Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Hi all
thinking of making a very soft bear with weight and was wondering about using some 'baby fat'. I think it's what they use in the new born dolls. It is a bit pricey so I was wondering if any of you out there had used it and what kind of feel does it give? The jelly blobs look quite big and I don't want my bear to feel she is full of beans. My initial thoughts were to make a smaller inner body full of baby fat so it won't all end up in her bottom and then the gap between inner and outer stuffed with a high loft filling (and a similar process for the head & limbs). I am thinking of a bear under 35cm/14". Could I also cut the jelly blobs in half or are they too firm and slippery? I really would like the head to feel heavy in your hands but it may be difficult to get the bears balance right when sitting. How heavy is the babyfat? and would 1kg be enough for what I am thinking of?
Over to you  bear_original .......
michelle

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The blobs are described as between 3-5 mm if that helps. I would think that using a bag of the blobs (in the same way we would use a bag of steel BBs, for example) would give you some weight, but you'd still want to stuff firmly around it (to keep the bag from shifting), which would pretty much defeat the purpose? Let us know if you try it!  bear_flower

Becky

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

I stuffed my second plush dog with these. They add a squidgy feel to whatever you put them in, which I guess is why they use them to put in reborn babies.  The less tight you pack them, the more 'floppy' the body is. I put them in a pouch I made, then put this in the body, so that they'd 'flop' without clumping up in other parts of the dog bear_tongue .

They are oblique/clear, it's quite difficult to explain exactly what they feel like, the best I can think of is that their like little blobs of silicone, and although they seem ultra light when you pick a few up, they really add weight to your plushie! They don't go that far IMO, I got a large freezer ziplock type 1kg bag of them, and have used up most of them in one 11" dog, certainly you wouldn't get more than one plushie out of a bag, unless they were really small, or you used them sparingly. I wouldn't fill the whole body up again, too costly, but they work out well if you just put a small pouch in the belly of the plush though, as it makes it realistically squashy. And no you can't cut them in half, you'd be there forever and a day bear_laugh .

Derbyshire
Website

Thank you Becky and PlushPuppy  bear_thumb they do sound what I am after I will let you know how I get on but it will be a while yet as I haven't even started my pattern yet
michelle

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have looked into these, and I believe they are very similar to what CR Crafts calls "soft pellets." I use them all the time in my bears bellies. They are clear soft pellets, that are kind of squishy. They stick together better than the hard bean bag pellets.

I use them with polyester, and bbs. I kind of line the inside of the body with polyester, then I add the pellets, layer poly, stir it all up with my hands. What happens is a soft body that holds it's shape. The pellets do now slide down the body and gather at the bottom.

I love the way the bear feels. I have used them always since the first time. Makes the bear feel real.

Derbyshire
Website

Wow thank you Joanne that is even better if I don't even have to faff about making an inner core but can just mix them in and among the stuffing bear_thumb making the bear feel real is exactly what I was going for. Rin has given me a great idea about using the curtain weights too. As they come in a string I was thinking that it would be possible to attach them to the joint at the top and they would give an inner weight though out the middle of the arms and legs, They would even fit down the middle of armature . Can't wait to give this a try  bear_original I just love TT everyone is just so helpful  bear_flower
michelle

Derbyshire
Website

Well my pellets arrived and I absolutely love them bear_wub Oh dear I'm afraid I could easily want to fill all my bears with these and they cost lots of £  bear_rolleyes If you want to add the hug factor these are perfect. Thank you Becky Plushpuppy and Joanne for the  incouragement to go ahead bear_flower
michelle

Board footer