Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

After around four years of bear making this is my most recent bear.  He is 8 inches tall and has a sculpted face (although you can't see because of all the fur :lol:)

I donated him to the RSPCA so that they could raise funds by using him in a 'guess the name of the bear' competition.

After seeing everyones bears on here I have to admit that I'm a little disheartened with my own as many people have only been making them for half the time that I have and are a million times better than I am.

I'm not sure if it was a mistake when I first started but I only made a couple of bears using a pattern and then I started to devise my own because I couldn't wait.  I also cannot seem to choose a preferred style such as traditional or realistic bears and keep dabbling in everything which I suppose makes it harder to perfect a certain type of bear.

If anyone can give me any feedback or advice on the best course of action it would be very much appreciated.

1410297762_sho_1.jpg

1410297781_sho_2.jpg

Tedz Tedz

I think he's good. bear_wub I can't give advice on fabric bear making as it's not something I really do, but he looks good to me!  I too, don't have a preferred style.  Well, I do.  If I'm buying a bear I'll always opt for something traditional.  I'm just drawn to the old style and feel of a firmly stuffed, threadbare kind of bear.  But when it comes to making bears, I like the freedom of doing something completely different.  There's no right or wrong in my opinion.  For me, I want to enjoy what I'm doing, not feel that I have to stick to a certain style.  I would really say follow your heart on that one.

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Thank you.  I think following your heart is good advice because I would never want my bear-making to feel like a chore because at the moment it is a fun hobby.

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

You've definitely improved with practice. Do we get to know what his name is? bear_grin

I'm having trouble settling on a style too. I guess experimentation is the only way to discover that sort of thing about yourself.

In the future, maybe a shorter fur length would be better for showing the detail of the bear, especially if you're going to all the work of sculpting the face. But all the plush toys I've made were from other types of fabric, so my advice may be wrong regarding faux fur.

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Your post made me giggle CrawlyCreepies - trying to catch me out by giving his name  bear_grin

I did actually post his name initially, realised and then edited the post about an hour later  ;).  I can be such a zombie sometimes.

Your advice was really good because I think I do need to use a shorter fur pile for that size bear or make the bear bigger so that you can see the detail.  I'm working on one at the moment that is very similar and the fur is lovely and soft but a lot shorter so that the detail can be seen.  I'll post some pictures when I finish him to get some honest advice.

You made my day in saying that I've definitely improved because I'm so critical of myself that after seeing the gorgeous bears on here it makes me wonder if mine will ever be as good.

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

I have the same problem with comparing my work to others (more about drawing than sewing though). The hardest part is turning it into motivation rather than discouragement.

Good luck with your new bear!

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

I think your Teddybear is lovely,beautiful fabric  bear_wub .We tend to be our own most fiercest critics and home in on every little imperfection whereas others see the overall result.
He has a very endearing expression and definitely says "will you be my mummy?". I see your nose embroidery is great,that's my struggle,and those paw pads are perfect.I find every bear I make teaches me something,like the 'too big nose' bear,the 'crooked ears' bear and the 'bulging footpads bear'  bear_grin
so the most important thing is to enjoy the craft and have fun.
Very generous gesture to support a good cause bear_thumb .

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Thank you for the encouragement everyone.  I guess practice makes perfect  bear_happy

I really struggle with embroidering the nose most of the time student bearmaker but this guy was one of the successes bear_original .  I don't know if it helps but I've found that using wool felt for the footpads is brilliant.  It usually gives an overall neat effect more so than ultradsuede which I found much harder to work with.

It is a nice feeling helping to raise money for charity so I'm going to make them another bear for an event they're having in October.

Infinite hugs

Rin

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_wub He is lovely and a very appealing bear! and I think you need to give your self a break. As student bears maker said we are our own worst enemies and I too use to get disheartened when I saw amazing work then look at my own. But now I see amazing work as inspirational and it helps me to keep working hard to learn the skills that can only come by persistent effort. Most of the best artist that I admire have been at it for a long time and have built up their experience over years. Every one learns at a different pace (think about kids leaning to walk and talk it happens when it happens)
Try to relax and enjoy the journey  bear_original Your doing great!
michelle

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Thanks Michelle.

I will try to stay positive and use the bears people have made on here as inspiration for what I want to achieve with more practise  bear_happy

Board footer