you are.  If I can help at all just let me know....
lots of love
Sarah

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

We are here for you, Helena... I hope everything turns out ok.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Helena  :hug:   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Support and hugs and care is the best treatment in every situation. i hope it's just a regular health check  :pray:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Julia bear_wub

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Yep Definitely been there, I'll be praying for you. Some times even when a cyst shows up unclear they will call you back for more tests just to be sure. Both of my Grandmothers had Breast CA. So Ladies have your Mammo's!!@!
hugs,
kathy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Helena,
(I sent you a PM before reading this!)
I'm sorry to hear about what you are facing.
I'm hoping and praying that the mam was misread or that whatever they did see is nothing of concern and you once again get the all clear!
Do keep us posted after your appointment on Thursday!
Daphne

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Keeping my thoughts with you........
:hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:    :hug:

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad  These scares are hard to take, but keep smiling, Helena!  bear_original  We're all here praying and cheering and crossing all our crossables for you!  :hug:

I had a breast cyst removed several years back. It turned out to be nothing to worry about, but the waiting and anxiety nearly did me in. Fortunately, treatment has improved by miles in the last few years!

Hugs and prayers and good thoughts,
Eileen

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Helena,
                Lots of Hugs coming your way my dear. I have been there twice before ,but it in the end it was ok,but it does not stop you worrying . Think as positively as you can and we at TT will always be here for you. 

Take Care
Rita xxxxx

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I know how scarey anything like that is! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  I am speaking from personal experience.  Love and support comming your way.  Please keep us posted!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh dear, Helena,

You are wise to face it head on, and we will be praying for you that all goes well this time too...it is scarry... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

bear_flower

dilu

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Helena, I am sorry you are having to worry so! Listen, all will be fine, you just wait and see! I feel it in my heart. We have breast cancer in my Moms side as well. I know you are worried but just take the best of care right now and do fun things to take your mind off of it. You are in our thoughts and prayers my dear!

Many Hugs Louise

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Oh my, you have all brought tears to my eyes with your support and kindness  :hug:

It's a hard subject to talk about isn't it? But so many of us face it. I feel better already - posting here has been a tonic and I'll let you know how the appointment goes. Massive hugs to everyone, especially those who face any kind of illness in the family.

bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My dear Helena . . . you have all of us here at TT facing this with you - we care about your diagnosis and whatever the results are, we will be with you during the days after your appointment.  My sister and maternal aunt have/had breast cancer, so I get monitored also.  I do know your anxiety!  Please know that we are here if you have questions or want to vent or just need to get some TLC.  Much good luck and my thoughts will be with you.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Sue Ann...thankyou  :hug:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Helea
Add my hugs to the rest. I have been there. EVERY time I get my mamo they have me come back. 5 years ago they had me come back for a biopsy. Then 2 weeks later they told me I had breast cancer. Now THAT  was scary!. Then they sent me to a cancer center in LA but before my appointment they called me in to say they "think" it is atypical hyperplasia"  instead. Atypical hyperplasia is just one step before cancer. So I kept my appointment in LA anyway. They concurred that it was atypical hyperplasia and thankfully the biopsy removed all the abnormal cells. So after more frequent mommos, they still say all is well. But I STILL end up going back every time I have a mammo for a re-check. They never find anything on the re-check, but I don't mind going back because I would rather them be extra careful rather than miss something.
Keep positive thoughts.
Hugs
Sonya

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Helena,
Sending you Huge Huge Virtual Hugs :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
I hope everything will be fine and will be thinking of you especially Thursday bear_flower  bear_flower
Take Care and try not to worry too much  bear_flower
Enormouse HUGS
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Anne

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Big Hugs! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
I know you are worried, but hang in there and keep thinking positive thoughts.
Take care and keep us posted.
Joan

lulu sweet souls
canton, new york

Dear Helena,

:hug:  I just experienced a very similar thing two weeks ago so I can empathize very well.  The anxiety is horrendous isn't it.  I'm certain you will be in all the Teddy Talkers' prayers.

Try to keep in mind.... 1. Over 90% of findings are eventually determined to be benign.  2. If even the slightest shadow shows on your mammo the radiologist will order magnifications and ultrasound to be certain nothing is missed. 3. You have had regular screenings so even if there is a problem it has been found early. 4. You are not alone... please don't hesitiate to contact me if you just need to vent about all that is happening.

In my case I noticed a dimple in my left breast.  It was small so for a few weeks I tried to convince myself that it was my imagination.  And it helped that sometimes it was very noticeable and other times quite evident.  I finally had the mammogram and sure enough an ultrasound was ordered... they found nothing!!!  The anxiety is still with me  because I still have the dimple but to a lesser degree... and now I have to go for a surgical evaluation.  Obviously something must be causing the dimple so the surgeon will determine if there needs to be further exploration.  I hope not and I'm tempted to not even go to the appointment... but I know that would probably be foolish.  Besides... even biopsies and fine needle aspirates are more often than not satisfactory reports.

So, think positively, and remember this is most probably just routine follow-up.   But... PLEASE... let us know how it comes out.  I know I will be worrying a bit right along with you until it is over!

(((((hugs)))))

Luv,

Louisa

Board footer