Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Okay, so here's my problem.

As I mentioned in another post, I am making a piece for TBAI.  Part of it is a "cigar box purse", to hold the bear I'm making, that I am painting, decoupaging, etc. to match my chosen theme:  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

You can buy these "cigar box purses" at Michael's.  Michael's also sell handles for the boxes, and hinges, etc.  I bought a handle and some alphabet beads to spell out, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on the handle.  It all looked great!

This is the exact size box I am using, and the type of handle I bought.... as decorated and displayed on the Michael's site.

e02428_ma.jpg

Everything was looking great, that is, until I tried to actually USE the handle.

Turns out, those pre-made handles are terribly cheaply made.  I've gone thru two of them now; the little screw-on piece at either end of the handle (you unscrew them to add beads to the handle, then screw them back on to "close") keeps either stripping the threads on the wire handle piece, or just plain breaking off!  In other words, I can't USE those handles.  They are way too fragile!  And they come in the package already messed up; the threads are already misaligned, so simply unscrewing the handle ends breaks the handle before you even begin!  AARGH!

So, given all the work I've already put into the box,  I need to come up with some other handle concept if this is to continue being a "purse" concept... preferably a handle concept that allows me to still use my alphabet beads.

Anyone have any bright ideas?  We have a lot of crafty folk on this board who are into way more than just bearmaking.  Help me brainstorm!

I've considered using a drawer pull for the handle, and then using some kind of string or wire on my wooden box for the beads... but I can't "picture" how it would look, or where to put the strung words.

Helppppppppp!

ellen ontario, canada

hmmmmmm....could you permanently attach that handle ...or just some wire?  there must be insert holes in the box already (from the original handle) - so you could feed wire through the lid/top and simply twist or curl them on the inside to secure it.  then you could still put the beads on the wire/handle.  you can find some nifty coloured wire these days.   *still pondering*

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Good point.  No holes in the box, tho.  The handle ends have little "loops", and the "loops" are held onto the box top by two little brackets.

ellen ontario, canada

hmmmmm, are the brackets screwed on or glued?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Screwed on.  So if I use the brackets, any handle I would attach would have to also have little "loops" at the ends.  Wish I could find a better picture... can't, tho. bear_sad

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Ooh!  Found one.  This is what the locally available handles at Michael's look like, and the problem I'm having is that the end pieces -- which screw off -- keep breaking, so I can't re-attach them.  I'm doing it so, so carefully; they're just badly made. ;(

purse-handles-bf-14.jpg

ellen ontario, canada

okey dokey!  i think you could make your own better handles....just with plain (or fancy) wire (check the beading section) inserted thru the brackets...or take the brackets off and insert the wire thru the holes from the screws.
you could even curl the ends into fancy shapes..rather than try to hide them somewhere some how.

ellen ontario, canada

ORRRRRRRR!
rather than unscrewing the original handle and eventually breaking it - why not leave the handle alone and wire your letters on with separate wire...?
i've seen this idea on bracelets & neckalces....even on napkin rings!  wish I had a picture now.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I think I get what you mean, but that's not quite the effect I was after.  I wanted the beads to BE the handle, ya know?  Man, I hate when lousy manufacturing gets in the way of a good idea.

I think I may end up going with your idea of getting some thick wire and then threading it thru the brackets and creating an interesting loopy or twirly shape.  That kinda "goes" with the Willy Wonka concept!  THANK YOU. bear_original

ellen ontario, canada

not to worry!  you'll come up with something - and everybuddy else here will have ideas!
bear_happy

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hmmm,....I have a few ideas....Use leather jewlery ( eye ) cord ? String the beads onto it  Cord can even be braided.

Perhaps several narrow ribbions can be  braided together to use for the handle....attach with several knots at each end...maybe you could even leave long colorful ribbion tails at the handle ends.....Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

If the wire handle idea doesnt' work out, Shelli, how about using the drawer pull you mentioned, and stringing the beads on wire inserted through the band of the box lid so the words run across the top-front of the purse.  The wire ends could be inserted through the band and secured inside by coiling and gluing something over the coil to hold it still.  On the outside, to finish the ends of the beaded words, something decorative could be glued over the places where the wire enters the band.  If the string of beads sagged too much, you could couch the wire down with more wire, "stitching"  almost invisibly through the box band in a few places along the length of the wire. bear_original

ellen ontario, canada

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
bear_happy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You guys are stars.  Actually, Winney, you've given me a lift with your idea of trailing ribbons.  I'm gonna try to incorporate that. 

