Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

prototypepanda.jpgI don't know if this belongs in the tips 'n tricks section...am trying to make a panda with actual fur patches instead of coloring the fur after everything's all sewn together...when the eye patches are maybe 1/4" x 1/4", it gets to be a real pain sewing 'em---they've got a tendency to go off in different directions.

I'm making them so that there's one patch piece for the eye patch...it gets sewn firstly into the side of the head, then has a little bump left over to be put into the head gusset.  However, since the eyes go right on top, plus the needlesculpting, I'm thinking I could just sew the bottom part of the patch into the side of the head and not leave the little bump to be sewn into the head gusset.

I know Amanda does little pandas, and I saw Melissa's adorable little Eithne..and Anne's delightful Pan Pei Min...here's a photo of mine---help!  = )

Amelia

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Hi Amelia,
I think you are so brave trying patches like this - my pandas all have had hand coloured  patches using the equivalent of Karisma artist pencils - I get a darker colour by using the pencils with water so it is a bit like a water colour.
So I am sorry but I cannot help with insert panda patches - however I am sure that if you try a search on TT using the words panda patches - there has been a posting about them before - Paula (All Bears) had great suggestions I think and of course there were others I jsut cant remember who.
Hope you find what you are looking for
:hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_1004.JPGIMG_0672.JPGHello Amelia. On the pink Panda I did I sort of ladder stitched them in, turning as I went. Then I did tiny little stitches that disapeared in the fur. On the Albie one (black and off white) I needlefelted them and on Ralphy I shaded with pens. See what you think. I prefer to shade now, but thats just the mood I'm in.

IMG_0898.gif

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I also just shade my pandas instead of inseting patches... bear_original

Kalispell, Montana

Thank you, Anne, Amanda and Kim!  That helps out alot to see your eyes, Amanda, and Anne, I never even thought of searching "panda patches"  I just looked up "panda".  Am off to do that right now!!  And Kim, as soon as I sell some more more and not SPEND it all, I'm definitely going to be buying some Copic markers to shade.

Thank you all for such helpful advice!  = )

Amelia

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Amelia!  I've only done just a couple of pandas ever... so I'm afraid that I'm not of much use on this topic... but I wanted to say that your panda you have pictured above really does seem to be turning out quite well!    That "long pile" fur can be so hard to work with the smaller you go.... So.. is this panda going to have a sweet little dolly friend!?

bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Kalispell, Montana

Actually, this little guy is for a swap---are any of you familar with artist holly-noelle on eBay?  Holly bought one of my bears awhile back, and she contacted me afterwards and wanted to know if I would like to swap one of my creations for one of her creations..

holly.JPG

..so, once I get all the kinks ironed out with this pattern, am going to make the real swap bear.  Holly's crazy about my little unicorns, so the panda will have two unicorn companions, one white with gold horn and one black with silver horn---she's naming 'em Ying and Yang.  =)

I can't wait to finish this swap up to get my poseable unicorn she's making for me! 

Amelia

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Is that your unicorn? She is beautiful!

Kalispell, Montana

Actually, no, that's just one of Holly's poseables.  She's making me one with a snowflake theme as I live in Montana, land of snow and ice.

Here're what my little fribble unicorns look like:

unicorn.jpg

woods.jpg

Holly does magnificent, MARVELOUS work.  She's amazing.

Amelia

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

HE HE HE your unicorns are cute! I can see why she likes them!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I 'spoke' to Holly not long ago, a real nice friendly lady. That reminds me to get some photos done, I promised to show her my black and white panda. Right I'm off to do that, see you all soon.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, both of your unicorns are awsome! WHat a cool way to get a trade.
Thanks for sharing

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Amelia

Sorry joining this conversation a bit late but since you mentioned Eithne, I thought I'd let you knw what I do.  Firstly, let me say wow, I think you are very clever for using eye patches - I don't even try.

Personally, I like to use hand drawn patches on my bears and even then I tend to use teeny tiny spots of colour rather than full on eye patches.  If I'm doing a black and white panda I'll usually use pencils as I like the subtle black more than a hard black.

Oh, and on minis Prismacolor pens are much easier to use than copic markers.  I think they bleed  a little less and they have a nice fine point.  Eithne had just a touch of dark brown under her eye.

Board footer