Laure, your idea of couching the wire onto the front band is wonderful.  I considered stringing the wording there but thought it would sag and couching didn't even occur to me.  Now, how to actually DO the couching... maybe small holes are required.  Must... think...

Thanks, ladies!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Shelli,

It sounds to me as if those end pieces are not very well machined, possibly a bit corroded.

If you want to try again with this type of handle (getting your money back first for the other two), you might try a little spray lubricant on the end pieces  before unscrewing them. Let it sit there for a while, then turn the loopy end piece first clockwise (tighten), then counterclockwise (loosen). You might not be able to tighten it at all, but the movement alone tends to loosen a screw more gently. This might be just enough to get the shaft out of the loopy end without breaking the handle or stripping the threads.

If this works, you could fasten the handle through little holes in the box using washers and locknuts, which would give you a stronger hold.

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

They're not well machined, but probably even more significant to this problem, the metal is about as rigid and sturdy as a piece of vellum.  It's like... solder.  Just twisting the end cap off breaks the threaded portion of the handle right off, and leaves it stuck in the "hole" part of the end cap.  Ugh.

Happily, these things cost about $2 or less each.  I'm less worried about getting my money back than I am about staying on target with my timeframe.  It also bugs me to HAVE TO make extra trips to the craft store when I would otherwise (for once) rather be plowing thru my workload.

Anyway... enough griping, Shelli!  Thanks for the idea, esp. about using lubricant.  I didn't think of that either!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shelli

I can't help you but I surely do want to see this collaberative purse!

It is sounding better and better!

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shelli, What if you used the same original handle but reinforced the underside of the purse lid with wood.  You could cut the wood to be a close fit , securing it with E6000 glue.  Then you would be able to actually use the handles without the worry of breaking the lid.  HHHHHMMMMMM.....just another thought for the pot!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Wow you ladies are inventive, looks like Shelli has some things to go on!

I have a box bag bear_laugh  I made it myself, and I just used a draw handle - It's painted in lumieres and has photos of Classic Movie stars.  What fun!

I just wanted to wish Shelli luck - sounds like an awesome project!

White City, Oregon

Glad we could help out Shelli...I just thought ..if you need to do any secured stitching ... use invisible thread or fishline...
Another neat cord - ribbon - ?  idea is to look over in the needle canvas supplies ? for hanks of colored satin and metallic cords offered in several mm sizes.. they are put up in hanks like emb. thread. I designed  a fabric hot air ballon for a little bear to ride in a small basket and had to invent some way to do the ballon netting  ( whatcha ma call it ) and found this string/ cord to be just so perfect, it can also be braided or doubled together for a variety of effects...or beads can be strung on .  Just thought...it may be called rat tail cord...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Okay, so considering all the options and possibilities, plus the limitations of time, materials, and skills (!), here's what I came up with for my TBAI piece.  The bear is WILLY WONKA and his cigar box purse display holds a POTBELLY BEARS mug filled with saltwater taffy, plus a copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, upon which the entire piece is based.

cigar-box-purse.jpgwilly-wonka-closeup.jpgwilly-wonka-gallery-present.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas and suggestions; they helped land me at the solution I ultimately found!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Wow,you guys have such awesome ideas!! I love your piece Shelli,just wonderful!! I'm sure it's going to be a smash hit.How wonderful that you have all these creative people to help,I didn't even realize there was so much support out there among bear artists until I stumbled on this board.I had heard rumors and new that "bear people" were the best but I just had no idea.Oh happy day!Blessings all,Shari.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

He's just wonderful Shelli...almost good enough to EAT!!:DI like your compromise...putting the letter blocks around his hat instead of the basket handle....and really, you wouldn't have seen the lettering with the basket open anyways. But sometimes it's hard to see these things until the idea has been worked right thru isn't it? He'll be a smash hit for sure.:cool:

White City, Oregon

Wonderful Shelli !!! That turned out so well...I too think the letters around the hat is a way better idea as it shows up all the time with the bear...He is sure to be a great smash!!! .......Winney

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh Shelli - that is gorgeous!!!! I am sure you'll have a win under his hat!  Great bear, just adorable

Pages:

Board footer